General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any bicuspids out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: Any bicuspids out there?
I found out a couple of years ago that I have a bicuspid aortic valve. This was discovered during routine testing when I turned 50. (52 now).
I feel great and I have been doing (for me) a lot of training and racing in the last couple of years. In fact I have a streak of four age group wins in my last four races (5km run, Spartan Sprint, Xterra Sprint Tri, Duathlon)!

I have mild leakage of my aortic valve. (Which I understand is not uncommon, even for people with normal valves)
The diameter of aorta is 4.1 cm (4.0 and below is considered normal).
I will have testing done yearly to monitor changes.
My cardiologist says i should definitely avoid strenuous weight lifting. However he's a little vague regarding restrictions on other types of vigorous exercise.

So if there are other bicuspids (or knowledgeable folks) out there...
Are you backing off on intensity or duration in your training?
Have you experienced any symptoms or problems? When did they start?
From a brief (amateur) search of the research it looks to me like the links between exercise and aortic valve deterioration are tenuous.

Sport is very important to me and I doubt that I will learn anything that will cause me to make drastic changes to my training. As much as anything I guess I'm just looking to make contact and commiserate with others that might be in a similar situation.
Thanks
Don

Edited by donw 2014-09-23 2:08 PM

2014-09-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Any bicuspids out there?

Hi Don,

I had a bicuspid aortic valve that was first diagnosed when I was five years old. From that point had annual checkups with a cardiologist.   I was never given any restrictions on my activities while growning up and was always active in sports, including age group swimming, football, wrestling, track & field, etc.     I was told that some folks never develop symptoms from bicuspid valves, but there was also a possiblity that I might need a valve replacement later in life. 

I was asymptomatic until mid-2000 at age 47 when over a period of about six months I started to develop shortness of breath, chronic fatigue and fluid collecting in my lungs.  At first I discounted my symptoms as jet lag, stress from work, and being out of shape.  For several months I was able to push myself through my workouts at the gym, but eventually my symptoms got to the point where I was unable to complete even routine tasks around the house.  

At that point I went to see my cardiologist. My valve had started to calcilfy and he recommended that I have valve replacement surgery within the next three months.  Without the surgery he told me I had about a three year life expectancy.  I went ahead and had the surgery later that week, in December 2000, when I got a St Jude mechanical aortic valve.

During my surgery they discovered that I also had significant enlargement of my left ventricle caused by the heart having to work harder to compensate for the leaking valve.  They weren't sure at that point if the damage would be permanent.

In the years prior to my surgery I had been and avid weightlifter and was in the gym 5-6 mornings per week.  After my surgery my cardiologist urged me to stop any heavy lifting and focus more on aerobic exercise - "as much as I could handle".

I started out with walking, then jogging and then got back in the pool.  One thing led to another and in early 2004, three years post-op, I did my first sprint triathlon.  Been at it every since.

My primary care physician is also a triathlete and my cardiologist is a cyclist, and both have been very supportive of my triathlon training.

At the time of my surgery my resting heart rate (RHR) was around 72 bpm and my blood pressure was in the pre-hypertensive range.  Now ten years later my RHR is 42 bpm and my BP is 118/70.

I still see my cardiologist annually and get an echocardiogram every other year.  Interestingly, the enlargement of my left ventricle reversed itself within about 18 months of surgery, but over the last few years my heart has now re-mapped itself due to my training and now shows some enlargement typically associated with 'athete's heart'. 

I'm now 61 years old.  The limitations to my training and perfomance are related to orthopedic issues (knees & Achilles) and the need for more recovery time due to age, not anything cardiovascular. 

Hope this helps.

Mark

2014-09-26 8:08 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing your story. There's obviously no way to know how this will progress in my case. As long as my (yearly) test results don't get worse I won't change what I'm doing. If my situation worsens I'll figure out what to do at that time. It does help to hear how successful your surgery was and how active you have been since the operation.
Don
2014-09-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I have lots of patients with congenital bicuspid aortic valves. One of my favorite patients beat my record on the treadmill and is an outstanding triathlete. I follow him closely and have cautioned him off long course triathlon. Based on his echo and BP response, he is allowed to participate in short course racing.

Work with your cardiologist and decide on best long term treatment and risk/benefit.

good luck!
2014-10-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5053192

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Thanks Dale. So far my cardiologist and family doc haven't really given me any restrictions. Oddly enough I was wondering about going a little longer in the future to avoid the intensity of shorter races. Don
2015-03-21 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5056929

, Ontario
I saw a cardiologist this year. I was only diagnosed about three years ago. I only developed mild regurgitation in the testing this year. I have no murmur. I have no symptoms (other than worry). I have no calcification yet. I specifically asked about triathlons as both my husband and I were worried and was told that I should continue annual or every other year check ups but otherwise I could continue with triathlons and as much exercise as my body tolerated - listen and report any symptoms that develop over the years, if any.

I have been very freaked out from time to time by the diagnosis and reading on the Internet that I may need a valve replacement with open heart surgery and so wanted to reply to your post as it is nice to share with someone who also has this diagnosis

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any bicuspids out there? Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout