General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here Tri with fibromyalgie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 10:22 AM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: New here Tri with fibromyalgie
Hi guys and girls,

I'm 39 and moved from Holland to Florida and am overweight and have fibromyalgie.

I've tried to work out in the past, but always had to stop due to injury.

This time I also over reached and was TIRED and overtraining according to my polar. So I took 3 days off and now I set my goals really low.

I don't know what my limits are and before I made a schedule here on the website I did a 3.2 run untrained and then was TIRED again for a few days.

I've paid for the gold member ship and had a schedule made for me. I stick to the schedule. (Sprint distance in 22 weeks).

My VO2 max is a lot better than the condition of my joints, so every time I have to stop just when it was getting fun. But it seems to work. Knee and shoulder show no signs of pain. I stretch my tight but muscle with yoga too and after work out put ice on my problem zones.

I also lie down for an hour after workout and don't move on to my house chores without a break.

Keeping my heart rate in zone during workout is a good prevention of fatigue.

All of this is working and finally am loosing weight as a bonus. 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

2014-09-18 4:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: New here Tri with fibromyalgie

Welcome!  Definitely stick to the schedule - don't try to do more than the workout calls for.  

If that is still keeping you too tired, dial back the rest weeks to every 2 weeks (2 weeks on, 1 week rest) if you haven't already.  If the plan is still too aggressive for the recovery you need, please followup here or pm me and we can look at alternative plans - there are several tweaks and tricks we can use to dial back a plan.

Congrats on the weightloss!  Just be careful to keep your workouts fueled.  With Fibro we wouldn't want a big deficit of calories to impact recovery.  A decent article to read on this is:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2498 

2014-09-18 8:34 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, quite impressive that you are training for a triathlon with the condition fibromyalgia. Much kudos to you and best of luck in your journey! Keep us posted and welcome to the USA and to BT!!!!
2014-09-19 4:49 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Thanks for the reply. I'm really happy with this website and with the schedule too. My Polar gives me accurate info on how well I recover with the orthostatic test. I'm impressed with this device. It also gives my training load and takes into consideration my daily activity too!!

I'm currently working with a custom made work out schedule and have a recovery week after 2 weeks. With this schedule it is going good.

Only the swimming is really exhausting and my heart rate goes to 145 after 25 yards of freestyle stroke. So I need to recover 25 yards. This makes it some sort of interval work out and yesterday I was feeling 'overtrained' after 30 minutes of swimming. According to the schedule I'm supposed to swim 38 minutes this Saturday and am not really looking forward to that.

So I tried to make another custom plan, but whatever I do, it gives me LONG swim workout.

When I look at the pre made beginner Sprint workouts I don't see such long swim workouts and according to those plans I shouldn't be swimming 38 minutes until in the third month.

So OK.......maybe I should go with one of those plan, because I feel good with 20 minutes run and 30 minutes bike and 20 minutes of swimming each sport 3 times a week. With the strength training I work out 1 muscle group per day to prevent injury.

In some way it is 'fun' to have fibromyalgie cause I'm really sensitive to every thing that is bad for me. It makes me listen to my body and discover my body's wisdom. Where other people won't notice that they have been over training for months and have a total break down, I notice it within one day. In one day I can have all those tippical symptoms like fatigue, insomnia, motivation loss, increased heart rate etc.

Thank God a good night sleep will make it all good again.

The same goes for gluten and dairy products. Have been experimenting the past week and now I know it for sure......those things are not good to eat. The best thing is to have a green smoothy for breakfast and a salad for lunch and a paleo dinner.
2014-09-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I could use some of your amazing positive attitude, you are an inspiration!

As far as swimming wearing tiring you out, I'd suggest cutting back from what the plan says and gradually increase. You may even need to stretch your plan out from x weeks to 2x weeks to accommodate your needs. I've always been a self coached athlete and tweaked my plans (which I got from here and sometimes from a book) according what my body was telling me I needed. If you can afford a coach, it might be worth getting some help there too.

Good luck!!!!
2014-09-22 6:47 AM
in reply to: #5051630

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Thank you Keyone for your reply. I have been messing about with various plans and have found one that is good for me I think. It has more biking than swimming in it and is basically a volume builder over 20 weeks. I could even stretch it out more if desired.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here Tri with fibromyalgie Rss Feed