General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Townsend, Tennessee
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/36
Pre-race routine:

As this was an out of state race, we were in a hotel, so my normal pre- race routine was shot. But, it's nothing special anyway, so this was no big deal.
Up at 4, drank coffee, and ate a kind bar. Drove the roughly .5 mile to the race site in time to get on the buses that took us to the start. We weren't t lazy driving to the site, there were no street lights , we'd have to walk in wet grass and we wanted access to the car to change post race.
Event warmup:

Nothing but my shivering body and chattering teeth. It was in the mid 50*s at the start of the race! which is perfect! but this Florida girl isn't used to it, so when I had to shed my jacket for final gear check I was cold. I made Tracie and Susan huddle around me to keep me warm.
Run
  • 1h 57m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I really didn't know what to expect this race. Early summer I was running really well, but as is my theme, I injured myself a bit and ended up having to slow my pace a lot. After that injury healed, I kept my pace pretty slow as I was finally healing my chronically achy hamstring. So, I knew I had the distance in me, just didn't know the pace.

I also didn't know how an uphill course would affect my time. The course's overall gain is not bad at all, but there were a lot of hills. There were a few of them I almost walked, but didn't since if I did I didn't think I'd start again! Those hills also brought me to the edge of puking. So, that was fun!

I started the race running with Tracie, but knew she'd pull away. She is much faster than i, but I thought that since she just ran a marathon 2 weeks earlier, she would go more slowly and I could hang for a bit. Miles 1-3 I was with her and on my normal HM pace. Then she started to pull away. For many miles she was only about 25-30 feet in front of me, but it may as well have been 1000 feet, there was no sayid be able to catch her. Then about mile 8 or 9 she was just a colored shirt I see flashing around a corner until I completely lost sight of her!
After Tracie pulled ahead of me, I was pretty much running alone. People would come up and pass me and I'd pass some, but we never ran together for more than. A few seconds. It could have been lonely, but the course was so pretty, I was happy being by myself.

My HM PR is 1:52 and through about half the course I wasn't too far off, but then the bigger up hills and camber came and my pace dropped and there was nothing I could do about it! I was also a little afraid to push too much since I really didn't know what the course had to offer and how'd I respond and I didn't want to blow up.
When the 2 hr pace group - pacer and 1 runner!!, went past me around mile 9 I was really discouraged, but when I checked my garmin I decided I was on tap to be well under 2 and they were fast. Thankfully, I was right.
The last mile you end up running across the street from the finish, then passing it a bit before going to a tunnel to the other side, up a steep, short hill and into the finish. It was a bit of a bummer to have to pass the finish, but as I did I heard the announcer call Tracie's name. That was pretty cool and got me picking up my legs a bit. But just a bit.
Came into the finish and was really happy to be sub 2.
What would you do differently?:

If I'm going to run races in the smoky mountains I should probably get out to our "hills" a bit more! I also need to remember for these out of town races to take my normal pre-race breakfast with me - a cinnamon raison bagel. I had some kind bar, but was afraid to eat too much because my stomach is delicate :), so I may not have had proper nutrition. I didn't feel like I was out of fuel, but maybe some of my hill struggles can be attributed to it.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water then waited with Tracie for Susan to finish. That didn't take too long. Tracie placed 3d in the. Master's division and I won my AG, so we stuck around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Florida .

Event comments:

This was the first year for this race and overall the company did a really nice job and had really nice swag. They were a bit disorganized with awards and timing. Some people's chips didn't register, so at first I was told I placed 5th in masters ( they went 5 deep in each category) and even got the award. Then later that day an email went out saying they messed up stuff and asked people to check results and email if there was a problem. They then decided another runner placed 2d in Masters which pushed everyone else down and me out! They said they will send me the AG award, so I will have 3 medals!

Last updated: 2014-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:08 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/36
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This was a point to point race. 12 miles were on back roads that basically followed a river and which provided a lot of shade. The first 5 miles had a bit of roll to them and then it started getting steeper. Miles 8-12 were quite steep, but luckily most hills weren't really long- although some were. The road was also extremely cambered which made it difficult to run those sections. Tracie said the camber was even worse than Big Sur which is considered very cambered. Mile 12 brought us out to the main road which meant no shade. It also meant we moved from road to a walking/bike asphalt trail next to the road. Of course, it was mostly up hill, but it was pretty gentle until one steep, but short up hill right before the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-09-23 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon

2014-09-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: #5053225

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon

Wow, congrats on 1st AG on a hilly course, you flatlander!   But in all seriousness, good race!  Very cool you got to hear Tracy's name being called.

2014-09-23 7:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

For a bum hamstring and some serious change of terrain to race you ROCKED this!!

Congratulations on the AG win!

2014-09-23 11:14 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Hands!!  Even though it was cold at the start, you managed to do a pretty kick-azz job, what with winning your AG, making your time goal and all.  You overcame a lot of adversity to just get TO the race and you not only made it there, you *owned* it.  Congrats!!

2014-09-24 8:35 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race! Sub 2 in hills!

I'm so glad that the scenery was what you were expecting :-)

Take care!

2014-09-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks ladies, i am pretty happy with the results.

2014-09-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #5053225

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on 1st in AG!!!!!!! I looked at the elevation profile on Strava. That was crazy hilly, especially for a flat lander! Adding camber doesn't help either. Glad you had a good race and enjoyed the Smokey Mountains.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Arby's Rocky Mountain Half-Marathon

Started by Gearwhore
Views: 814 Posts: 2

2007-06-11 3:34 PM jamesG

Arby's Rocky Mountain Half-Marathon

Started by RLK
Views: 758 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 9:32 PM RLK

Steamboat Mountain Half Marathon

Started by davidsra
Views: 1390 Posts: 4

2006-02-15 10:17 PM jldicarlo

Rocky Mountain Half Marathon

Started by Alpine87
Views: 868 Posts: 5

2005-06-13 5:33 PM markdills38

6th Mountain Half-Marathon "Villa de Jarandilla"

Started by bambino
Views: 783 Posts: 1

2004-11-29 2:51 AM bambino
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.