General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's at fault? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-19 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Who's at fault?
At the race this past weekend, the RD started some of the faster cycling age groups in the last wave. I'm pretty sure this was done in order to minimize the amount of time a public road was closed. During the bike leg I witnessed two instances where a rider crossed the center line in order to make a pass. I had my GoPro on and the video links are below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCSfvx5t4JM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXGOZa3YPA

My question is who is at fault, the rider(s) for making the illegal pass or the RD for creating a rolling roadblock?

Just to give an example of just how crowded the course was, I averaged just over 20 mph and passed 147 riders in just under 10 miles. That works out to about 1 pass every 12 seconds.

Edited by cwpeters 2014-09-19 8:44 AM

2014-09-19 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Who's at fault?
IMO, anytime an athlete crosses the centre line, they are at fault.

Having said that, RDs can certainly create situations where athletes may feel compelled to break the rules due to course crowding (whether it be unsafe passing, drafting, etc) and should ensure that their races are structured in such a way to allow everyone to compete safely and within the rules.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2014-09-19 8:51 AM
2014-09-19 8:45 AM
in reply to: #5051980

User image

New user
it was th Dukes it was the Dukes
2014-09-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
You guys are too quick. I hit enter in the subject line instead of tab and it posted before I was ready.
2014-09-19 8:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

The cyclists are choosing to cross over the midline. Was the race like this for much of the course? Seems the race may have been a bit tight too. Doesn't have to be one or the other entirely at fault, but things everyone can do about it. RD's should try to set up so there isn't congestion, but when it does happen riders aren't necessarily forced over even though they may feel compelled to do so.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-19 8:59 AM
2014-09-19 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

athletes are at fault.  I'll be starting at the back of Augusta 70.3 next week and rolling past so many other AG'ers from slower waves in front of me.  I'm more worried about traffic on the bike than any other aspect of the race. 

2014-09-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by brigby1

The cyclists are choosing to cross over the midline. Was the race like this for much of the course? Seems the race may have been a bit tight too. Doesn't have to be one or the other entirely at fault, but things everyone can do about it. RD's should try to set up so there isn't congestion, but when it does happen riders aren't necessarily forced over even though they may feel compelled to do so.

The entire course had the cones down the middle of the road. The first and last 1.5 miles were on a very rough private road that caused the congestion in the first (longer) clip. Someone on the morning of the race was making announcements that "this is a friendly event and there should be no passing on the resort road." That would mean that 3 of the 10 miles were technically "no passing zones."
2014-09-19 9:22 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Admission: I have crossed the yellow line. More than once. Let the stoning begin.

I don't have any desire to cross the center line. Really. And I am generally a law abiding, rule following nice guy. But it has happened on occasion. And yes, it is my fault and if I get DQd I will accept responsibility for my actions.

Now for my complete jerk diatribe. It makes me crazy how many people ride their bikes to the left on the course. Even people passing others don't need to ride all of the way left on to the center line. Just move over far enough to safely get around the person in front of you while still leaving space to your left for riders faster than you. And don't get me started on racers that get in the left part of the lane and never move back to the right. Like it is unfathomable to them that someone could be riding faster than their 16 mph and want to pass them. I don't care if you are riding 27 mph, if you aren't passing stay to the right! I almost feel like the penalty for "blocking" should be the same as for drafting, four minutes in the tent. And our collective indignation should be just as much for people "cheating" by blocking others as it is for those cheating by drafting.

Wow. I'm not sure that I am quite as big a jerk as the post above makes me sound like, but maybe I am.
2014-09-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster Admission: I have crossed the yellow line. More than once. Let the stoning begin. I don't have any desire to cross the center line. Really. And I am generally a law abiding, rule following nice guy. But it has happened on occasion. And yes, it is my fault and if I get DQd I will accept responsibility for my actions. Now for my complete jerk diatribe. It makes me crazy how many people ride their bikes to the left on the course. Even people passing others don't need to ride all of the way left on to the center line. Just move over far enough to safely get around the person in front of you while still leaving space to your left for riders faster than you. And don't get me started on racers that get in the left part of the lane and never move back to the right. Like it is unfathomable to them that someone could be riding faster than their 16 mph and want to pass them. I don't care if you are riding 27 mph, if you aren't passing stay to the right! I almost feel like the penalty for "blocking" should be the same as for drafting, four minutes in the tent. And our collective indignation should be just as much for people "cheating" by blocking others as it is for those cheating by drafting. Wow. I'm not sure that I am quite as big a jerk as the post above makes me sound like, but maybe I am.

