United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race had a lovely start time of 930...luxury! I woke up at 630 and took my time getting ready, still got to the race at 810. Wandered around saying hi to friends, hit the potty, sat in the car to stay warm I had bought a parking pass so I was really close to the start and finish, which was really nice!
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit, talked (of course) to friends.
Run
  • 2h 02m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My ipod chose today of all days to die. At 30 minutes in. Ack!! It would turn on for about one minute and then be off for 5. So it was sort of like intervals for the ears. I wish it had been working, as I know I run faster with music instead of listening to myself breathing. I felt pretty strong until about mile 11 then I felt my IT bands start getting tight. I knew the last mile would suck due to the rocks--plus we had caught up to the 10kers who were all walking in the smooth part of the trail, forcing the runners into the bad stuff. That last mile feels long as the trail turns to pavement and meanders a bit. Luckily I ran there not long ago, so I knew to expect it.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I didn't train enough this year....I knew. I wanted to go sub-2 but didn't quite make it. I need to finish my weight loss and get back to racing weight, as well. Have lost 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks...need to keep that up for the next big race. I know when I am lighter I am faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some water, walked to car and changed clothes and shoes. Drank more water, hung out with an old friend from college who I met 27 years ago today!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Fat. iPod issues.

Event comments:

It was the first Beat the Blerch race--so much hype! I am friends with both of the RDs and will give my feedback--mostly lack of water on the course, they needed at least one more water station. I opted not to carry water and at mile 9 was really thirsty. The finish line water was very far away, as well. And the food line was crazy long so I didn't get into it at all. Otherwise it was just awesome! I suppose the solution is to carry my own water next time, huh?

Last updated: 2014-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run, out and back on a wide, gravel trail. First and last mile were pretty big rocks. The way out was about a 1% grade, which means the way back was a -1% grade YA!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-20 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Beat the Blerch

2014-09-20 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5052403

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Beat the Blerch

Pre-race

This guy.

All done!

My college friend Phillipa. We rowed on crew at the University of Washington. We met 27 years ago today!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beat the Blerch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes

Started by topgunsgirl
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2008-10-28 12:19 AM topgunsgirl

Started by jsm
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2007-05-21 12:15 AM jsm

Started by teechur
Views: 1235 Posts: 1

2006-07-09 5:15 PM teechur

Started by jsm
Views: 1177 Posts: 1

2006-05-29 10:33 PM jsm

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1715 Posts: 7

2006-05-30 7:55 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
Triathletes share stories of losing weight, improving health, making new friends, relieving stress and beating addictions