General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverback Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Silverback Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Silverback Enterprises
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 8s
Overall Rank = 42/110
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

We woke up a bit before 4 and got ready. Loaded the bikes, filled the bottles and headed out. A road closure forced us to leave a little earlier in order to make it on time.

We arrived at the race site and looked for someplace to park. Right away I was kicking myself for not bringing my headlamp. I didn't even think about it, but the days are shorter now with sunlight not creeping in for a bit.

We both went into this race rather casual. It was a free entry. My wife is finishing her first season of triathlon and is, I think, ready to finish it off. She's not really racing with time goals yet, just enjoying the experience and trying to get better each time out as fitness improves. For me, I was using it as a nice training day. I approached it as that. I was just going to add this volume into my 70.3 plan, which means I had a few long runs earlier in the week and a long bike on Saturday...my legs were pretty toasted going in. I wanted to just gain the experience and have fun.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, we headed to the beach start to check things out. Not much warmup, just some light stretching. I jogged a bit in a grassy area.
Swim
  • 28m 17s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Today's focus was all about relaxing and having fun. I stayed right and tried to control myself at the start. I wanted to focus on keeping my arms wide (not crossing over) as I've noticed I may be doing that more than I realized. I tried to just stay composed and relaxed. I never felt I was swimming hard, at all. At the end of the day, my time was OK (on par with what I've been doing) and I had no mental stress that I normally put myself through.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I'd do much differently. I finished about where I normally do (MOP) which is what I expected.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

T1 went well. There was a decent run through the sand to get to transition. An area near a volleyball net had some nice tire ruts.

My T1 time was 10/23, and I wasn't really in too big a hurry, so I'm satisfied with that.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 16s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.47 km/hr
Comments:

Overall, I thought I had a pretty decent bike. I was not passed by many and was pretty active in picking people off.

About 2 miles in my adducters started to hurt. I haven't felt that for about 2 years. I chalked it up to fatigue from training so just rode it out.

I was a bit surprise to see Steve R. blow by me early on. I chased him for a bit but slowed at one of the corners and never caught him again. He finished about 6 minutes ahead of me...so I wasn't even close. LOL.

A guy on a BMC TM and another on a Cervelo rode with me for a while. I dropped BMC guy about half way through but Cervelo wasn't going anywhere. He was riding at a comfortable pace so I hung with him. With about 2 miles left, I decided to go ahead and move pass him for the last time and I didn't see him again (until he ran by me at mile 1, ha ha).

Not too much. I don't have any GPS data so I don't know how the course mapped out as far as distance. I was a bit surprised to see I only averaged a little over 19.55, but in reviewing the bike times...no one really shredded it, so it may have been a bit long. Oh well. I put forth good effort for the gas I had in the tank today.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

12/23

I had a bit of trouble in T2 as I lost my my spot in transition. There were no numbers, and the bikes around me were all still out. Eventually I figured it out, but it took a while.

After I racked my bike, I was out lickety split.

Pick a better transition spot? Use an elmo baloon? I don't know...probably just pay better attention to my stuff.
Run
  • 59m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Well here's where things really broke down. I didn't have any run legs and I felt it right away. When I saw Cervelo guy run by me, I knew I didn't have it. IN looking at my pace, I was about a full minute per mile behind my more recent 10K runs. Again, I'm blaming this on training legs and little motivation.

I looked at my watch when I started and saw that I was on pace to finish mid-2:40s. Slower than I wanted, but I just didn't have it.

I would not do anything different based on the circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, grabbed a bottle of water and we pretty much packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a "C" or "D" level race, so there was nothing in particular other than I did not prepare to "race it" well. I started out the day with few expectations so I'm not disappointed by the outcome.

Of course, I would like to be faster, without trying, but that's not where I'm at right now. Since July, the focus has been on the 10/5 70.3 and I've stuck to that plan.

Event comments:

This race is owned and operated by Silverback. I think they are trying to develop a niche of creating cheap races that have little to no fanfare. This particular race was a free entry, with registration at either KS 5150 or Tinman. I would expect almost all participants were free entries, so expectations were pretty low. The location was nice, the roads were fine and overall the run course was well manned, so all that went well.

Registration was a bit of a boondoggle. Initially, the organizers said that if you used the free coupon code, you were automatically entered into this race. Then, notification came out later that you actually had to register online. It worked out fine for me, but I wonder if others were confused.

I did not get a correctly sized shirt as they ran out of Larges. Boo hoo. I don't need a shirt, but still don't understand how this happens. They were looking at registration receipts before handing out shirts, so it appears unlikely that they had a mass rush of size changes. Does not matter too much, but speaks to the overall lack of attention to detail this RD has.

At the run start and finish, the runners shared a narrow sidewalk going both ways. It was a bit narrow. The main problem was that about 30 feet from the finish line, a low hanging tree branch was in the way. Anyone over 5'7" probably had to duck to dodge it. At some point, you'd think someone would see the need for some hedge clippers to get rid of it.

If I had paid for this race, I may complain more. But it was free, and at least it seemed relatively organized and safe. The local college cross country team worked the run aid stations, so there was plenty of help there.

Overall, it was an fun day. I'd do it again (if it was free again).

Last updated: 2014-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:17 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless Xterra
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:16 | 40 kms | 31.47 km/hr
Age Group: 10/23
Wind: None
Course: A flattish out and back course. Not many hills, just a few rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:44 | 10 kms | 05m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 16/23
Performance: Below average
Course: Out to the campground, and then 2 laps before returning to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-09-19 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Silverback Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverback Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by lmscozz
Views: 2740 Posts: 9

2010-06-29 11:34 AM cjhild

Started by cjhild
Views: 2381 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1648 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1676 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1674 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.