General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-20 10:55 AM

Centennial, Colorado
Subject: Running Help
Long time lurker, first time poster. Hope I posted this in the correct section.

I completed my first sprint Tri back in August (My Way or the Tri Way in Colorado). My goal time was 2 hours and I finished in 1:59! Ok enough bragging.

I had never ran a mile before this July. Seriously never. I did not run more than 2 mile at a time in training prior to the sprint and I was running those miles at a 14-15 minute/mile pace. I completed the 5k during the sprint in 43:41 (14 min mile).

My current goal is to complete a Olympic length Tri next year. Following the high of finishing the sprint I foolishly signed up for a 10K at the beginning of October. I figured "hey I just ran a 5k, a 10k is only twice as much". In my training for the 10k I have gotten my mile times down to 12-13 min miles (with the occasional 10-11 min/mi). I was running 2 miles 2-3 times a week with one 3 mile day as well. 2 weeks ago I went for my longest run yet (4 miles). At 3.5 miles in my left hamstring began to hurt so bad I had to walk the remaining .5 mile. I took a week off to rest but in the last week I can not run more that 1 mile before my hamstring starts to hurt again and my knees are starting to get very sore as well.

I need help! It is one thing not to run because I want to watch football and drink beer. This being injured thing is very frustrating.

I am not your normal triathlete (can I call myself that). I'm 5'9", 235lb. I have probably dropped 10-15lbs in training and I am sure losing more weight would help with the running. I do not experience any of the pain/discomfort while biking or swimming. I have started stretching twice a day to see if that will help ( I don't think I was stretching my hamstring before, just quads and calves). I ordered a foam roller but I have not used it yet. Is this just normal soreness from being so sedentary for so long and jumping into exercise? Could it be the shoes? Slow down? Run less distance? Retire from Triathlon and go back to beer drinking and buffalo wing eating professionally?

I have really enjoyed getting into better shape and completing my first Sprint Triathlon.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Joseph

2014-09-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Running Help
Hi Joseph,

First of all congrats on your first race, that's awesome!!!

Secondly, sorry you are suffering from an injury. That sucks! You definitely need to take a bit more time off to let it heal. Also, be sure you are stretching properly and following good training schedule. By that I mean any of the plans on this site are good, and any plan that follows a gradual ramp up in distance (preferrably by no more than 10% per week), with good rest days and recovery periods built in.

I remember when I was new to the sport, getting past that 4 mile barrier was difficult. I had to take two steps forward, one step backwards as I allowed my body time to build strength needed to get through the impact of running.

You'll get there, keep tri-ing!

Good luck, Carol
2014-09-20 1:17 PM
in reply to: #5052350

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Running Help
Congrats on your race! Btw, you became a triathlete when you started investing time in all 3 sports...so,yes, you can call yourself one.

Running - a few things I've learned through trial and error (injuries) and from listening to the experts (no particular order):
1. Do not try to ramp up your mileage or intensity too quickly. You, me and probably most of the rest of us have been guilty of this..a lot of times it leads to injury.
2. Keep most of your runs at a conversational pace until you ramp up your weekly mileage to 20+ miles.
3. From an ultra runner at Fleet Feet when I was having knee issues: try to plant your foot beneath your knee, not out in front of it. By planting your foot beneath the knee you'll achieve a mid-foot strike and won't get the jarring effect (to your knees) of a heel strike. Initially, you might have to shorten your stride length to achieve this.
4. Don't try to stretch cold muscles..you could create or aggravate a tear. Use the foam roller to work the tightness out.
5. If you experience muscle pain (other than general fatigue) during a run..shut it down ASAP. I've aggravated problems and extended recovery times because I just had "a little further to go" to finish my run.

Joel
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette

I've begun to hate running...HELP!

Started by christyr1978
Views: 855 Posts: 12

2006-07-19 2:47 PM devilwillride

Left Foot getting numb while running...HELP!

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 1163 Posts: 8

2006-07-04 10:44 PM Clare44

tri changed to run-bike-run..help!!

Started by Tizzy
Views: 951 Posts: 9

2006-04-03 10:12 PM TriBefore40

Running Help

Started by julesf
Views: 491 Posts: 2

2004-07-29 9:04 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.