Trek Portsmouth Wallis Sands Triathlon
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 2s
Overall Rank = 116/343
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Same old thing. 3 eggs, 1 egg white, WW toast. Lots of water leading up to the day and some Gatorade in the AM.

Training leading up to the race however was so less than ideal. 2 weeks ago my 3 year old son broke his leg so he's a practically full body cast and totally immobile. Training 100% took a back seat which coupled with my lack of training since my Oly in June due to injuries just compiled into me not expecting much. 1:20 was my absolute goal time and I really didn't think that would happen.
Event warmup:

It was pouring so I thought they would delay the start by 30 minutes or so but the rain stopped and we went out only 6 minutes behind schedule so I had zero warm up.
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ouch. I literally have not been in the pool (since it's closed for the summer for renovations) since June and it showed. I got about 200 yards out and was totally out of breath. Wetsuit felt tight, had to roll over and just take it easy. When I was swimming I was flying which was great, I was flying around people, but I could swim for maybe 100 yards at a time. Luckily with such a short swim it was over quick.
What would you do differently?:

Swim. I had an awesome swim at my Oly in June but haven't had any pool time since they due to injuries and pool being closed. I lived.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Slow transition. Wetsuit was a pain to get off and I was beat. After about 15-20 seconds I just decided to slow things down a bit and take it easy. It worked and I got moving.

Lose some el-bees so the suit comes off faster.
Bike
  • 40m 55s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

My straw fell off my aero bottle somehow, so that was awesome. Definitely took in less water than I wanted to. Started off with 2 shot blocks and some Gatorade and took another 3 blocks throughout the race. The lack of water hurt though, just had Gatorade out of my bottle. My watch also decided not to work after getting kicked during the swim, so I was just going by feel, which I don't really mind all things considered. I felt like I kept a good pace the whole time. I was getting passed but mainly by people down in aero with fancy helmets and bikes worth more than my car, and if I'm going to get smoked I'd rather it be by people that I assume at least look fasters than me. I was shooting for over 20 MPH avg, again with my lack of training I felt anything close to 20 would be great, so 21 was nice. I know I have it in me, I just didn't know if it would come out today haha.

Honestly, that's what I wanted. I could have pushed more but strictly going by feel, I felt good. Pace felt fine the whole way, never really coasted, just kept pushing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I don't know what took me so long, I should have been quicker than 1:15. Everything was soaked, so getting my shoes on was tough, had to grab my belt. My transition area sucked really, not as neat as I like to keep it because I tried keeping things dry too, not that it worked at all, everything was wet.

Arrange better. Shouldn't have to move anything to get to something I need to put on. Poor planning.
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Surprised myself with my finish time. I was dying at the end but I knew I had to push it to come in around 1:20. I needed to go under 25 minutes and 25 minutes was my set time I figured I could do with my lack of training and such. I brought a water bottle with me and used it a lot. I think the lack of water on the bike hurt my run a bit. I just need fluids constantly. Overall though I can't be upset with 23 minutes for where I am now. I got passed by a few people that were flying but I also passed some people I saw on the bike so all in all it was good.

Not much for yesterday.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, bagel, lots of water, walked around and cheered others one. Senator Scott Brown finished about 3 seconds after me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Life. If this race had been in June when I felt great and was coming off fresh training I think I'm at least 5 minutes faster. Oh well, that's life. I had a goal for 1:20 and after I did an 8 mile bike on Saturday just to make sure everything was in working order I thought 1:25 was more realistic based on how I felt. I'm happy and upset about it. If I toughed out the summer through my injuries and found the time to train while Cam is banged up I could have turned in a much better time. Next year I want 1:15 at least.

Event comments:

3rd year I've done this race and I love it every year. Good course, great athletes there, it's just a fun race.

Last updated: 2014-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 586 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 229/343
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: CCW triangle. Out to the right, back to the left, back in to the left.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:55 | 14.5 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 100/343
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 14.5 miles, pretty flat and good condition
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:12 | 05 kms | 04m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 131/343
Performance: Good
Course: out and back, pretty flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Wallis Sands Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wallis Sands Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by GreenMtnLabbit
Views: 1285 Posts: 4

2012-10-04 7:47 AM cdkayak

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by cdkayak
Views: 1161 Posts: 4

2012-09-25 1:01 PM cdkayak

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by fmulcahy
Views: 841 Posts: 2

2012-09-24 7:25 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by jonD81
Views: 1206 Posts: 6

2012-09-24 7:10 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by mpento17
Views: 975 Posts: 2

2012-09-24 7:28 PM GreenMtnLabbit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 0
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
comments : 0
What? This isn't a duathlon?