General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kaboom! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-19 11:42 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Kaboom!
I posted on here recently that I had hit (what I felt was) a stalemate on biking. Every week I do a time trial of all three sports (1,500m swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run) and although I've seen really good overall drops in time, by biking pace had hit a virtual horizontal asymptote (for you dorks out there). For six straight weeks, my time has been just shy of 21 mph, week after week, and it was starting to get to me. I just could not seem to break the 21 mph barrier as hard as I pushed, even going so hard on the bike that my run was dead...I just saw the same result as the week before.

Well....I'm happy to report that this morning, I finally got that monkey off my back. Even after following a personal best 22:09 on my 1,500 meter swim, I average 21.7 mph on the bike, and I still had enough gas to keep my 3 mile run under 7:30 pace.

I realize that 21.7 mph on a 12 mile ride is waaaay slower than a lot of you legit bikers (especially on a flat course with little wind), but for me, breaking that ceiling has me on cloud nine right now!!

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-19 11:49 AM

2014-09-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Kaboom!

Congrats! Those swim and run times are right up there and the bike is very good too. Those times would have you doing well in a lot of Sprint races. 

Wish I could swim or run that fast... guess that is why I am transitioning to bike racing for next year.

2014-09-19 1:26 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Denver, CO

That's super!  You're flying and I'm in awe.  I'd love to be able to hit those paces and won't unless I do a TON of work.  Maybe someday....

2014-09-19 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by 3mar I posted on here recently that I had hit (what I felt was) a stalemate on biking. Every week I do a time trial of all three sports (1,500m swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run) and although I've seen really good overall drops in time, by biking pace had hit a virtual horizontal asymptote (for you dorks out there). For six straight weeks, my time has been just shy of 21 mph, week after week, and it was starting to get to me. I just could not seem to break the 21 mph barrier as hard as I pushed, even going so hard on the bike that my run was dead...I just saw the same result as the week before. Well....I'm happy to report that this morning, I finally got that monkey off my back. Even after following a personal best 22:09 on my 1,500 meter swim, I average 21.7 mph on the bike, and I still had enough gas to keep my 3 mile run under 7:30 pace. I realize that 21.7 mph on a 12 mile ride is waaaay slower than a lot of you legit bikers (especially on a flat course with little wind), but for me, breaking that ceiling has me on cloud nine right now!!

So you are going all out on each of those lengths every week?  And have been for 6 weeks?  You need to look into some recovery time.  Meaning you aren't giving your body a chance to recover.  Especially if you are relatively new to the sport.  Look at periodized training.  It gives you build weeks, recovery weeks, etc and I would be willing to wager you will see an even greater improvement.  

2014-09-19 3:29 PM

User image

Hey, that is a 3% improvement. I don't even want to think about what a 3% improvement on my swim would do to my times.
2014-09-19 3:44 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Congrats! Those swim and run times are right up there and the bike is very good too. Those times would have you doing well in a lot of Sprint races. 

Wish I could swim or run that fast... guess that is why I am transitioning to bike racing for next year.

Thanks!! The stalling in biking actually had me considering transitioning to just swimming. If we found a solid runner, we could have a hardcore relay!

2014-09-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by laffinrock

That's super!  You're flying and I'm in awe.  I'd love to be able to hit those paces and won't unless I do a TON of work.  Maybe someday....

Thanks. I've got a long way to go, but as long as I'm seeing progress, I'm happy.
2014-09-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by 3mar I posted on here recently that I had hit (what I felt was) a stalemate on biking. Every week I do a time trial of all three sports (1,500m swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run) and although I've seen really good overall drops in time, by biking pace had hit a virtual horizontal asymptote (for you dorks out there). For six straight weeks, my time has been just shy of 21 mph, week after week, and it was starting to get to me. I just could not seem to break the 21 mph barrier as hard as I pushed, even going so hard on the bike that my run was dead...I just saw the same result as the week before. Well....I'm happy to report that this morning, I finally got that monkey off my back. Even after following a personal best 22:09 on my 1,500 meter swim, I average 21.7 mph on the bike, and I still had enough gas to keep my 3 mile run under 7:30 pace. I realize that 21.7 mph on a 12 mile ride is waaaay slower than a lot of you legit bikers (especially on a flat course with little wind), but for me, breaking that ceiling has me on cloud nine right now!!

