Race Day Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 7s
Overall Rank = 5/189
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

My last for sure triathlon this year, it was also the final race in the Fleet Feet Sprint series. I was 7 points ahead of my nearest competitor for overall, so an age group win would put it out of reach.

I get up, have breakfast and wait for Jenny to get to the house. We head over to the Aquatic Center and I get my packet and body marked, have a chat with Terry and Lloyd and then set up transition. Of course I get a mediocre spot because of my lollygaggin.
Event warmup:

I go for a mile or so run, then do a little biking lap around the course with Nick. I am kind of torn between getting in the water to do a warmup for the swim or staying dry before the start. There is usually a fairly good wait between getting out of the pool, the national anthem and the start, and it's still pretty chill outside. Eventually I decide against a swim warm up and try to stretch it out.
Swim
  • 04m 47s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not the best swim ever. While I've been working on my stroke a lot the last month, those changes aren't integrated enough to be "normal" yet, so it's easy to fall back into my old stroke, especially in races. The Castelli T1 top I was wearing was also considerably restricting in the chest/shoulders... I did not appreciate it.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear that top. Continue to improve swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I came into transition fairly quick, got my helmet on and headed for the bike mount. As I'm mounting my foot slipped and I ended up catching myself right on the... well... you can probably imagine where I caught myself on the top tube. I take a second to collect myself and then head out.

Maybe I need grip tape on my shoes too...

half joking...

Bike
  • 16m 55s
  • 6 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Just not a good bike ride. This course is fairly technical, especially on the second lap when you have slower riders all over the place. Of course, going downhill onto the train tracks / turn in the first lap my plan was to hit them wide (straightening the crossing of the tracks) but I realize at the last second I've overcompensated my line (and I'll end up hitting the median) so I brake... hit the tracks at a bad angle and lose control up in the air. I land, skid but have enough weight on the outside pedal to recover before I go down. Shaken a bit I am from that point on considerably less aggressive in the turns. When I hit the train tracks on the second lap, it's at a VERY mild pace. The rest of the bike is fairly uneventful and it's back to transition.

Not overshoot my line... not nearly wreck... push a more even pace throughout.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

I got back into t2 fairly fast, but came to the rack from the wrong side and spent a few seconds getting under it to my shoes. Grab and go heading out for the run.

Should have made a mental note of coming back to my spot from the other side.
Run
  • 20m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

If you can't say something nice...

My run was terribly mediocre. I ran at a fairly steady pace with another guy and just didn't have anything to give.

Same old song and dance. Frustratingly so. Someday I have to figure out how to run.
Post race
Warm down:

I grab a coke, take a shower and change, and then hang out with the family and Jenny for a bit. I was ran down from behind, finishing in 2nd place in my age group.

After regular awards were the sprint series awards. After a few months of leading, I managed to end up 1 point behind Nick, who was able to be consistent with overall placings in all of the "important" races (the ones that counted double) the key one in this case being todays.

Sometimes the wind is at your back, and sometimes it's in your face.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think some of it has was burnout (mental and physical) from the grinding. Taking a few weeks off any meaningful running to focus on aquabike also didn't help my running. I actually think my race went alright, probably better than I was in "shape" to do, but nonetheless not the way I would have chose to end my season.

Event comments:

Racedayevents

always a good time.

Last updated: 2014-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:47 | 300 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 33/189
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:16:55 | 06 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Overall: 5/189
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Out and around behind campus at UT... same as the trideltathon course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:33 | 03 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 11/189
Performance: Average
Course: A hilly course, this is the old (2013) trideltathon run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Anchor Splash Sprint Triathlon

2014-09-22 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5052741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Subject: RE: Anchor Splash Sprint Triathlon
Hey Chris,

I will always take your mediocre bike time over mine. Great seeing you yesterday.

Terry
2014-09-22 4:40 PM
in reply to: TerryW

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Anchor Splash Sprint Triathlon
Originally posted by TerryW

Hey Chris,

I will always take your mediocre bike time over mine. Great seeing you yesterday.

Terry

Terry, always a pleasure!

Just make sure if you get my bike time you don't get my bike handling
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anchor Splash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anchor Splash Sprint Triathlon

Started by stealthismatt
Views: 749 Posts: 1

2012-09-25 10:35 AM stealthismatt

Anchor Splash Triathlon

Started by tenninstr
Views: 1171 Posts: 1

2011-09-18 11:07 PM tenninstr

Saratoga Splash Triathlon - Open Water Sprint

Started by swynn
Views: 1223 Posts: 2

2006-06-18 9:21 AM UTTriman

Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon

Started by UTTriman
Views: 1776 Posts: 13

2006-06-14 8:08 PM rabkaman

Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon

Started by jefjejon70
Views: 1617 Posts: 3

2006-04-24 3:02 PM iwantotri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.