Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Finisherpix discounts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-21 9:47 PM

User image

Subject: Finisherpix discounts?
Going to post there here since it's off topic...

Does anyone know if Finisherpix sends out coupon codes or anything? Most of the pictures they took of me look horrible (err...I look horrible hunched over and such and thus don't want them) but my finisher picture actually looks good. I went to buy it and it's freaken $30 for one picture! Said screw that and walked away. So I'm guess I'm asking if I wait long enough, will they discount their stuff?

2014-09-22 9:57 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Finisherpix discounts?
I've never known them to discount their pictures.

Do people really spend that much money on their race photos? I don't get it. I've been saying for years that they should tack $5 onto every person's race entry fee and then give you a "free" finisher photo as part of the entry fee. That's more or less what Rev3 has been doing for a while. I can't imagine that the race photographers wouldn't make more money getting a few dollars from every participant than they would hoping that enough people buy their expensive photo packages.
2014-09-22 10:37 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I've never known them to discount their pictures. Do people really spend that much money on their race photos? I don't get it. I've been saying for years that they should tack $5 onto every person's race entry fee and then give you a "free" finisher photo as part of the entry fee. That's more or less what Rev3 has been doing for a while. I can't imagine that the race photographers wouldn't make more money getting a few dollars from every participant than they would hoping that enough people buy their expensive photo packages.

I pay for race photos, and I think it's lame when people post proofs as race photos and/or profile pics.  I imagine one reason they're so expensive is that they consider people posting the proofs instead of buying the photos.

2014-09-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Wetaskiwin Canada
I just get my wife to take my picture, it's free!!!
2014-09-22 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I've never known them to discount their pictures. Do people really spend that much money on their race photos? I don't get it. I've been saying for years that they should tack $5 onto every person's race entry fee and then give you a "free" finisher photo as part of the entry fee. That's more or less what Rev3 has been doing for a while. I can't imagine that the race photographers wouldn't make more money getting a few dollars from every participant than they would hoping that enough people buy their expensive photo packages.

I pay for race photos, and I think it's lame when people post proofs as race photos and/or profile pics.  I imagine one reason they're so expensive is that they consider people posting the proofs instead of buying the photos.

Well it's kind of a vicious circle, isn't it? If they made it more reasonable to buy a picture, fewer people would feel compelled to post the copywrited proofs. I would love to have a professional finisher photo, but not one that costs 40% of the cost of the race itself. It would be a fairly easy thing, I think, to charge everyone an extra $5 to enter the race and, as part of the race swag, you get a discount code that gives you one free photo. Figure 1500 peopel in a race, and that's $7,500 in revenue. I guess they'd have to split that with the RD in some way, but there's no way they wouldn't come out ahead.
2014-09-22 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Well it's kind of a vicious circle, isn't it? If they made it more reasonable to buy a picture, fewer people would feel compelled to post the copywrited proofs. I would love to have a professional finisher photo, but not one that costs 40% of the cost of the race itself. It would be a fairly easy thing, I think, to charge everyone an extra $5 to enter the race and, as part of the race swag, you get a discount code that gives you one free photo. Figure 1500 peopel in a race, and that's $7,500 in revenue. I guess they'd have to split that with the RD in some way, but there's no way they wouldn't come out ahead.

That's a good idea and I imagine most people would be on board. However, if someone who didn't want a photo got wind of the up charge, you're going to get complaints. I'd be a little ticked if my pre-paid photo came out bad or out of focus. Not enough for me to complain and want a refund, but you darned well know somebody would! That would be a logistical snafu that most RD's would prefer to avoid.

2014-09-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mdg2003

That's a good idea and I imagine most people would be on board. However, if someone who didn't want a photo got wind of the up charge, you're going to get complaints. I'd be a little ticked if my pre-paid photo came out bad or out of focus. Not enough for me to complain and want a refund, but you darned well know somebody would! That would be a logistical snafu that most RD's would prefer to avoid.

This is a good point, and I believe that even presented with the choice of an extra fee for cheaper race photos some people would say "eh...just taking the proofs for free is good enough for me".

Edited by msteiner 2014-09-22 4:54 PM
2014-09-22 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'll admit to being one of those "lame" people who posts a finisherpix shot in my profile. But.....I actually did try to order the shot in question, repeatedly, from both here and the US, as a present for my parents. (Most of my race pics absolutely suck. This is one of the few in 35 years of sports that doesn't.) The site wouldn't take my credit card, and attempts to contact them by phone were (expensively) futile. Most of their others have been very poor quality. I sometimes save them (one can doctor with photoshop to make them look a bit better) and show them for fun to students and friends, and keep on my computer for the memories. I wouldn't post that shot if I had other decent ones. I don't. i do have plenty of shots looking like I'm going to puke, and quite possibly one of me doing so.

