General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone do Crossfit in the off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-21 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Anyone do Crossfit in the off season
My tri season ends in early Nov with Rev3 Venice. In past years I have not really changed things up during the off season except adding a bit more volume to my running for a HM in the spring (I will do again this year) and the fact that running remains my weakness. But I have this feeling that S/B/R does leave some holes in my overall fitness picture. The gym near my house has a pretty full schedule of cross fit sessions, so I think I should have no problems getting 2 workouts/week into my schedule this winter. I'm sure there must be folks that have done cross fit here, what is your impression? Strengths/weaknesses?

2014-09-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Anyone do Crossfit in the off season
I did boot camp in the off season last year and continued it into my season. I actually did less biking and swimming than years prior, and performed better in those two areas, I am pretty sure because of the boot camp. It really gives you great power for things like climbing or passing, and lets you engage more muscles in your sports.

My run still sucks at the moment because of 15 extra pounds. Boot camp did not help me lose weight, but I am sure I gained muscle and my jeans are a little bit looser.

I think crossfit is way more hard core than boot camp is, tho. But same kind of HIIT training.
2014-09-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
MA

I did it 2 years mostly in the off season, 3 in my family members still do CF year round but aren't triathletes and I have many tri friends that are Crossfitters mostly off season.

Biggest issue is the randomness of programing so you don't know what type of movements you will be doing on any given day before they post the workout so it may impact your other training in a negative way.

I kept getting injured. Not all coaches are excellent at watching form and making sure you do the movements correctly so you don't get hurt.

The owners kept pushing me to do CF endurance which know way I'd do and it was a constant point of friction. Plus they wanted to tell me how to do tri training. They had gone to a weekend class on CF endurance and now were experts. That whole mentality annoyed me and was a bit arrogant. One weekend of a class and you know more than tri coaches that have studied this stuff for year.

Fun positive fitness lifestyle and enjoyed the vibe at the CF gym.  The WODs were like mini races were everyone pushes and does there best and supports each other.

Go watch, ask questions, see what credentials the coaches have beyond CF certifications which are just one weekend, and go for it. Where we live there are 3 CF gyms within 5 miles and if that was the case where you live shop around. Each appeals to different type of people one has more 40+, one caters to the strong 20 something hard core guys, and the third is yet different.

2014-09-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you want to get better at triathlon SBR, if you want to get better and running around like a chicken with your head cut off and lifting weights improperly, do crossfit.

2014-09-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I'm a controlled ROM purist and have a million issues with cross fit. If I was still a trainer I'd advise against virtually all of it's elements. Olympic movements under ballistic overloaded conditions while fatiguing is recipe for injury. Most continuous cross fit people I see (and each day there are more and more) are in their 20's. Half of them already wearing knee/elbow/wrist supports or compressions due to this or that nagging.
You can accomplish high intensity training under safer conditions for long term success with various other methods.
Thing is, cross fit is nothing more than plyometrics & Olympic movements. Plyometric work is awesome for strength & explosiveness. Do it often enough, under overload and with insufficient rest and you're screwed at some point. Olympic movements are powerful multi-joint movements, but are exhaustive and require rest and are more dangerous under fatigued conditions.

I have taken some cross fit designs and modified them to be safer for myself and still productive; for example: I have done squat+1/4 mile supersets, but regular squats, NOT overhead squats ( I love my rotator cuffs too much)
I'll do box jumps, but step down instead of jumping down (I prefer to save the tibial region so I can still run) etc etc.
Tell this to a cross fit psycho guru and he'd crap all over it, then I'd say get back to me when you're 40+ yr old and tell me the quality of your joints, muscles, recovery etc.

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-21 9:20 AM
2014-09-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Floriduh
good things to think about, years of competitive swimming have left me with some rotator cuff/shoulder issues so there may be some aspects of the WOD that I may not be able to do. I do like the idea of HIIT tho...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone do Crossfit in the off season Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2064 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1512 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

Off-season double-bricks anyone ?

Started by bushmaster1
Views: 720 Posts: 2

2009-11-17 10:48 AM Aikidoman

Off Season Training - Over doing it?

Started by Shortknee1
Views: 934 Posts: 4

2008-08-15 1:08 AM Gerrard

Anyone else doing an early season HIM?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 953 Posts: 6

2008-01-09 3:09 PM jbjboc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
My body thanks me for the extra sleep and added recovery.