General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Odd Run in Taper Week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 10:34 AM

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: Odd Run in Taper Week
I did my last hard ride, a sufferfest video, on Sunday, then started my taper week today. I had Monday off.

This may have been the wrong time to start trying something different, so don't be too mean... I read the post about sports drinks, and it also mentioned on the video about shoes and fore/mid foot running. I've always had a bit of an interest in it, but never done anything about it. So today on my run of 2 x 2 mile runs. First away from my house, up a decent hill at about 1 mile, 10 minutes rest, then back down the hill home. I always aim to get back quicker than I got there.

My previous best on this run is about 14 minutes on the way out and about 13m35s on the way back.

As it's a taper week, I didn't push it, but I was looking at mid foot running. I got there in 13m48s. I didn't feel like I pushed it but I thought I was may be just fresh from a day off.

On the way back, my legs felt a bit tired, so I just tried to keep an even pace, and at one point I had to slow right down to pass people. Still working on mid foot running, I got back in 12m6s. Pretty shocked, and don't know where it came from.

Any Ideas about the run? Fresh legs? Mid foot running a lot better than heel striking first? Training suddenly a lot better (doubt it lol)?

Also, although it may not be the best time to start changing my running, do other people aim for fore/mid foot running?

2014-09-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Odd Run in Taper Week

Firstly- taper is not a bad time to try new things.  Race day is the bad time  so, you're good there.

There's nothing magical about heel, mid or forefoot striking.  one is not better than the other.  What you do want to avoid is 'overstriding'.  that is- when your weight comes down on your foot; your foot should be more or less underneath you, not out in front of you.  Often, heel striking is tied to overstriding, and it is inherently less efficient, as with each strike of your foot out in front of you, you are slowing yourself down a bit.

So, worry less about heel/mid/fore, and more about 'where' your foot is when it lands.  Granted, short of slow motion video, it's often difficult to really tell.  One sure way to keep your feet under you is to run with a cadence of around 180bpm.  It's nearly impossible to overstride at that cadence.  it generally takes months to re-train your body to that increased cadence (if you're not already there).

and- congratulations on the better time today.  My guess is that you're going to surprise yourself on race day as to how fast you are.  But- that's what race day is for.    good luck and have fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Odd Run in Taper Week Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Midweek long run during taper week?

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 858 Posts: 10

2013-03-19 9:55 PM mikericci

2 week vs. 3 week IM taper

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1671 Posts: 7

2012-10-29 7:03 PM swiss tri

Last week before Taper Week!

Started by inspiration
Views: 956 Posts: 5

2011-03-22 9:51 PM inspiration

Taper for run event, tri A race two weeks out

Started by TriMike
Views: 676 Posts: 6

2007-08-22 12:07 PM monkeyboy64

Need help planning taper week

Started by dolly
Views: 686 Posts: 6

2004-07-07 12:18 PM dolly
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.
date : November 23, 2010
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.