Found it really nice how the last race I did handled photos. They just posted them on a Flickr page and you could find yourself and get the photos for free. Probably only works for a small race, though. And unfortunately no shots of me running. It just doesn't seem right for my avatar to be on a bike.

To answer the OP's question, they do sometimes have specials. I recall one around Halloween last year, and one at the end of the year. I think your previous shots are kept around for 6 months to a year, so you can go back to find them.
2014-09-22 7:43 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'll admit to being one of those "lame" people who posts a finisherpix shot in my profile. But.....I actually did try to order the shot in question, repeatedly, from both here and the US, as a present for my parents. (Most of my race pics absolutely suck. This is one of the few in 35 years of sports that doesn't.) The site wouldn't take my credit card, and attempts to contact them by phone were (expensively) futile. Most of their others have been very poor quality. I sometimes save them (one can doctor with photoshop to make them look a bit better) and show them for fun to students and friends, and keep on my computer for the memories. I wouldn't post that shot if I had other decent ones. I don't. i do have plenty of shots looking like I'm going to puke, and quite possibly one of me doing so. Found it really nice how the last race I did handled photos. They just posted them on a Flickr page and you could find yourself and get the photos for free. Probably only works for a small race, though. And unfortunately no shots of me running. It just doesn't seem right for my avatar to be on a bike. To answer the OP's question, they do sometimes have specials. I recall one around Halloween last year, and one at the end of the year. I think your previous shots are kept around for 6 months to a year, so you can go back to find them.

Well that's different, since you made an attempt to buy it.  I've seen some people blatantly post proof after proof without remorse.  I file it under "things that probably shouldn't bother me, but does anyway".

My profile pic is also a race day photo, and I paid for it along with a few others from the same race, because I thought they were decent.  

2014-09-22 9:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have bought photos in the past. I think my HIM photos was like $80. Not cheap but at least I got about ~15 pictures that were actually pretty good. So ~$5/photo isn't too bad but $30 for one photo? Yeah.... They do offer all photos for $100 but like I said, most of them suck, so I don't want to pay for them.

For smaller races and marathons, I don't both buying photos but if I BQ or if I did PR'ed in a IM (which I did), then I'd like to have that photo since I think it would be a nice keepsake, assuming it's reasonable. I have a friend who is a photographer (who I also pay as my swim coach), so I feel for them but I also feel for my wallet after spending spending upwards of a few $1,000 for a race + travel expenses.

Edited by Blastman 2014-09-22 9:04 PM
2014-09-23 8:39 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mdg2003

Well it's kind of a vicious circle, isn't it? If they made it more reasonable to buy a picture, fewer people would feel compelled to post the copywrited proofs. I would love to have a professional finisher photo, but not one that costs 40% of the cost of the race itself. It would be a fairly easy thing, I think, to charge everyone an extra $5 to enter the race and, as part of the race swag, you get a discount code that gives you one free photo. Figure 1500 people in a race, and that's $7,500 in revenue. I guess they'd have to split that with the RD in some way, but there's no way they wouldn't come out ahead.

True, I guess, but then, you don't get an itemized breakdown of what your race registration includes, so, really, the chances are that you're already paying for something you don't use. I often don't take advantage of the post-race food that's offered because I'm not hungry after a race, but I'm sure that it's included in my registration fee. Race fees (not unlke airline fees) are pretty arbitrary from the consumer's pov. Why is one race $175 and another race $185? If your local sprint cost $5 more next year, but it included a "free" race photo, I doubt anyone would put two and two together and see it as an upcharge. I think most people would see it as a cool new addition to the race swag.

2014-09-23 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I think it would work for the most part and be a really popular bit of swag for most. Just never underestimate the ability for people to complain about their 'free stuff' or their willingness to seek alternate compensation when they're unhappy with something. Even if its free!

Maybe a disclaimer on the photographer's coupon releasing him and the RD from liability if your free pic came out bad?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Finisherpix discounts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Discount ski tix? Aspen/Snowmass

Started by LHablas
Views: 417 Posts: 3

2007-11-14 11:07 AM LHablas

Performance bicycle discount codes?

Started by clincomedic
Views: 507 Posts: 1

2007-03-17 9:56 AM clincomedic

Anyone have Trisports discount code?

Started by The Mac
Views: 670 Posts: 6

2007-03-13 1:12 PM The Mac

Swimoutlet.com Discount Code?

Started by PeterAK
Views: 577 Posts: 1

2007-02-06 4:13 PM PeterAK

discount codes- swimoutlet

Started by TriVeggies
Views: 634 Posts: 5

2007-02-01 2:24 PM Brett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.

date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.
date : September 8, 2004
author : promotion
comments : 4
ProMotion continues to excel in the Triathlon wetsuit market with evolved designs widely regarded as the finest available and loyal support from athletes worldwide.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.