Dude - it's triathlon!!  It's all about the personal experience. What's your hurry?

2014-09-19 9:29 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Looking at the video, I don't see what else they could have done. Bad race design. They were crossing the line (at least in the clip) while the course was turning right for the most part, so they were adding distance, not cutting off turns. It also looked like there were some people statically riding next to each other, so if I was the faster rider, I would have done the same thing just to get out of the situation. Personally, I would have likely been one of the people crossing. If I was DQed or penalized, so be it, it would be the only way to race your race.

I did a race once where there was a 5k, 10k and half marathon on the same path. The RD had the half go first, then the 10k then the 5k. He also was supposed to space them by 5 minutes but the guy was a total spaz and was so riled up he yelled for the starts to be about 45 seconds apart, and it was a trail run. I was doing the 5k and it was an absolute cluster. That sort of thing drives me nuts.
2014-09-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: #5051980

That's pretty bad.especially the second one egg eye guy looked like he was going to hit the other ride head on.

My eyes may have deceived me but was the guy riding a hybrid with an aero helmet?

2014-09-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 3mar

Looking at the video, I don't see what else they could have done. Bad race design. They were crossing the line (at least in the clip) while the course was turning right for the most part, so they were adding distance, not cutting off turns. It also looked like there were some people statically riding next to each other, so if I was the faster rider, I would have done the same thing just to get out of the situation. Personally, I would have likely been one of the people crossing. If I was DQed or penalized, so be it, it would be the only way to race your race.

I did a race once where there was a 5k, 10k and half marathon on the same path. The RD had the half go first, then the 10k then the 5k. He also was supposed to space them by 5 minutes but the guy was a total spaz and was so riled up he yelled for the starts to be about 45 seconds apart, and it was a trail run. I was doing the 5k and it was an absolute cluster. That sort of thing drives me nuts.

NEVER MIND...I should have watched the second video...I didn't realize it was an out and back course with riders coming the other way. In that case, the riders are 100% in the wrong. That's a really dangerous situation. In that case, you ride your race, then go chew out the RD about a stupid race design.
2014-09-19 9:37 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by wannabefaster Admission: I have crossed the yellow line. More than once. Let the stoning begin. I don't have any desire to cross the center line. Really. And I am generally a law abiding, rule following nice guy. But it has happened on occasion. And yes, it is my fault and if I get DQd I will accept responsibility for my actions. Now for my complete jerk diatribe. It makes me crazy how many people ride their bikes to the left on the course. Even people passing others don't need to ride all of the way left on to the center line. Just move over far enough to safely get around the person in front of you while still leaving space to your left for riders faster than you. And don't get me started on racers that get in the left part of the lane and never move back to the right. Like it is unfathomable to them that someone could be riding faster than their 16 mph and want to pass them. I don't care if you are riding 27 mph, if you aren't passing stay to the right! I almost feel like the penalty for "blocking" should be the same as for drafting, four minutes in the tent. And our collective indignation should be just as much for people "cheating" by blocking others as it is for those cheating by drafting. Wow. I'm not sure that I am quite as big a jerk as the post above makes me sound like, but maybe I am.

Dude - it's triathlon!!  It's all about the personal experience. What's your hurry?

Personal experience.... It's all about me, me, me

And yes, I know, sometimes the course is too crowded for people to move right. It happens. I accept that. But all too often folks have absolutely no awareness of the course, the people around them, and how their actions are affecting others. Wait, maybe this post belongs in the lavendar room.

And yes part 2, I also know if I could ever get the darn swim figured out I wouldn't necessarily be in the situation where I have to pass so many. Alas......

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-09-19 9:40 AM
2014-09-19 9:37 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar Looking at the video, I don't see what else they could have done. Bad race design. They were crossing the line (at least in the clip) while the course was turning right for the most part, so they were adding distance, not cutting off turns. It also looked like there were some people statically riding next to each other, so if I was the faster rider, I would have done the same thing just to get out of the situation. Personally, I would have likely been one of the people crossing. If I was DQed or penalized, so be it, it would be the only way to race your race. I did a race once where there was a 5k, 10k and half marathon on the same path. The RD had the half go first, then the 10k then the 5k. He also was supposed to space them by 5 minutes but the guy was a total spaz and was so riled up he yelled for the starts to be about 45 seconds apart, and it was a trail run. I was doing the 5k and it was an absolute cluster. That sort of thing drives me nuts.

The people on the left were passing, albeit more slowly than the others. The guys coming up could slow down and let them finish the pass. They chose to maintain speed and cross over. From what I could see, there was no threat to them of being cut off or run into by someone not looking before moving left. They just couldn't keep up the speed in the lane due to congestion. Can't say I've never done this though.

2014-09-19 9:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Personal experience.... It's all about me, me me And yes, I know, sometimes the course is too crowded for people to move right. It happens. I accept that. But all too often folks have absolutely no awareness of the course, the people around them, and how their actions are affecting others. Wait, maybe this post belongs in the lavendar room. And yes part 2, I also know if I could ever get the darn swim figured out I wouldn't necessarily be in the situation where I have to pass so many. Alas......

I would love to know how to swim past people who are out of the water before your wave even starts.

2014-09-19 9:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I am one of those slower riders and complete agree. I hug the gutters and the right-hands of the road constantly so I'm not interfering with the faster folks. My issue is that in the rare instance I am passing someone, it "appears" to the 27mph rider that I'm blocking, yet I am completely legally passing someone else. Just not as fast as they'd like me to. In such a tight/narrow race set up like in these clips, I can see how that would be frustrating to everyone involved. 

2014-09-19 9:43 AM

User image

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Personal experience.... It's all about me, me, me

And yes, I know, sometimes the course is too crowded for people to move right. It happens. I accept that. But all too often folks have absolutely no awareness of the course, the people around them, and how their actions are affecting others. Wait, maybe this post belongs in the lavendar room.

And yes part 2, I also know if I could ever get the darn swim figured out I wouldn't necessarily be in the situation where I have to pass so many. Alas......

We need a "like" button. I do wish you would stop reading my mind and posting it, though.
2014-09-19 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by cwpeters At the race this past weekend, the RD started some of the faster cycling age groups in the last wave. I'm pretty sure this was done in order to minimize the amount of time a public road was closed. During the bike leg I witnessed two instances where a rider crossed the center line in order to make a pass. I had my GoPro on and the video links are below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCSfvx5t4JMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXGOZa3YPA My question is who is at fault, the rider(s) for making the illegal pass or the RD for creating a rolling roadblock? Just to give an example of just how crowded the course was, I averaged just over 20 mph and passed 147 riders in just under 10 miles. That works out to about 1 pass every 12 seconds.

So I watched the video's.  I don't think the second one is due to the course/RD/slower riders.  That was due to an idiot overcooking the corner and taking it WAY to fast and not knowing what was on the other side.  10000000% his fault and nobody elses.  

I'm not saying it is not the "passers'" faults in the first one, but to me you can't compare them.  Just my $0.02.

2014-09-19 10:01 AM
in reply to: crowny2

Shrug, I would have crossed the cones if I were in that race. Safer than some of the squeezing that you did. All you would have needed was one jumpy novice to ruin the day for the both of you. Poor race design. Were you informed of the large nuetralized section prior to or at sign up? That would have been a deal breaker for me.

2014-09-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

I am one of those slower riders and complete agree. I hug the gutters and the right-hands of the road constantly so I'm not interfering with the faster folks. My issue is that in the rare instance I am passing someone, it "appears" to the 27mph rider that I'm blocking, yet I am completely legally passing someone else. Just not as fast as they'd like me to. In such a tight/narrow race set up like in these clips, I can see how that would be frustrating to everyone involved. 

No it doesn't.  You'd be surprised how aware the really fast people are about what you are doing as they work their way around you.  Nobody has a problem with you passing someone....or they shouldn't.