So you are going all out on each of those lengths every week?  And have been for 6 weeks?  You need to look into some recovery time.  Meaning you aren't giving your body a chance to recover.  Especially if you are relatively new to the sport.  Look at periodized training.  It gives you build weeks, recovery weeks, etc and I would be willing to wager you will see an even greater improvement.  

I go about 80%. When I was running only, I would do a weekly tempo run, so this is what I replaced it with. I've actually been doing this weekly since I started a little over three months ago. When I first started, I had a lot of trouble getting my body to transition from one sport to another. I realize it's REALLY unorthodox, but I've seen steady gains week to week. The only place I stalled was in my biking.I've also went from having trouble getting my body to bike after swimming and trouble running after biking to going from one to another seamlessly. Actually, now, I do better on my bike or run when I do the leading sport first. I know it goes against convention, but I like it (I look forward to this workout all week) I'm seeing gains and finally, my comfort going through all three sports has jumped significantly. I've shared these before, but I'm a total dork and track all of these TT times on an excel spreadsheet. Here is the overall graph that shows the total time (minus transitions) it takes me to complete the 1,500m swim/12 mile bike/3 mile run. I've seen almost a 10 minute drop since I started. That's about 10%. I also felt like H-E-double hockey sticks the first time and now I enjoy the heck out of it. I balance out the rest of the week pretty well, but I use this day to let loose a bit and go for it.

(TotalTime.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
TotalTime.JPG (56KB - 0 downloads)
2014-09-19 4:03 PM
in reply to: #5052092

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Gratz with your success!
2014-09-19 4:36 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Cool! 

What else are you doing for your training, in particular biking, on a weekly basis? (your logs are empty)

I was having issues getting past 20.5 mph in the local sprints (15.4 & 15.9 miles ea.).  Then I bought a KK road machine trainer and started training by virtual power using the BT Cycling plan. I went 22.1 mph my first race after using it, then I did the last 8 weeks of the program over again for the next race 4 months later and broke 23.3 mph.  I've been a firm believer in dedicated trainer programs since.

2014-09-19 4:49 PM

Why re-test numbers on a weekly basis? Assuming your training through them, you're testing on heavy legs. I would think I could get more value out other types of workout structures.

2014-09-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
So the thread lamenting that you weren't improving on the bike may have been a tad premature I guess.

While it is good you are seeing progress, you are probably soon going to be at the point that having a plan with a bit more structure to continue seeing gains.

Shane
2014-09-19 5:17 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by gsmacleod

So the thread lamenting that you weren't improving on the bike may have been a tad premature I guess.

While it is good you are seeing progress, you are probably soon going to be at the point that having a plan with a bit more structure to continue seeing gains.

Shane

Totally agree on both points but am putting off the latter as much as possible. Not sure why I'm so hesitant. I guess I've been through all the different workouts and drills in running and always come back. I'm still playing the "new guy" card.
2014-09-19 5:23 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

Cool! 

What else are you doing for your training, in particular biking, on a weekly basis? (your logs are empty)

I was having issues getting past 20.5 mph in the local sprints (15.4 & 15.9 miles ea.).  Then I bought a KK road machine trainer and started training by virtual power using the BT Cycling plan. I went 22.1 mph my first race after using it, then I did the last 8 weeks of the program over again for the next race 4 months later and broke 23.3 mph.  I've been a firm believer in dedicated trainer programs since.

Here is what I do currently. When I started this routine, I was struggling, but now it's gotten pretty easy. In another month I will start ramping up the distances to prep for a 70.3 I have in January, then continue the ramp up for my first full IM in May. That was kind of my plan, to hit this hard, try to build speed, then begin the build up in distance for the two big events.

Sunday - 45 mile bike
Monday - 1 hour run (around 7 miles)
Tuesday - Strength Training
Wednesday - 22 mile bike + 3 mile run
Thursday - 10 mile bike + 6 mile run
Friday - Swim 2,750 meters
Saturday - Swim 1,500m + 12 mile bike + 3 mile run

I've recently decided to skip the strength training day and replace it with another swim workout. My 1,500m swim has been dropping pretty significantly on two swims a week, so I'm hoping that I can get close to 20:00 or under before ramping up.
2014-09-19 5:24 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ziggie204

Why re-test numbers on a weekly basis? Assuming your training through them, you're testing on heavy legs. I would think I could get more value out other types of workout structures.

You're probably right, but I love the constant data feedback, and it's the day I look forward to all week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kaboom! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kaboom

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1224 Posts: 9

2010-08-29 8:29 PM Curtisb