Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can't exercise due to illness. Bored like you won't believe! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 2:36 PM

Subject: Can't exercise due to illness. Bored like you won't believe!
I've been living with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) for the past several months.

I've learnt to cope with not being able to exercise but now I have nothing to look forward to. I can't exercise (which took up majority of my spare time) so now I have all this free time and don't know what to do with myself.

I have looked through lists of hobbies and interests and nothing which doesn't involve physical activity really excites me.

I'm bored, a bit depressed and don't know what to do with myself.

What does everyone else do when exercising is no longer an option?

2014-09-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: elliot.power

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Can't exercise due to illness. Bored like you won't believe!

Have you tried yoga? I know it's "exercise", but it won't tear you down like swimming, biking, or running. When I was at my worst with colitis, my body pretty much stopped repairing itself, so I couldn't do any real kind of a workout. Yoga saved my sanity (and I believe it went a long ways towards turning my recovery around).

Otherwise, hobbies? A new area of study that you've never tried before? Politics?

2014-09-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: briderdt

I used to go to a one a week class at my gym when I had a membership.

However, concession cards for the local yoga studios work out to be almost $20 per session. I do my own stretching and breathing exercises at home, but the whole routine takes around 20-30mins.

I read every night before bed for around 15-30mins usually non fiction something to do with finance, health, triathlon, self help, etc but I'm starting to get to the point where all the books are the same general content.
2014-09-22 7:19 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Volunteer! Find something that fits your energy levels...could be as low key as reading to kids at the library or seniors at a nursing home. And hope you feel better soon.
2014-09-23 8:48 AM

User image

When I wasn't allowed to do a damned thing for 6 weeks, I got a kitten.

2014-09-23 3:13 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

, Kronobergs lan
(Learn to ) play an instrument?

I got back into drumming (then guitar and singing, with a bit of ukulele) when I hurt my knee a few years back. Was content with just doing music for a while, then I discovered tris and now I do both.
Hope you get better soon and can start exercising again!

2014-09-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

Originally posted by kcarroll

Volunteer! Find something that fits your energy levels...could be as low key as reading to kids at the library or seniors at a nursing home. And hope you feel better soon.

I have volunteered in the past doing triathlon marshalling and registering and found it rather unfulfilling for all the hassle of it. I've also done workshops with teenagers to help with planning their future after school. They were pretty unappreciative so didn't get much out of doing that either.

People at work have approached me recently to help with their running technique as our company is doing a 1/2 marathon fundraiser but because I'm so tired I can't really do this to 100% of my abilities either which is frustrating.
2014-09-23 4:22 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG

When I wasn't allowed to do a damned thing for 6 weeks, I got a kitten.

I was reading an article the other day about CFS that said for many people having a cat was the only reason they got out of bed in the morning!

We aren't really pet people but I do enjoy playing with other peoples dogs, taking them for walks, playing fetch, etc.
2014-09-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

Originally posted by Rollergirl

(Learn to ) play an instrument?

I got back into drumming (then guitar and singing, with a bit of ukulele) when I hurt my knee a few years back. Was content with just doing music for a while, then I discovered tris and now I do both.
Hope you get better soon and can start exercising again!

I'm not particularly musicly inclined unfortunately and have never enjoyed this sort of thing. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I'm getting closer to finding something.
2014-09-23 4:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

You realize you have shot down every idea that anyone has listed?

The attitude comes off as a Debby Downer Man! People are trying to help you and you shoot everything down with I can't, I don't like, they didn't appreciate me...

2014-09-23 5:16 PM
in reply to: jford2309

Is that what I sound like?

Sorry I do apologise, I'm quite short tempered and anxious lately.

I don't mean to shoot the things down, I'm just really struggling with the void in my life at the moment.

I'm considering doing a graduate diploma to further my career. I was worried of doing this because I didn't have that much free time or energy to do it with all the triathlon training but perhaps now would be the better time to fit this in, then once it is finished in 2 years time, my health should be good, I'll have my spare time back and I'll have furthered my career at the same time. I'm considering going down this route as it is still self improvement and gets me closer to my long term goals, but doesn't take too much of a physical exertion to get there.

2014-09-24 10:40 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Have you thought about looking into a CFS support group?  It might be helpful with the mental aspect of what you are going through and you may even get an idea from others with CFS of some fulfilling past times.

Good luck to you.

2014-09-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

Originally posted by Hook'em

Have you thought about looking into a CFS support group?  It might be helpful with the mental aspect of what you are going through and you may even get an idea from others with CFS of some fulfilling past times.

Good luck to you.

I never thought about this.