2014-09-19 10:06 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Like I said, I know that situations occur where people are completely appropriately to the left. Usually this is very easy to recognize.

My beef is with the folks who get to the left side of the lane and never get back to the right, whether from ignorance or hubris. Also, most races have enough room that three people can be abreast while passing. This can't happen if the second person moves completely to the left and hugs the center line. I am sure that they are doing their best to be considerate of the person they are passing and give them plenty of room. Just remember that while you are offering courtesy to the person you are passing that there are others on the course, and maybe one of the "others" is behind you and approaching at a high rate of speed.

Lastly, I would like to say that I think of triathlon as an inclusionary sport. I love that it is a sport that can be participated in by people of all different skill levels. I encourage beginners. I am (I hope this is true) friendly to pretty much everyone at a race, from participants to volunteers to police workers. I will give you my spare tube, loan you my pump or tools or help you in any way possible. I know that some people are not as aware of the rules and have no idea that riding three wide is not allowed (admission: in my very first race I passed someone on the right and I vaguely remember drafting for awhile, after all they do it in the TDF and I had no idea it was against the rules......) I try to set a good example by riding to the right and by being courteous to others.......but, as I said, I have crossed the center line.

2014-09-19 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I wish there was a way to start an internet "Slow Clap" for this post.

I have done my fair share of yelling at the idiots who hang out on the left for no particular reason.

I am not a jerk either, I give full appreciation and respect to people like Lisa who do their best to stay right when they can and then pull out to pass when needed. When I see someone pull out to pass like that I have no problem sitting up and waiting for them to complete their pass, they earned that for being in front of me in the first place (stupid slow swim). The people who I can't stand are the people who are convinced they are the only person on the course and they should be able to do whatever they want or are just clueless and hanging out on the left. Also add to that the intentional rule breakers, littering, blocking, headphones, etc. Saw lots of that at IMCDA this year, can't figure out the thought process to convince oneself that rules don't apply to me. 

I agree, if you can get DQ'ed for crossing the line, there should be stiff penalties for blocking. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-09-19 10:15 AM
2014-09-19 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I don't defend the guys intentionally crossing the centerline, but the RD certainly contributed to the problem by inverting the waves, starting the faster cyclists in the back.  The high closure rate with the slower cyclists is scary.  Even worse would be a head-on between someone crossing the centerline and someone coming back the other way.

From the video, it seems to me that most of the folks being accused of blocking or riding on the left are just making legal passes.  It's a tight course, but then again, no course design is going to guarantee that's you're always going to have infinite room to pass.   It's always the responsibility of the person making the pass to do it safely.

If someone crosses the centerline to avoid a rider making an unexpected move in front of them, then I don't really have a problem with that.  But if it's just to intentionally avoid  the traffic to gain a competitve advantage, that's something else in my opinion.  Tough call.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-09-19 10:21 AM
2014-09-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

No it doesn't.  You'd be surprised how aware the really fast people are about what you are doing as they work their way around you.  Nobody has a problem with you passing someone....or they shouldn't.

According to the way some of them scream and curse, they do . It's not all of them of course, but the ones who throw profanities at you sure stand out.

2014-09-19 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

According to the way some of them scream and curse, they do . It's not all of them of course, but the ones who throw profanities at you sure stand out.

Lisa, just yell back at them to "LEARN TO SWIM"!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's at fault? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Was it my fault I fell or the driver

Started by deadman
Views: 2095 Posts: 22

2014-09-20 6:28 PM keyone

Swim collision.. Who's at fault? Pages: 1 2

Started by mallen4574
Views: 2344 Posts: 34

2012-02-10 2:32 PM Patrick E

Eating My Words, It's all Kathy G's fault or Never say Never Pages: 1 2

Started by TriToy
Views: 1928 Posts: 31

2008-06-10 11:11 AM TriToy

I'm pretty sure this is y'all's fault...

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1241 Posts: 17

2007-05-23 2:50 PM firstnet911

Nutrition, rest - or just my own fault...

Started by AusVirgin
Views: 513 Posts: 2

2005-10-26 10:56 AM SMUJD