General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
United States
Kiawah Island Golf Resort
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 38s
Overall Rank = 70/140
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Left at 4:30 so that I could arrive by the earliest check-in time of 5:30. We were some of the very first people to arrive, so it was nice and quick to pick up my packet, chip and get body marked. The racks were by number, I think 5 or 6 bikes to a rack. Mine was close to the bike and run exit, and by a big tree, so easy to find. Ate a Luna bar and had water on the way up the beach to the swim start.
Event warmup:

None really, just the walk to the start area.
Swim
  • 34m 17s
  • 1232 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was very clear and warm. There were not a huge number of people in this wave, maybe only 40 or so, so that there was minimal contact. I must have been swimming strong, because I was soon overtaking some of the red caps, and even some greens by the finish. I felt good and strong the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

So part of the transition over the beach, across the boardwalk and road is included in the swim time. I even took a moment to shower off the salt water. I was a little slow getting my socks on, but otherwise ok.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 16s
  • 25.1 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was the part I was most concerned about coming into this race. I knew I wanted to maintain +16mph and sometimes I struggle with that when I am on my own. So I spent about 3 miles getting into some kind of a calmer rhythm, and made a plan to get the 2 bottles of Heed consumed before the end of the race. That was great, because it reminded me to grab the bottle, even when I wasn't feeling thirsty.

So I felt strong on the bike! I was able to maintain around 17mph most of the time, occasionally dipping into the 16s, often up into 18 and even 19 mph. Maybe that is not so great that I vary so much on the bike, but I still felt strong and able to pass people pretty much throughout the entire course. I was still passed a lot, too, but I could tell it was by people who were much faster than me.

The course wound through many neighborhoods, and a good deal of it was shady. There was really no wind to speak of through most of the course, not really until almost mile 18 or so where there was an unprotected section and some headwind.

I can't believe I was this low in the ranking and still felt so great and fast the entire time! Apparently, I will have to shave off 5 more minutes to even get close to the middle of the pack here. And that would mean an average speed of well over 18mph! Yikes!
What would you do differently?:

Just continue working on my bike strength. I am really getting better at keeping focused. Now to stretch that out to a course twice this distance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Ran the whole way to my transition spot. Racked up and changed shoes, grabbed hat and belt, and took a gel.
Run
  • 1h 00m 32s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off at a steady pace, which turned out to be pretty quick. I believe the first mile was 9:39, so faster than my usual 10k pace. I felt good and planned to keep the cadence up and walk all water stations. My pace declined for miles 2, 3 and 4, but picked up again for miles 5 and 6. My last mile was sub-10 again. This was close to my PR for a 10k from last year's Cooper River Bridge Run of 1:00:28. 5 seconds faster and I would have a new PR!

Bonus: I saw an alligator and a snake on this run!
Post race
Warm down:

They were handing out cold towels at the finish, so nice!! Also, their post-race food was really nice. I had a big yogurt with almonds, fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries! They had beer, but I couldn't handle a beer at that point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training seems to be good so far! I felt strong, never really felt super tired or really wanting it to be over. Yes, I was glad to see the bike leg end, but I was never in pain or suffering at all. So mentally, it was a good race. Physically, I probably could have done more on the bike.

Event comments:

This is a very well run race! Nice course, flat bike and run, lots of volunteers and nice post-race activities. They must have sprayed for bugs beforehand, because I didn't see a single mosquito that whole morning.

My family also loved it because they got to spend the morning at the beach where they saw volunteers helping a bunch of just-hatched baby sea turtles out to the ocean! Really neat.

Last updated: 2014-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:17 | 1232 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 17/140
Performance: Good
Swim time includes a long run up across beach, over boardwalk and to the transition area.
Suit: no
Course: Straight down the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:16 | 25.1 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/17
Wind: Little
Course: All through Kiawah neighborhoods.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:32 | 06.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Course: 3 miles through the neighborhoods, 2 on the beach and final mile through a neighborhood again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Wesley12
Views: 1538 Posts: 2

2011-09-19 9:22 AM Lukester1980

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Lo-Daddy
Views: 2132 Posts: 5

2010-09-29 7:04 AM mll1605

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Hamner
Views: 1488 Posts: 1

2007-09-19 11:30 PM Hamner

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by brstewa2
Views: 1720 Posts: 4

2006-09-27 8:36 PM tim_edwards

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by hblackmon
Views: 2379 Posts: 14

2006-09-20 9:35 PM rrizzo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : July 9, 2008
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.

date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
Swimming and cycling are well tolerated sports. Running should be limited based upon an athlete’s pain and functional limitations.
date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : March 5, 2006
Improving speed in swimming is more than just doing a few sprints at the beginning and end of your workouts. It takes a little more thinking, but I promise there is no high level math involved!
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!