Thanks for the brilliant idea. I've contacted two groups in my city already.
2014-10-07 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
how many languages do you speak? You could probably stand to learn one more
2014-10-08 6:57 AM

User image

write a book? National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is coming up in November - goal is 50k words in the month (about 1500 a day)
2014-10-09 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by elliot.power Is that what I sound like? Sorry I do apologise, I'm quite short tempered and anxious lately. I don't mean to shoot the things down, I'm just really struggling with the void in my life at the moment. I'm considering doing a graduate diploma to further my career. I was worried of doing this because I didn't have that much free time or energy to do it with all the triathlon training but perhaps now would be the better time to fit this in, then once it is finished in 2 years time, my health should be good, I'll have my spare time back and I'll have furthered my career at the same time. I'm considering going down this route as it is still self improvement and gets me closer to my long term goals, but doesn't take too much of a physical exertion to get there.

just a warning, as someone who got a masters while working full-time...it IS exhausting.  it takes a LOT of time and energy.  no, it's not running, but it's not easy either.  it's also pretty expensive (in the US, at least.  based on your spelling of apologize, i'm guessing you are not in the US but i'm not sure the cost or subsidies in other countries).  start small with a single course or something and see what you can manage, but I spent easily 10-20 hours a week doing accounting homework in my first semester of my masters.  

2014-10-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by elliot.power Is that what I sound like? Sorry I do apologise, I'm quite short tempered and anxious lately. I don't mean to shoot the things down, I'm just really struggling with the void in my life at the moment. I'm considering doing a graduate diploma to further my career. I was worried of doing this because I didn't have that much free time or energy to do it with all the triathlon training but perhaps now would be the better time to fit this in, then once it is finished in 2 years time, my health should be good, I'll have my spare time back and I'll have furthered my career at the same time. I'm considering going down this route as it is still self improvement and gets me closer to my long term goals, but doesn't take too much of a physical exertion to get there.

just a warning, as someone who got a masters while working full-time...it IS exhausting.  it takes a LOT of time and energy.  no, it's not running, but it's not easy either.  it's also pretty expensive (in the US, at least.  based on your spelling of apologize, i'm guessing you are not in the US but i'm not sure the cost or subsidies in other countries).  start small with a single course or something and see what you can manage, but I spent easily 10-20 hours a week doing accounting homework in my first semester of my masters.  

I am sure it depends on what you're studying. I just started a new Masters (in the Study of Law) and it's VERY sedate.  I spend a great deal of time sitting in my recliner reading and working on my assignments.  I think this is a great idea!  I am doing my courses online and I really enjoy the intellectual stimulation.  I was thinking of putting my laptop by the stand by the bike trainer because I find the sitting so dull, so funnily enough this might be a great fit for you. 

I do absolutely agree with the advice about trying one class first, for lots of reasons. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-10-09 11:20 AM
2014-10-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

If you like dogs you could volunteer at an animal shelter to walk the dogs if you are not committed to getting a pet of your own.   they always need help.  Pets are wonderful things.  My cats always make my day better. 

2014-10-13 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Were you diagnosed specifically with chronic fatigue syndrome?  If so, what are the main causes of your exhaustion?

I'm not challenging what you're saying, rather trying to understand as the term CFS is so broad...

I've been dealing with some energy issues myself lately and am still in the process of learning what may be the cause..  I definitely am not in any sort of "chronic" situation though... 

What did you do before triathlon?  Anything you can "dust off" and start again?

2014-10-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Bird watching.
Or photography.
They're good separately and also work well together.
If someone had told me 20 years ago that I'd be into bird watching I'd have said they were crazy. But it has a satisfying learning curve and it gets you out in nature. A pair of binoculars and a guide book and you're good to go. I could do it when I broke my collar bone.
Photography is a little pricier to get it into but the intro level DSLR cameras are great these days.
Yes you have shot down some suggestions but realistically it can be hard to find a new hobby -I think it's good to be selective.
Good luck.

Edited by donw 2014-10-13 7:12 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can't exercise due to illness. Bored like you won't believe! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I can't friggin' believe I won this auction

Started by briderdt
Views: 620 Posts: 6

2007-08-28 5:18 PM briderdt

Addendum to the "can't believe these guys are single" thread Pages: 1 2

Started by cerveloP3
Views: 1549 Posts: 32

2006-07-13 6:09 AM cerveloP3

I can't believe these guys are single... Pages: 1 2

Started by Zilla
Views: 1538 Posts: 50

2006-07-11 6:55 AM hangloose

I can't believe............

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 621 Posts: 8

2005-12-23 10:06 AM p4406

Can't believe Yoga did this to me!!!???

Started by athena
Views: 713 Posts: 6

2004-11-11 6:00 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : May 1, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Exercise performance will invariably be negatively affected. Add to this the feelings of malaise and weakness and one might wonder, “Why bother?”

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.