General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather cycling ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-19 2:59 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Cold weather cycling ?
Well cold for me I'm visiting NC from Miami and going for a group ride on sat (55 miles). I'm expecting it to be around 60-65 degrees during my ride and I want to make sure I won't freeze with the wind chill. The only thing I have besides my shorts and jersey that might help is a tight long sleeve rash guard/swim shirt. What should I do? Thanks for the help.

2014-09-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Cold weather cycling ?
Hmmmm.....60-65 and you're concerned about the wind chill. I did a tri last weekend and it was 41 degrees at the start, I biked just in my shorts and tri top, no frost bite. I think you'll survive.
2014-09-19 3:24 PM

User image

I have a hard time telling if you are kidding, because that really is NOT cold, but if you are from Miami, I can see how it would be a bit chillier than you are used to. If you have wool socks, those are great for keeping your toes warm. If your hands get cold easily, invest in some windproof gloves. In the winter, I will typically ride with a long sleeve running shirt or base layer under my jersey. Of course, I am typically chipping ice off of my cassette by that point.
2014-09-19 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ec1974 Hmmmm.....60-65 and you're concerned about the wind chill. I did a tri last weekend and it was 41 degrees at the start, I biked just in my shorts and tri top, no frost bite. I think you'll survive.

Same conditions for me. I only used a tri suit after the swim and it was fine. However, since it was a short race I knew I'd be working very hard and creating a lot of heat. For a ride in the 40's that looks more like what the OP is doing I would have had some longer stuff on.

For the OP, make sure of the weather for the entire ride. I think you'll be fine though. I wouldn't have anything extra on. If you're really not sure, like if there could be a colder wind, maybe some very light weight longer sleeve at most. But try to be adaptable there. Could consider a little heavier sock too.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-19 3:29 PM
2014-09-19 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by Lupy

Well cold for me I'm visiting NC from Miami and going for a group ride on sat (55 miles). I'm expecting it to be around 60-65 degrees during my ride and I want to make sure I won't freeze with the wind chill. The only thing I have besides my shorts and jersey that might help is a tight long sleeve rash guard/swim shirt. What should I do? Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a perfect day for a ride. If you're that sensitive to cold, you could try full-fingered gloves and some arm warmers, maaaaaayybe knee warmers. When it's colder than 60, I may take a beanie. All of these can be easily stowed in jersey pockets if you start to overheat.

2014-09-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: #5052188

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Thanks and I was serious lol. I'm new to cycling and very new to sub 75 degree temps glad to know I'll be fine and won't freeze to death lol.

2014-09-19 4:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Lupy Thanks and I was serious lol. I'm new to cycling and very new to sub 75 degree temps glad to know I'll be fine and won't freeze to death lol.

If it's any comfort, my DH used to ride his bike in Calgary and Edmonton, Canada during the winter (he didn't have a car at the time).  He didn't die or lose any appendages.  Granted, he was a little more acclimated, though, and was wearing few more articles of clothing than the average populace.    Seriously, though, you're going to be fine.  Enjoy your ride!

2014-09-19 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Lupy Thanks and I was serious lol. I'm new to cycling and very new to sub 75 degree temps glad to know I'll be fine and won't freeze to death lol.

I hear you, it was 71F, cloudy and breezy here on the central east coast of FL a few days ago and the dog & I had a wonderful 5 mile run because it was 71F!  Have a great ride. 

2014-09-19 5:30 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2014-09-19 7:13 PM

Regular
Live in the NC mtns. It was 64 when I rode today. The first 3-4 miles were a bit chilly but when I hit the flats and started pushing, I was sweating by mile 6. Mid to low 60's is perfect cycling weather. Where will you be?
2014-09-19 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I wouldn't wear more than shorts and short sleeve shirt until it's below 55-60.

2014-09-19 8:51 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I also live in NC and cylce year round (love it here!!!) I look at the outside temperature, and I subtract 10 degrees, and then dress as if I was going out for a leisure walk (bike clothes of course). (If running, you add 10 degrees and do same). Works every time.

