Richmond Multisports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 40s
Overall Rank = 62/244
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate breakfast, and drove about 30 minutes to the race site. I was a bit discombobulated, as I forgot my bike bottles, but did remember a water bottle to drink en route to the race. I stopped at a gas station and bought some gatorade. I drank some pre-race and filled my bottle with the rest. I got my transition set up and then watched the half iron swim. I also got to see the college teams getting prepared for the race.
Event warmup:

There wasn't much of a warm up. My wave was at 8:05. I jumped in off the dock at about 8:00 or so and swam a bit in the water. I needed more warm up.
Swim
  • 29m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was the perfect temperature. We got to wear wetsuits without it being cold. It seemed to take some time to get into the groove because I didn't warm up enough. The swim didn't feel great (they usually don't for me), but I noticed only one guy from the wave behind me the entire swim. That' unusual for me. I also seemed to be passing a lot of swimmers from the collegiate wave ahead of me. It was very shallow at the turn around Gull Rock with some rocks nearly reaching the surface. Once I got in from the swim and saw 29 on my watch, I thought I was doing well.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better warm up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

There were wetsuit strippers that helped remove wetsuits, which really helped with my wrist and shoulder injury (more below). It was a long run on carpet from swim exit to transition. I am really trying to speed up my transitions, especially for short races. I didn't dry my feet this time. They were wet and dirty, but I didn't want to take the time to clean them.

Keep working on speeding up transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 25s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.00 km/hr
Comments:

It seemed like I was going pretty hard and was passing a large number of collegiate athletes from the wave ahead of me. I know I lost a lot of time at the turn around because I actually stopped and unclipped. I was afraid of another crash (more below). I also had to deal with a loose left aerobar for the last 7ish miles. It made being in aero difficult. It was actually fairly slow ride. I need to be faster on the bike for Olympic distance races.

Work hard on the bike during the off-season. I need to be able to average over 20 consistenly.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Again, I'm working on faster transitions. I got my socks on pretty quickly this time. The route into transition required some bike carrying, as it was quick bumpy over old trolley tracks and cobblestones.

Keep working on getting faster in transitions.
Run
  • 44m 29s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 27s  min/km
Comments:

I am very happy with this run. It is my fastest Oly run time and only 23 seconds from my stand-alone 10k PR. I had some guys from Liberty that paced my on the run. I also knew that I was having a good race and (due to the small size of the race) that I had a chance at a podium finish. That was a huge motivator.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some water and gatorade and found my daughter and wife who were volunteering. After getting some food, I checked my wife's phone to confirm results. I then had a couple of beers with some other RTC athletes while waiting for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Sunday before the race, I had a bike crash while out on a training ride. I broke a bone in my left wrist and pulled muscles in my right shoulder from the impact of the fall. I spent a good deal of the week debating whether to do this race or not. I knew the swim would be the most difficult part. After it went well, I knew I would have a good race. Apparently my bike needs a bit of tightening after the crash as well.

Event comments:

RMS races a generally small, so expectations shouldn't be too high. This one was well run. There isn't much that I would suggest they do differently. I am not a huge fan of the urban course, due to the uneven roads and surfaces for biking and running. That being said, I enjoy doing different races in different locations. This race definitely fit that bill. I am excited to finally get a podium spot in my last race in my current age group. Next year, I'm up to the big 4-0.

Last updated: 2014-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 101/244
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: The course was straight from the dock near the Boathouse Restaurant, around Gull Rock, and back in to the dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:25 | 40 kms | 31.00 km/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 65/244
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course headed out of Rocketts Landing to the south along Osborne Turnpike. It turned up to a turnaround near the waste water treatment plant and then came back along Varina Road to Osborne and back in. It was mostly flat, but the turnaround was at the bottom of a hill and there was a substantial hill crossing the Pocohontas Parkway at about mile 20.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:29 | 10 kms | 04m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 50/244
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an out and back urban course from Rocketts Landing along the Capital Trail, the Riverwalk, up the ramp and across the 14th St Bridge, along the road that goes by Legend Brewing, and up a bit farther to the turnaround. Some areas required running on gravel and very broken sidewalk. Some areas were quite tight for runners going in both directions.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 9:56 AM

, Virginia
Subject: Richmond Rox Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Rox Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Richmond Rox Endurance Triathlon

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1120 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:33 PM BigDH

Started by erjellum
Views: 1028 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:36 PM BigDH

Started by lloeffert
Views: 955 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:49 PM BigDH

Started by H20man
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2012-09-25 9:45 AM H20man

Started by kbeddoes
Views: 848 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 1:08 PM kbeddoes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.