General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner to Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 9:43 AM

Subject: Beginner to Ironman
Hi All,

People on here might say i'm being stupid but have signed up to run the Outlaw Triathlon (Ironman Distance) next July and it will be the first triathlon I have done other than a sprint distance a few years ago.

My background is Swimming. I can clock a 20:30 1500 in the pool and do a 10k swim in around 2 hours 28.

Cycling history is less good.....I just got my first road bike and trying to build up the miles in my legs

Running is the same, doing 10km runs twice a week at the moment with about a 60 minute pace.

I'm also 5ft 10 and currently 200 llbs so I know I need to drop the weight and hoping the training will take care of a lot of this as well as a healthier diet.

I've joined here in the hope that people say this is doable and to help me figure out the best way to make it happen!!

Edited by Jamescliff 2014-09-23 9:44 AM

2014-09-24 2:21 PM
in reply to: Jamescliff

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Beginner to Ironman

It's absolutely doable. You already know your weaknesses, and areas you need to improve.

A coach would obviously be helpful.

I would recommend getting a training plan (I used Don Fink's "Be Iron Fit" plan). I personally liked the structure, which allowed me to focus on just following the plan. You need to understand that this is a massive undertaking, and will take a significant committment on your part, to sacrifice your free time.

There's plenty of sound advice on this site, so just do some research, and ask questions.

Good luck!

2014-09-25 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to BT!

You've got lots of time to prepare for your race, but I would second the advice to find a training plan to help structure your training.  

I've found that frequency & consistency are keys to preparing for a race and having a plan helps me to keep in track.  I'm currently using an Oly plan that I got here on BT and it's working out well for me.

Sounds like you're starting from a pretty good place with your swimming which is great since it's the toughest disciple for most folks.

Good luck with your training.

Mark

2014-10-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Thanks both.

makes me feel better than you think it's doable!

just working on getting some miles in my legs at the moment. one of the difficulties of being from a swim background is that I have never ever trained legs and so the combined new effort of running and cycling is hitting parts that I never new could hurt.
Fitness wise, i'm responding well but the aches that come with it are pretty hard. With that in mind, would people recomend focussing more on 1 discipline to start?

I'm currently running 2 10kms a week and doing bike seissions either on the road or in the gym. but I don't feel like I ever really recover from 1 before I go again. Is this just normal and par for the course?

Thanks,

James
2014-10-01 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd suggest you try running the same weekly volume, but split it up into three or four runs/week rather than only two.  If you're not able to recover completely between runs, then you're going either too fast or too far based on your currently level of fitness.  The old rule of thumb to avoid injury is to increase your total distance only 10% per week.

A lot of folks will put more focus on their weakness, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the other two disciplines.  In particular, swimming is more technical and a perishable skill, so you need to maintain the frequency of your workouts to reinforce your technique, even if you need to cut back on the volume.

As I suggested earlier, it probably would be helplful to take a look at some training plans (including the free plans here on BT) for ideas on how to structure your training.

In my experience the biggest thing is consistency; you want to continually build on your level of fitness.  If you're inconsistent or skip too many workouts, then it will be like you're starting over all the time.

Good luck.

Mark

2014-10-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Bronze member

As IRONMAN has now trademarked (!) "Anything is possible"

As previous posters have said- you can do this- but you need to accept that it will be a big commitment of time and energy to do so. And slow and steady building with a specific plan is the safest and most efficient way to get there- starting now ..with building base in all 3 disciplines. Good Luck! keep us posted!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner to Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Ironman Training

Started by Ironmom78
Views: 594 Posts: 4

2014-05-22 1:37 AM IndoIronYanti

Ironman in training... beginner/newbie

Started by jaysinz
Views: 1191 Posts: 5

2013-07-12 2:55 PM Chokebait

Beginner - Coeur dÁlene Ironman 2012

Started by shadrach12345
Views: 1576 Posts: 10

2011-09-27 11:10 AM McFuzz

Yet another BEGINNER beginner....HI!

Started by robyntri
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2010-09-17 2:18 PM McFuzz

Dong first Ironman this Year - Ironman Austria

Started by luvs2tri
Views: 1494 Posts: 6

2004-01-21 11:31 PM luvs2tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : December 12, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Listen in as to how Peter overcame his shoulder injury in the middle of training for his first Ironman and how he had to modify that training.
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.