General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimsuit vs noswimsuit swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 2:32 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: swimsuit vs noswimsuit swimming
hi everyone! very new to triathlon and forums but got a question. I know my technique probably sucks in everything but what totally blew my mind is the difference between swimsuit and nonswimsuit swimming. I did my first sprint two weeks ago no swimsuit breaststroking all the way (freestyle is still work in progress plus the whole commotion of a swim start and people kicking and punching all over did not add comfort to my first tri swim . this weekend I did an intermediate distance and I got a swimsuit (gotta love new shiny toys and thought I'd breaststroke it again just in case. but I had so much buoyancy and my legs were so much higher than usual that I found myself kicking air quite a bit I also played with freestyling a bit and was totally blown with the ease of it and the speed of it compared to no swimsuit (it actually felt easier than breaststroking this time).

so the question I was pondering is whether its my horrible technique that account for such a drastic difference or does swimsuit really affect things that much. I understand that both factors contribute but I'd like to hear from you good swimmers just how big the difference is for you. because if the difference is not that major I think I might seriously consider swim coaching and if the difference is still large do you tweak your technique in any way to account for swimsuit differences?

Thanks!
Alexey

2014-09-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: woosh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: swimsuit vs noswimsuit swimming

I think you mean wetsuit? otherwise please tell me where I can sign up for the naked triathlon!

They make a huge difference, especially if you have some room for improvement with your swim form. The biggest thing is that they help elevate your hips/legs because they are buoyant. I would still say you should work on your swim and consider coaching, because using the wetsuit as a crutch isn't necessarily the best plan.

2014-09-22 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

Is "nonswimsuit swimming" the same as skinny dipping?

2014-09-22 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
They help a bad swimmer and help good swimmers. Use a wetsuit whenever legal.
2014-09-22 2:56 PM

The wetsuit aids weaker swimmer substantially. Stronger swimmers, still, but not as much.

Weaker swimmers (like 2:00+/100) often have serious leg drop in the water, and often waste significant energy with a kick to keep the body flattish instead of that kick energy going toward propulsion, because they haven't yet learned to swim with the low chest in the water. Add sighting to that mix, and the slower speed, and it's even harder for slower swimmers to keep the legs up. The wetsuit almost entirely removes this handicap - you have to literally intentionally drop your legs in the water on purpose to not keep them up as the wetsuit is so buoyant. 

It's however standard practice to improve swimming by NOT only training in a wetsuit. Remove the crutches and aids, learn to swim without them, and then you'll be even faster with a wetsuit. 

Once you're fairly comfortable in/out of a wetsuit, and swimming confidently freestyle for races, the wetsuit still helps a lot in buoyancy for sighting - without the wetsuit, it's pretty energy-intensitve to swim with your head out of water for a few strokes to get your bearings in OWS, but with a wetsuit, it's actually easy.

2014-09-22 3:08 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Los Angeles, California
lol, yeah, wetsuit.. sorry, monday morning, office, postevent fatigue, ESL.. but hey maybe it was a blessing in disguise for grabbing some attention and actually getting some feedback

so from the comments my understanding is that between the extremes of my horrible form and amazing wetsuit position, good form is still closer to the wetsuit position. I definitely was never interested in crutches. the point of the post was to see if wetsuit is still a huge improvement over good form and it sounds like not so much so I guess it's time to take swimming much more seriously...

2014-09-22 4:11 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by woosh

no swimsuit breaststroking all the way

ehem....
2014-09-22 4:34 PM

, Wisconsin
Brought back 50 year old memories of swim instruction at the Y . . .
2014-09-22 4:40 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by woosh

hi everyone! very new to triathlon and forums but got a question. I know my technique probably sucks in everything but what totally blew my mind is the difference between swimsuit and nonswimsuit swimming. I did my first sprint two weeks ago no swimsuit breaststroking all the way (freestyle is still work in progress plus the whole commotion of a swim start and people kicking and punching all over did not add comfort to my first tri swim . this weekend I did an intermediate distance and I got a swimsuit (gotta love new shiny toys and thought I'd breaststroke it again just in case. but I had so much buoyancy and my legs were so much higher than usual that I found myself kicking air quite a bit I also played with freestyling a bit and was totally blown with the ease of it and the speed of it compared to no swimsuit (it actually felt easier than breaststroking this time).

so the question I was pondering is whether its my horrible technique that account for such a drastic difference or does swimsuit really affect things that much. I understand that both factors contribute but I'd like to hear from you good swimmers just how big the difference is for you. because if the difference is not that major I think I might seriously consider swim coaching and if the difference is still large do you tweak your technique in any way to account for swimsuit differences?

Thanks!
Alexey

Joking aside (and you definitely grabbed attention with that headline) I would highly recommend lessons/coaching. The beauty of swimming is that you can have huge gains just by adjusting technique as opposed to the other sports in which you really just have to grind it out.
2014-09-22 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

lol- had to check out this thread although it's not what I thought..........

2014-09-23 7:17 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

I think you mean wetsuit? otherwise please tell me where I can sign up for the naked triathlon!

2014-09-23 9:40 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by dmiller5

Unlike Ironman, you'd have to do the event before you could sign up to volunteer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimsuit vs noswimsuit swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Vs. Bike Vs. Run??? Pages: 1 2

Started by RushTogether
Views: 2117 Posts: 28

2011-09-09 6:38 PM Oldteen

Masters Swimming, Manners and the Kevlar Swimsuit

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 2292 Posts: 22

2011-01-07 4:28 PM tophermcdougall

tri shorts vs. swimsuit

Started by AUTiger03
Views: 1620 Posts: 7

2007-08-08 3:07 PM hazmaster

swim vs bike vs run

Started by tri'ng hard
Views: 1040 Posts: 5

2007-03-07 7:58 PM KenyonTri

Swim/Bike VS Swim/Run Bricks

Started by lynn m.
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2006-07-17 8:25 AM chile7473
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.