Without Limits Productions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DQ/626
Age Group = W45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15 for coffee and a chocolate chip bagel with peanut butter. Remembered to NOT take fish oil this morning to avoid chocolate chip bagel/peanut butter/fish burps, a key lesson learned from last race. Planned to leave at 6 but spent an extra 15 minutes fiddling around with the bike rack (couldn't get it set up right) and front wheel of my bike (couldn't get it off so it would fit in the car). That was kind of annoying but it didn't rattle me too much. Got to the venue, parked, got marked and chipped, set up transition area. I panicked a couple of times, thinking I'd forgotten/lost this or that--too much crap to keep track of! Finally got all set, then tracked down TJ and introduced the DH's.
Event warmup:

Mostly just standing around chatting with DH, TJ, and her DH. It was overcast and a little breezy so I put off getting in the water as long as possible. Finally got in about 3 waves ahead of my start. Water felt good, if a little choppy. Waded over to the start, high-fived TJ, and off we went.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 750 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Lots of contact, not hard, just bumps. I think everybody wanted to stay at the back and I kept tangling up with people. Had a hard time getting into any sort of rhythm because every time I started to, I ran up on somebody's feet or arms or something. Once I got around the 1st buoy, things settled down a bit until a jet ski came whooshing by going the opposite direction about 20 yds to my right. Got a good lungful of water and was bounced around a bit in the wake. Really?? Did they have to go that fast that close?! That might have been what threw me off mentally. In any case, for some reason, I didn't go around the 2nd buoy. I felt like I was doing great, heading in toward the finish, when I suddenly thought, "Wait, where is everybody?? Oh crap, they're over there and I'm in the middle of nowhere!" I turned 90* to get over into the swim lane, feeling terrible, and decided to just keep going. Swam until I could stand up, then ran out of the water. I frantically asked TJ's DH and my DH whether I was DQ'd and they said to just keep going, so I did.
What would you do differently?:

Go around all the buoys!!! More mass start practice would help too. Also learning to draft.
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

Parked a long way from exit so there was a long run in cycling shoes before mounting. This time, took off timing chip before taking off wetsuit - helped immensely!! Probably could have skipped the safety pin but didn't want to risk losing the chip. Didn't have Garmin on before the swim, thinking I could put it on in T1. Ended up just shoving it in my jersey pocket. Wore a full-zip jersey because it was breezy and a little cool. Probably would have been okay without it, but I was comfortable with it so I don't think I made a bad choice other than that it was yet 1 more thing to do.T1 time was 1/2 of what it was last time so I'm happy with it.

Wear Garmin during swim, set up closer to bike out/in, tighten shoe straps on bike.
Bike
  • 45m 34s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Exit from T1 was a little rough because it started on a sandy dirt road. As I started out, I had a weird feeling of, "What the heck am I doing? I'm doing a triathlon? I'm going to run when I get done with this?" Once I got out onto the road, I settled in to a good pace and leapfrogged with a few people. Started leapfrogging with a 14 y.o. boy and we started up a mutual cheering squad. He'd zoom past, then lag back, while I just kept plugging away. Really happy with my shifting and loved having cycling shoes. At one point, I found myself feeling surprised that my feet were attached to my pedals and got a good laugh about it. The road was better than last weekend; at least this time there wasn't cow manure along the shoulder! Coming back into the race site, people were spread out all across the whole road and I got stuck behind some slower riders. Ended up dismounting too soon because I couldn't get around them. Overall, a little slower than I'd wanted but not bad, especially considering how badly it went last weekend.

Not much. I was happy with my effort.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Slow getting to my rack because a girl got in my way when she was wandering around looking for her rack. 1st time switching from cycling to running shoes. Need to get used to my Hokas. Tightening/tucking in the speed laces took longer than tying regular laces would have.

Go around slower riders on road back into site, loosen cycling shoe straps before getting off bike, practice more.
Run
  • 30m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Really happy with this!! I felt super strong and was able to keep a 2 in/3 out breathing pattern throughout, even on the hill. No cramps/nausea and had negative splits too!! I periodically checked my Garmin for my pace, but mostly just did it by feel. Leapfrogged again with my 14 y.o. buddy. He was running and walking, I was keeping a steady pace. At one point, I told him I expected him to beat me; he ultimately did. I had my handheld H2O, which I used for drinking and rinsing my mouth, and I used the water stations for cooling off. I really like doing it that way although I know that'll have to change for longer races.

Maybe push myself harder. I'm still pretty wary about the nausea/cramps I tend to get with harder efforts.
Post race
Warm down:

Checked out the race expo, got a burrito and something to drink. After talking with DH, I decided to fess up to my swim mistake. Told a volunteer, then went and cried. Spent some time chatting with TJ and her DH, gave her one of the chocolate bars I'd bought, collected my gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wariness of the nausea/cramps I've been getting lately. Also need to practice transitions more and get more practice with mass OWS starts.

Event comments:

I'd definitely do this race again. It was well-organized and a lot of fun, plus the route was great. I'm really disappointed in myself for the stupid swim mistake, but other than that, I had an excellent race. When I got there, I wasn't feeling all that engaged or ready for it but once I got started, I felt great. I guess for my 2nd race, it was a good experience. It showed how much I've grown this season and what I need to work on. I wish I had another race to redeem myself and solidify what I've learned about transitions, etc., but that's not to be. Hopefully I'll remember all this stuff next year, or at least some of it. All things considered, it's been a good year and I'm proud of how far I've come. I raced with a smile the whole day, encouraged a lot of people, put in a good effort, and didn't throw up. Mission accomplished. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 750 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/626
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Predator 2 sleeveless
Course: Counter-clockwise square, 250 yds/side
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:34 | 12.9 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 442/626
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise on county roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:16 | 03.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 449/626
Course: Out and back on packed dirt road. One moderate uphill at mile 1.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 10:52 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

2014-09-23 9:42 AM
in reply to: #5052999

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Great job overall! I know that you were concerned about the run in the week leading up to the race and you did great!

2014-09-23 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, you rock!!!! At the end of your report is this little gem: "I'm proud of how far I've come. I raced with a smile the whole day, encouraged a lot of people, put in a good effort, and didn't throw up. Mission accomplished. "  You have every right to be proud and happy. Keep the information you gleaned from this one in your tool box and next year will be even better.

Congratulations!

2014-09-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
So awesome Mary!

You have been a great cheerleader to everyone on the forums and I'm so happy to be able to cheer right back for you! Great job and I can't wait to race with you some day!

And I agree, no cow manure on the course is a good thing!
2014-09-23 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice job! You did a great job and will continue to improve!

It was fun racing with you! (a lot better than the last one)

I agree the race was well organized and a great course. The expo was nice too. And having the collegiate race going on was great to see.

2014-09-23 4:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Smiling - check!  Great bike - check!  Awesome run - check!  Fun with friends (and Manatees) - check!  Hey, the swim snafu, well, shiznit happens.  We'll blame the jet skiier, I mean, really, he shouldn't have been that close or that fast.  Nice race overall, you have lessons to take away from the experience as well as plenty of good things, too.  Next year will be even better!  Congrats!

2014-09-23 7:26 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You kept yourself in the mix when your head wasn't in it and in spite of a mistake had a good time (& learned something or two in the process)

Great job, you have come a long way this season!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Started by mobottri
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 7:54 PM mobottri

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 3:12 PM SrhJarvis

Started by velocomp
Views: 1189 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 6:54 AM velocomp

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1665 Posts: 3

2008-09-09 1:32 PM skarl

Started by Max_O
Views: 1636 Posts: 2

2008-09-08 7:38 AM FF Stock
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.