General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long did it take you to learn flip turns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #5051880

User image

Subject: RE: How long did it take you to learn flip turns?
I learned as an adult. I think probably 18 months ago maybe. I think it makes a pretty significant impact on endurance because of the breath holding part. Of course there's no wall in open water but if I miss a breath in open water now I'm much calmer. As for how long it took - honestly a few months and I'm still not great compared to lifetime swimmers. But it's automatic now and I can do a whole practice with them. I started by just doing them in warm up. Then all turns on one wall. Then added more in. I do still get flustered if I'm in a busy lane and don't have much space.

2014-09-20 7:01 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by miamiamy

I learned as an adult. I think probably 18 months ago maybe. I think it makes a pretty significant impact on endurance because of the breath holding part. Of course there's no wall in open water but if I miss a breath in open water now I'm much calmer. As for how long it took - honestly a few months and I'm still not great compared to lifetime swimmers. But it's automatic now and I can do a whole practice with them. I started by just doing them in warm up. Then all turns on one wall. Then added more in. I do still get flustered if I'm in a busy lane and don't have much space.

You are right there is no wall in OW.

No wall to hold onto for a slow open turn so many triathletes do... a 2 to 3 sec open turn translates terribly to OW. Keep up the good work

2014-09-21 6:37 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

I never have. I do only open water swim races so what's the point?
2014-09-21 7:15 AM
in reply to: jwrichey

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by jwrichey I was 48. Two trips to the pool using the method in these videos. It works astoundingly well. Grab a pool noodle and work the process. (My belief is the major benefit is greater breath control and removing the inevitable momentary rest at each turn.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNLRh0ZrXqkJWR

I taught myself as an adult using these same videos! The noodle really helped define where my arms should be.

I had to do the same as you are doing - 10 min at the end of every swim and I DID NOT learn in one or two tries. I kept coming out of the turn in the wrong position and running into the wall on my right. I also had a few instances of coming out too deep and running into the bottom of the pool. Fun ha. 

I finally realized so much of it was about my head position and got it straightened out. I suffered some back issues and could not comfortably flip on every turn for a few years right after learning. Finally got that worked out and started flip turns for every turn last year. I had to fight through that feeling of losing my last breath before the turn because now I had conditioned myself NOT to flip on every turn!  I set a goal of swimming I think a 500 with flip turn every time and that was it, never looked back again.

If I can do it you can do it!

2014-09-21 6:03 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Thanks for the replies. I tried last week but after so much water up my nose, I said f' it and called it good. I plan to get back into it Monday. I know I'm not exhaling all the time, I am not leaving my arms towards the top of the water, and I'm tucking too much into a cannonball like position. I'm going to try to slow progression with those videos. I don't know why, but this is super hard for me. I know it's more mental than anything because of the stupid nose thing. Just like swimming in general....took me forever to finally not suck at it. I was able get a few 100 yds in 1:20 and a best of 1:16 2 weeks ago using open turns. It's just time for me to get this done though!
2014-09-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run I never have. I do only open water swim races so what's the point?

The point is that development of any skills that make you a better swimmer, cyclist, or swimmer will make you a better triathlete.

2014-09-21 7:57 PM

Originally posted by b2run I never have. I do only open water swim races so what's the point?

It's no problem to not to flip turns. 

I actually LOVE when people in masters don't flip turn - that's a guaranteed free 0.5-1.0 seconds at every wall push that I gain on them, effort free! 

But honestly, if I could say I swam 1:20/100yds with flips  or without flips, I'd def take WITHOUT, as it means I'd be swimming the equivalent of 1:17/100 for me due to the lost 2-3 seconds on the walls. 

I know there are actually quite a few forumites who swim <1:20/100 with no flips, but at least in the 3 masters groups I've been to, and at literally every pool I've been at, there have been zero swimmers going that fast who do not flip. IN fact, I have never seen any swimmer going faster than 1:30/100 not doing flip turns, myself, althogh I have a vague recollection on the forums that there are a few who say they swim that fast yet do not know how to flip. 

In masters, one of the best ways I use if the swimmer ahead is just a HAIR slower than me, and we're in the middle of a set, is to just stop flip turning so we're back to the same speed. 

2014-09-21 9:22 PM

Originally posted by b2run

Do you have a wind trainer, do you ever do running intervals, do you ever swim with paddles, fins, kick boards, do you ever do hill sprints....?? Do you swim in a squad??

2014-09-21 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by b2run

So you don't get a rest on an open turn.
2014-09-22 7:05 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--It totally screws up the progression in a master's lane even if you are swimming in the 1:30-1:35/100m range. Pretty much everyone at that level flips unless there are injury issues or something. I think my lanemates were ready to strangle me when I couldn't flip, because they kept catching me at the wall, but I kept hitting their feet if I went behind them. Makes it hard for everyone to keep a steady pace and know what order to go in, especially on longer swims.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long did it take you to learn flip turns? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Another reason to learn flip-turns

Started by Danno77
Views: 1671 Posts: 16

2014-08-07 3:56 PM Goggles Pizzano

Flip turns worth the energy/effort to learn? Pages: 1 2

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 3722 Posts: 42

2012-05-22 4:18 PM ecozenmama

Learn flip turns in 3 weeks? Indoor Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 2722 Posts: 32

2012-03-02 7:36 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Learn to do a flip turn! Pages: 1 2

Started by Dave Luscan
Views: 4252 Posts: 39

2010-11-11 3:03 PM moosh009

Questions about learning flip turns Pages: 1 2 3

Started by agarose2000
Views: 5007 Posts: 63

2009-12-16 5:23 PM E=H2O
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
At some point in your triathlon career you will need to master the art of the flip turn to continue your swimming progress.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.