General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT Cancelled, and it gets worse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 2:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: IMLT Cancelled, and it gets worse
I am so peaved atm. Ok so I get it that IMLT had to be cancelled and that they waited until we were on the sand 5 min before race start. So then they offer some options to kind of make up for it. All of their options cost you additional $. Ok so they are going to charge $100 to $400 to replace a race that they cancled and their insurance pays for, but then we get hit also above and beyond travel, a place to stay etc. etc. Then I go to the web to do the sign up thing and it does not give any options and dumps me into Chattanooga TN which is 2500+ miles away and I would have to be there in 72 hours. Ironman is not answering their phones or returning calls, Active says it is Ironman's fault even though Active set up the registration portal. I have to say that I may well be done with the Ironman brand forever....if they don't do some responding and make things right soon. Rant off. Just really hard physically, emotionaly and then to get jerked around with the registration and no one even willing to give you a nod that they will look into it. Sigh.

2014-09-23 4:47 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: IMLT Cancelled, and it gets worse

Per WTC:

The "Option 1" selections are being released on a schedule: 

Registration for any 2014 events will not be available until Tuesday, September 23rd and will follow the schedule outlined below:

Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga benefiting Crohn's & Colitis (9/28/2014

IRONMAN Arizona presented by Waste Management (11/16/2014

IRONMAN Florida (11/1/2014

Ford IRONMAN Cozumel (11/30/2014

IRONMAN Barcelona (10/5/2014

IRONMAN Fortaleza (11/9/2014

Sunsmart IRONMAN Western Australia (12/7/2014

2014-09-23 6:59 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I know, I was online at the specified time, from the specified linc, paying the extra $100 for a race I already paid for once, I attempted to register for IMAZ and it dumped me into Chatanooga without giving me an option, with no way to undo it and no response from Ironman or Active. So it looks like I drive 5000 miles this weekend and take another 6 days off work or get nothing because no one will even respond to phone calls or emails, no one answering the phone at all it just goes to voicemail or worse. No customer service at all, very frustrating.
2014-09-23 9:44 PM
in reply to: #5053208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
The IMAZ entries sold out in a couple of minutes. That's why your only option was Chatt. You do realize you clicked through several times to register for Chatt, right? Not seeing how that's WTC's fault.
2014-09-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: #5053345

User image

Champion
MA
WTC offered very few slots for US IMs for 2014 under 500. Those that have the fitness and want to race this year didn't have many options and majority were unable to get a slot. Plus quite a few folks had issues and missed out trying for those limited slots. WTC should be assisting those who had issues and making things right quickly. Not replying to emails promptly is poor customer service but that is nothing new for them.
2014-09-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Canyon, Texas
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The IMAZ entries sold out in a couple of minutes. That's why your only option was Chatt. You do realize you clicked through several times to register for Chatt, right? Not seeing how that's WTC's fault.

IMAZ was 'on hold' after 15 seconds. Chattanooga is too far away and too soon. I guess I'm stuck with the next best option, IMLT15. Unfortunately, I was already signed up for IMWI... a week prior to IMLT :/

2014-09-24 10:00 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Baowolf

I am so peaved atm. Ok so I get it that IMLT had to be cancelled and that they waited until we were on the sand 5 min before race start. So then they offer some options to kind of make up for it. All of their options cost you additional $. Ok so they are going to charge $100 to $400 to replace a race that they cancled and their insurance pays for, but then we get hit also above and beyond travel, a place to stay etc. etc. Then I go to the web to do the sign up thing and it does not give any options and dumps me into Chattanooga TN which is 2500+ miles away and I would have to be there in 72 hours. Ironman is not answering their phones or returning calls, Active says it is Ironman's fault even though Active set up the registration portal. I have to say that I may well be done with the Ironman brand forever....if they don't do some responding and make things right soon. Rant off. Just really hard physically, emotionaly and then to get jerked around with the registration and no one even willing to give you a nod that they will look into it. Sigh.

You signed a wavier that said they didn't have to give you ANY of these options. What WTC is offering is doing something that they don't have to do, they are trying to make up for what people didn't get. Keep in mind they are trying to respond to 2700 athletes that are in this problem all while putting on an Ironman in Chattanooga, and a race of 3000+ in Augusta.

People complain about the $100 dollar charges, really how much is that in the long run with what you spent, how much does it cost to fill your gas tank for the week?

Sorry I am not a fan favorite of WTC but in this situation they are really going above and beyond for the athletes of IMLT, but they cannot be perfect for everyone.

I cannot image how hard and frustrating it is to work in the WTC offices this week.
2014-09-25 7:58 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by tlancer23
Originally posted by GMAN 19030 The IMAZ entries sold out in a couple of minutes. That's why your only option was Chatt. You do realize you clicked through several times to register for Chatt, right? Not seeing how that's WTC's fault.
IMAZ was 'on hold' after 15 seconds. Chattanooga is too far away and too soon. I guess I'm stuck with the next best option, IMLT15. Unfortunately, I was already signed up for IMWI... a week prior to IMLT :/

The OP was complaining he had no other option than IMChatt and was forced to somehow register for it against his will.  IMAZ sold out so IMChatt was his only option (at the time he was trying to register) for Option 1.  He still had Option 2 (IMLT 2015) and Option 3 (2015 IM at 50%) available.

I'm not sure what everyone thinks WTC should be doing.  They legally didn't have to give you guys anything.

2014-09-25 11:47 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by bcagle25

Sorry I am not a fan favorite of WTC but in this situation they are really going above and beyond for the athletes of IMLT

Yeah I was surprised to read the OP's sentiment as the VAST majority of other reactions I am reading and hearing are overly positive - due to how WTC is handing the situation when they could have just said "too bad, you signed the forms, you get nothing."

2014-09-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
The OP is essentially getting nothing while other folks in the same situation are getting to pick another race from among several options. Whether the website glitched up or he accidentally hit the wrong button(s), he cannot even get to Chattanooga this weekend. He said he tried contacting them immediately, and as far as I know has yet to get so much as a return phone call or email. I'm sure WTC was swamped with calls, e-mails, etc., so hopefully he will at least hear from them eventually. If not, that is no bueno!

Also just so you know, Steve has been a generous mentor to many of us here on BT for several years, has done multiple IM's and was working on racing WTC IM's enough to snag a legacy spot at Kona. He rarely if ever complains. I just don't think it's too much to ask for him to receive a response from WTC, nor do I think he should lose out on the same opportunity as others who didn't get to race at IMLT, for what was either an honest mistake or a system glitch.
2014-09-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I didn't read it that he actually registered for IMChatt, just that was his only option.

Please tell me he didn't actually register for IMChatt because you really can't accidentally register for an IM without going through several screens of information.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLT Cancelled, and it gets worse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 National Harbor Cancelled

Started by japewang
Views: 1719 Posts: 1

2012-05-04 5:32 PM japewang

IM China Cancelled

Started by swiss tri
Views: 3222 Posts: 14

2011-05-14 1:34 AM papson14

Ironman Korea Cancelled!!!

Started by travisdotn
Views: 2005 Posts: 6

2008-01-11 8:06 PM Steve-

KONA 2006 Cancelled?

Started by HammerheadNY
Views: 1826 Posts: 15

2006-10-16 6:34 PM swbkrun

Colonial Triathlon cancelled??

Started by Scout
Views: 766 Posts: 5

2006-03-09 7:54 AM KEJ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”