General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I worried for no reason?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-18 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Am I worried for no reason??

Good Morning BTer's!

So, I've got my first international distance race on Sunday. My 30th birthday was this past weekend, and somewhere in between then and now my motivation has decreased (just look at my logs), while soreness and stiffness have dramatically increased in my left leg and shoulders/neck.

I'm sure some of the stiffness is due to being out of my routine, and not getting all of those workouts in. Some of it does concern me though-it has been affecting my running stride, so instead of running, I did some yoga this morning to try to stretch everything out.

My question is, should I be worried about finishing this race? I know the run will be a struggle, but for some reason my lack of motivation and the stiffness this week is really getting me down-I feel like I'm not even close to ready. I want to have fun (thanks Kathy ) and stay positive, but I'm not feeling it right now.

Thanks BTers! Have a great weekend! Happy training, and good luck to all those racing.

2006-08-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #515463

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Am I worried for no reason??
Did you train??? Of course you did! So you can make it.

The battle to finish a tri is not really on race day, it is all the hard work you put in months before. If you did the training, you can go the distance in the race.

Rest and relax and let your body recover itself for the big day. You'll do well and finish strong if you keep your mind in it.

Good luck!
2006-08-18 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Hey Sass--

After checking your logs, I think you're absolutely fine for finishing. As many others will also tell you, by now "the money is in the bank" and your recent decrease in training volume won't affect you that much. Take today off, then get in 10-15 minutes of each sport just to refresh yourself on the finer points of technique in each. This will also help loosen you up. Best of luck and I'll look forward to reading your RR after you finish your first OLY!
2006-08-18 9:00 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

You've trained the body, now train the mind.  Remember, we always get what we expect.  If you expect to finish the race,  you will.  If however you expect to have troubles, chances are you will.

Make sure you make full use of your strongest asset in racing....your mind and your thoughts!

2006-08-18 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Judging from your 06 log, you will be fine on the swim and the ride, little lite on run volume, but so what, if you need to walk a bit, walk....barring unforeseen, my money is on you to have a fine race!
2006-08-18 9:08 AM

Veteran
You're a young pup!

Yes, you're worried for no reason.

Just consider this your taper.

Race well!

2006-08-18 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Just wanted to tell you that you're not alone.  My first OLY distance race is on Sunday as well and I'm really starting to freak out!  Like you, I'm suddenly worried that I'm not ready.  Just focus on staying calm and having fun!  Like others have said, you've put in the hard work so no need to worry about it now!  Good luck!!!
2006-08-18 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I do not know. I ran my slowest marathon ever right after I turned 30.

The day I turned 30 I could barely move and I was so sore. Then again I ran my first Ultra like 2 days before hand. Also my marathon I gained like 10 lbs right before it and I did not do any training really for like 1 month.

4 months after I turned 30 I ran my fastest marathon of my life.

Moral of the story. Once you turn 30 its goes down hill for a month or 2 and then you get super fast.
2006-08-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #515808

User image

Runner
chirunner134 - 2006-08-18 1:47 PM
Moral of the story. Once you turn 30 its goes down hill for a month or 2 and then you get super fast.

Really? Cool! Then I'll be getting fast right when Baltimore hits! Go me!
2006-08-18 1:37 PM

User image

Elite

PM sent.

Allison, you've got this race in the bag.  Don't let your mind tell you otherwise.

We'll ALL be pulling for you to finish strong! 

2006-08-18 2:15 PM

User image

Two weeks ago, I was in the exact position you're in.  Stressing about the race on a whole, fretting about the run, at one point, I even contemplated not doing the race for fear of failure.  I went into the race on two hours of sleep because I was so worried.

Know what?  I did just fine.. and you will too.

Good luck.  Have fun.  Don't forget to smile at the finish line.

2006-08-18 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah I think its a rule that if you do not worry about a race your really not doing one.
2006-08-18 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Thanks BT, I appreciate it. Yes, I am a worrier, but you all have helped a bunch! Thanks very much!!!!

2006-08-18 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Sassafras - 2006-08-18 9:41 AM

Good Morning BTer's!

So, I've got my first international distance race on Sunday. My 30th birthday was this past weekend, and somewhere in between then and now my motivation has decreased (just look at my logs), while soreness and stiffness have dramatically increased in my left leg and shoulders/neck.

My question is, should I be worried about finishing this race? I know the run will be a struggle, but for some reason my lack of motivation and the stiffness this week is really getting me down-I feel like I'm not even close to ready. I want to have fun (thanks Kathy ) and stay positive, but I'm not feeling it right now.

Cool...I'm quoted in a post....no really...having fun and enjoy the day is most important. I struggle with motivation and confidence as well....my A race an Int'l is in 9 days

Since you have cut down on workouts sometimes our bodies act weird. I had a very very light recovery/rest/travel week last week and this week my legs have been sore...so strange since I didn't do much. Now my legs are getting back to normal.

You have trained that is the work, now you get the reward for all your hard work in the race this weekend. Yes you can finish....will you enjoy yourself? have fun? ...that is where you have control of your mind which is often one of the most undertrained aspect of triathlons in my opinion.

I think often when we have a big challenge and something we have trained long for, we have doubts about our abilities and if we trained enough and shows it is important to you. Part of that is gearing up to complete the challenge. Does your abilites/training match up well with the race....look at your logs and you know the answer...you can do it!

I can't wait to read your RR and see how much you enjoyed it and how much fun you had during your first Oly. Hey we're doing HIM next year....this is your first step up to longer races. Conquer this so next year we can do longer races.....6+ hours of racing...fun stuff!

Edited by KathyG 2006-08-18 7:35 PM
2006-08-19 9:04 AM
in reply to: #516148

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

You have trained that is the work, now you get the reward for all your hard work in the race this weekend. Yes you can finish....will you enjoy yourself? have fun? ...that is where you have control of your mind which is often one of the most undertrained aspect of triathlons in my opinion.

I think often when we have a big challenge and something we have trained long for, we have doubts about our abilities and if we trained enough and shows it is important to you. Part of that is gearing up to complete the challenge. Does your abilites/training match up well with the race....look at your logs and you know the answer...you can do it!

(Kathy G.)

I am in the exact same place as you...my first Oly tomorrow and part of me is saying, "you can do it, you just want to finish with a smile..." and the other part of me is saying "you ain't ready, baby". But what Kathy says above is absolutely true. I think of some of the quotes on this sight...

"A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong."

and...

"If you think you can or cannot, you're right"

and my favorite..."Real winning has nothing to do with beating someone else or crossing the finish line first or standing on top. Winning isn't anything external at all. It is an internal satisfaction, a deep inner sense of pride and joy"

Just think, we will all be out there doing it together

Edited by willow 2006-08-19 9:07 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I worried for no reason?? Rss Feed