General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why swim so much in custom plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-21 12:46 PM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: Why swim so much in custom plans?
Hi everyone,

I have tried various different things in making a custom plan, but always I have to swim more than any other sports. But when I look at the pre made standard plans, I don't have to swim so much and I have to bike more.

Swimming is very exhausting day makes my heartate up too much, so why do I have to be swimming more hours than biking or running?

(It didn't matter whether I clicked new swimmer or experienced swimmer; both come up with a LOT of swimming).

2014-09-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

Subject: RE: Why swim so much in custom plans?
Depends on how much you determine to be "lots of swimming"

For some people it is 2km x3 per week.

For others 4km x5 per week is lots of swimming
2014-09-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: elliot.power

User image

I haven't used the plan creator but it sounds like you're the person they catered it to. It sounds like swimming in your limiter since you get out of breath so easily. How good of a swimmer do you think you are? If you're always out of breath swimming, then working on it will really help you out. Might also want to consider a class or a coach. I know those both helped me. Not only will you be faster for the swim but also you'll be better prepared for the bike part with a normal HR instead of one that has been racing too high the entire time you swam.
2014-09-21 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Quantify your idea of swimming a lot.

If it makes you tired like that you need to work on your technique and get fitter.

I swim 10km max most weeks these days. Far cry from 60-80 km average back in the day. Big weeks were 90-100 km.

http://youtu.be/HLa_PsM6wnk
2014-09-22 6:36 AM
in reply to: #5052527

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Thank you for your answers. With lots of swimming I ment relatively. The custom training schedule gives me more minutes per week in swimming than in biking or running.

The standard schedules (pre made) give more biking than swimming which to me sounds logical. But I'm a newbie so I don't know so much.

I changed schedules and am starting today with the 3x balanced 20 week schedule for sprint distance.
2014-09-22 7:37 AM

On the front page of the custom plan creator, there is a button in the top right corner that says "About the Custom Plan Creator." If you click that, you will find this:

Why does the swim training far exceed my race distance?

You will see that the sprint plans long swim will exceed race day distance by about double. The olympic plans by one and a half times. From our personal experience, and from the members from our forum, we greatly value swim overdistance training to make sure that you can handle the distance and more on race day. As many say, "a triathlon is not won on the swim, but can certainly be lost on the swim." We don't want you to take the swim lightly, it needs to be well prepared for.

For 1/2 and Full Iron distance plans, there will be some overdistance, but not as much.

2014-09-22 7:56 AM

User image

Champion

It's true.  These plans do have some decent swim volume but it's from the fact that so many beginners are actually underprepared in the swim - we want to make sure you have no problems which is why you see the overdistance training.  Plus since swimming offers 'no pounding' of the joints, the extra training is great for your aerobic system without the risk of injury which will translate in the bike and run.  Instead of out of breath, HR through the roof and wiped out coming into T1 for a poor beginning bike performance, you will be a lot better prepared to get on your bike and go.

2014-09-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ron

It's true.  These plans do have some decent swim volume but it's from the fact that so many beginners are actually underprepared in the swim - we want to make sure you have no problems which is why you see the overdistance training.  Plus since swimming offers 'no pounding' of the joints, the extra training is great for your aerobic system without the risk of injury which will translate in the bike and run.  Instead of out of breath, HR through the roof and wiped out coming into T1 for a poor beginning bike performance, you will be a lot better prepared to get on your bike and go.

I suspect you will get some blowback from the group that says swim training will NOT translate on the bike and run.  As an example of a highly trained sprint distance racer, who is a threat to overall podium any AG sprint race at any level, my kid's TP account shows that 53% of his yearly training volume (by duration) is swimming.  Yes, he will log nearly 1.5 million yards, but his bike training will only be about 1200 miles and his run training will end up totaling about 700 miles.  He stays remarkably injury free which we attribute largely to low run miles and big swim work.  Also, likely because of his age, he is able to do very intense run and bike workouts at a much greater frequency than most of us may be able to handle, but the intensity can also be relative to your age and fitness level and you may still see great improvements.  To me, the problewm with most triathletes is that they are completely unwilling to put in the type of swim work that can yield great aerobic fitness gains.....or they have no idea how.

It's funny in a way.....you can now look at any major race like the Chicago ITU sprint race and see the top 20 places overall dominated by young kids who are straight out of swim programs with very little comparative bike and run training.  Coincidence?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-22 8:49 AM
2014-09-22 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I have had private coaches that I worked with 8 years and I have never had more minutes swimming in a month than bike or running. I don't think I'd follow a plan like that. For many a sport 3-4x a week is pretty normal.

Can you share what inputs you put in and in general the output and perhaps others can give you some advice?  Key would be to know what distance you are training for and how many total hours you can train.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why swim so much in custom plans? Rss Feed