General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training, but don't want to loose all swim/bike fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Marathon training, but don't want to loose all swim/bike fitness

Training for a December marathon, so the focus is definitely on running for the next few months but I don't want to lose all the gains I've made in the swim and on the bike.  I realize that I won't be able to keep the same level of fitness I now have, but what should I be doing on a weekly basis in these disciplines so that when I head back into Tri training after the marathon I won't have to dig myself out of too deep of a hole?

2014-09-22 3:23 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Marathon training, but don't want to loose all swim/bike fitness
keep it simple, if you want to maintain your swimming: twice a week in the water...SWIM HARD. intervals, make it count

Same with the bike, could be 2 short trainer ride but target FTP (threshold) intervals, 20-30min of main set twice a week and this will be about the absolute minimum you can do to maintain fitness in those 2 discipline while focusing on the running

if you aren't too concern about maintaining that fitness and just want to stay in touch with those discipline, turn down the intensity a little.
2014-09-23 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

From my own experience; my marathon season starts in October and Ends in May.

My bike volume is very low during this period of time and I don't find that regaining bike fitness to be that big of a deal. (I can usually start adding bike volume toward the end of marathon season) I usually maintain my swim workouts AND focus on the run. (Run is always the hardest to get back)

Nothing scientific but it is my belief that training is a package deal. Running/Swimming during Fall/Winter pays big and I don't really "Lose" any fitness at all when it comes to the bike. SBR are all complementary and unless I am sitting on the couch, I don't really lose anything and actually gain something by scaling back one discipline from time to time.

Turn that around: Hard Triathlon training translates into big gains in the marathon; even though only a portion of the training is run focused. Last year I set a 6 minute PR in my fall marathon and my longest workout was a 16 mile run with a 1 mile swim at the half way point. (Go Figure)

Good Luck with your marathon training

2014-09-23 4:34 PM

Don't try to hold on to it at all. Run, run, and run some more. The fitness you lose swimming and biking will come back when you start your base training for next season and the run fitness you gain from just running will more than make up for it. Run six times a week if you can manage it. Run lots.

I've been doing this the last couple years without issue. Fall 'tis the season to run and being a single sport athlete is such a welcome change from the rest of the year. You can race a lot and there are so many options. You don't even need to pre-register for most local run races. Just show up, pay the fee, and toe the line.
2014-09-23 5:19 PM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by WaterDog66

From my own experience; my marathon season starts in October and Ends in May.

My bike volume is very low during this period of time and I don't find that regaining bike fitness to be that big of a deal. (I can usually start adding bike volume toward the end of marathon season) I usually maintain my swim workouts AND focus on the run. (Run is always the hardest to get back)

Nothing scientific but it is my belief that training is a package deal. Running/Swimming during Fall/Winter pays big and I don't really "Lose" any fitness at all when it comes to the bike. SBR are all complementary and unless I am sitting on the couch, I don't really lose anything and actually gain something by scaling back one discipline from time to time.

Turn that around: Hard Triathlon training translates into big gains in the marathon; even though only a portion of the training is run focused. Last year I set a 6 minute PR in my fall marathon and my longest workout was a 16 mile run with a 1 mile swim at the half way point. (Go Figure)

Good Luck with your marathon training

Disagree with that. Might hold true for your n=1 experience but certainly not the case all around. When I really want to run the run gets turned way up and the others fall way off. 

2014-09-23 5:28 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
A lot of it depends on your goals and experience.

I think triathlon training works well for marathons. Biking translates well with running and endurance gains from all 3 help out a lot too. Plus decreases changes of overuse injuries.

I am not very competitive so maybe its not good for winning but I saw a lot of improvements with triathlon training.

2014-09-23 5:32 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by chirunner134 A lot of it depends on your goals and experience. I think triathlon training works well for marathons. Biking translates well with running and endurance gains from all 3 help out a lot too. Plus decreases changes of overuse injuries. I am not very competitive so maybe its not good for winning but I saw a lot of improvements with triathlon training.

And that's where I believe you need to be careful with such general, blanket statements. Someone that comes from a zero or very small running background very well could see a marked improvement in overall run times with structured, quality run work as brought on by a solid tri training routine. However, it's not going to be the same success story for someone that comes from a solid and established running background. I'm not saying they'll get worse or event that improvements can't happen, but rather they'd see bigger improvements with just focusing more on running. 

2014-09-23 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Originally posted by thebigb

Disagree with that. Might hold true for your n=1 experience but certainly not the case all around.

I think that was why I was really clear when I said "From my own experience".

Take what works for you and leave the rest.

2014-09-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by WaterDog66

Originally posted by thebigb

Disagree with that. Might hold true for your n=1 experience but certainly not the case all around.

I think that was why I was really clear when I said "From my own experience".

Take what works for you and leave the rest.

Ah ok, missed that that statement was all encompassing. My bad

2014-09-24 10:47 PM

User image

New user
For the last couple years, I've done a late fall marathon after tri season and it's been fun to do a short marathon training block and then race. Also, the run training has made it so I can (mostly) pick up the bike and swim right where I left off. I mean, the first week or two getting back to s/b/r is challenging, but it doesn't take very long to get back up to speed. When I stop running, it takes forever to get back so I try not to do that.

When I do marathon training, I usually do one bike a week and skip the swimming. This year I'm going to TRY to get in one or two of each a week if I can fit it in because I'm going to do an early season HIM.

In my experience (so, as all other advice, ymmv), doing hard swims or bikes during marathon training takes away from my run training, so it's really about just maintaining muscle memory and a small base.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training, but don't want to loose all swim/bike fitness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Did I really loose that much fitness?

Started by timf79
Views: 1111 Posts: 14

2013-06-25 5:04 PM cgregg

Wetsuit--how loose is too loose?

Started by switch
Views: 9869 Posts: 24

2013-05-08 8:14 PM Morpheus

Wanted: Opinions on Swim Training.

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1347 Posts: 10