You may be chilly on descents and hot on climbs, but otherwise, it'll be great. For 65, I might bring along arm warmers so I could peel them off later, but otherwise, probably just shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

I've even been known to stuff a newspaper in my jersey and toss it out on a random driveway later in the day. hahaha!

Enjoy!
2014-09-19 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Lupy

You will live. I race in a trisuit at 50. Discomfort wont kill you.
2014-09-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by laffinrock

If it's any comfort, my DH used to ride his bike in Calgary and Edmonton, Canada during the winter (he didn't have a car at the time).  He didn't die or lose any appendages.  Granted, he was a little more acclimated, though, and was wearing few more articles of clothing than the average populace.    Seriously, though, you're going to be fine.  Enjoy your ride!

Rode at -20 to -25 c in Calgary as well.
2014-09-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5052210

User image

, North Carolina
I feel where your coming from. I feel thr same way as soon as its below 70 I feel cool. I much prefer 90+.

Usually if I keep my hands and ears warm im good to go.
2014-09-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, I don't think I'd ride a bike in Canada during winter!!! Hard core!

Once in a while I ride when it's 35 to 40 out (Brrrr). My feet go numb and I had worried about frostbite. I found some online frostbite calculator and plugged in temperature and time outdoors and it returned the message: "Temperature not below freezing, so no frostbite risk". D'oh!!!! Still, my toes are blue and my legs are beet red when I am done, so it's not pleasant! Oddly, I am not aware of the cold discomfort in my legs while riding, only after.

2014-09-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Originally posted by keyone

I also live in NC and cylce year round (love it here!!!) I look at the outside temperature, and I subtract 10 degrees, and then dress as if I was going out for a leisure walk (bike clothes of course). (If running, you add 10 degrees and do same). Works every time.

You may be chilly on descents and hot on climbs, but otherwise, it'll be great. For 65, I might bring along arm warmers so I could peel them off later, but otherwise, probably just shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

I've even been known to stuff a newspaper in my jersey and toss it out on a random driveway later in the day. hahaha!

Enjoy!

That brings up a point. I would be more concerned about someone who is used to the flat lands of Florida handling the hills of NC than I would about temperature.
2014-09-20 1:37 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by happyscientist

Originally posted by keyone

Enjoy!

That brings up a point. I would be more concerned about someone who is used to the flat lands of Florida handling the hills of NC than I would about temperature.

Lol I was definitely concerned about that, but the group of guys I rode with were nice and I just gave them something to laugh at :D. Thanks for the input on the temps. The weather felt great just like you all said.
2014-09-21 9:04 AM

User image

Only thing in high 60s for a long bike might be arm warmers for the first few miles. I wear knee warmers or tights and long sleeves below 60; full finger gloves and beanie getting closer to 50. I recall a visit to Miami in winter. Having breakfast at a café in Coconut Grove on a Saturday morning. Temp 72, and a large group of cyclists came through - most with tights and long sleeves! Was it for the sun protection?! I would have been overheating big time.
2014-09-21 5:05 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I went on a 30 mile ride this morning. 59 when I rolled out and 64 when I got back. Bike shorts and a light weight long sleeve shirt. Half way through though I wish I was in short sleeves. Unless the winds are significant shorts & short sleeve jersey and have fun.
2014-09-21 5:09 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Originally posted by jbrookscga78

Only thing in high 60s for a long bike might be arm warmers for the first few miles. I wear knee warmers or tights and long sleeves below 60; full finger gloves and beanie getting closer to 50. I recall a visit to Miami in winter. Having breakfast at a café in Coconut Grove on a Saturday morning. Temp 72, and a large group of cyclists came through - most with tights and long sleeves! Was it for the sun protection?! I would have been overheating big time.

Ha! I saw the same thing when I visited Orlando last January. I was having a hard time running in the heat, and there were cyclists bundled up like they were on fat bikes.

2014-09-21 5:11 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I wish it would ever be as high temps as 60-65F on my bike rides.......*sigh*'
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather cycling ? Rss Feed