Without Limits Productions
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 22s
Overall Rank = 161/301
Age Group = F4549
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45 and got ready while DH showered. Headed to Sbux for a dirty chai and a bagel. Had a couple bites of the bagel but didn't want to force it based on recent GI issues. Had a pack of Power Bar Chomps.

Got to the race site and picked a transition spot pretty much dead center. I like races with the wheel-stand type racks. Got everything set up then went to get my chip/body marked. Hit the porta loo then found Mary.

Chatted with Mary and her DH and my DH until just before transition closed. Went to grab my wetsuit and goggles then headed toward the beach. Stood on the beach checking out the costumes and watching 8 waves go off before ours.
Event warmup:

Got in the water a wave or two before ours and got those first few "oh chit" strokes out of the way. Once they called our wave I moved over in to a middle-ish position and got my Garmin ready to go, reminding myself to hit the left button this time!
Swim
  • 19m
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't know if my goggles or my lungs took on more water during the first 250! I was bi-lateral breathing and kept getting a faceful of water. Somewhere before the first turn I said to myself "self?", I said "yeah?", i said "how abouts we breath to the left dumb-azz?", I said "hey, good idea!". Once I switched to left only breathing things got much smoother. The buoy was pretty crowded so I kinda doggie paddled around it which gave me a chance to let out a big ol' non-lady-like burp which also made breathing much easier from there on.

I liked having the turns at 1/3 and 2/3s. It split the swim in to nice do-able chunks. Once I mad the turn I was still breathing left because it was still choppy, but I settled in and tried to find feet. I didn't find any feet going the right speed but I was able to go from one set to the next, working my way back up through the crowd. After the final turn I set my sights on the big red swim finish and got it done. Standing to walk when I saw most others had. The finish was full of large slick rocks so it was a bit tenderfooted.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out the breathing faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

Dang! That was terrible! I didn't lube my ankles. Fail! Struggled to get the wetsuit off. then everything was ok.

Lube my ankles!
Bike
  • 42m 14s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was a blast!!!

Ok, starting on washboarded dirt, notsomuch but overall this was a great bike course. I was constantly passing people and got passed 2, maybe 3 times! It wasn't pancake flat but I'd be exaggerating to say there were hills.

I "ate" a gel about half way in to the bike to make sure I had energy for the run, because I'd only eaten chomps for breakfast. It was a PowerBar Double Mocha and I loved the consistency! It was easy to get it out of the package!

At times passing was difficult because there were larger groups to get around but I'll consider that to be a good problem to have.

The road along east side of the reservoir was a wierd rubbery texture. I passed one girl while there and commented on the odd road surface. She agreed.

The 20th was thank an officer day but I got thank many many officers on the 21st. They were all over the place. We had a dedicated lane when we were on a busier highway which was nice for passing other bikes. I pushed hard for most of the bike but took a page from Coach's strategy and pedalled easier the last mile or so to get ready to transition to the run.

Finishing on the very rough pavement and then stopping on washboarded dirt was challenging but I won't complain too loud because the bike, overall, was awesome!

Not much. This was my best segment by far. My max HR was 131 so I probably could have pushed more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I had a bit of trouble finding my spot. I'd been looking for my unique purple bike/helmet and they were both with me :\ but I found it and got going on changing shoes.

Practice all in/outs
Run
  • 30m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 10s  min/km
Comments:

I didn't have the "i can't feel my feet" moment on this one. As I headed out of T2 I felt good and ready to run. The photographer was abougt 2/3 in to the first mile and had a sign set out so we could be ready. Nice!

After the photographer we curved a bit and headed up a hill. Not unbearable but a hill nonetheless. At the top of the hill was water and I needed to tie my shoe :(

After the water stop I set my sights on catching a young man who looked about my speed. I hit the turnaround then started up the false flat and saw Mary!!!!! She was looking sooooo strong!

I continued chasing the man in black. Going back down the hill was nice! Gaining on the man in black. Then with about a quarter mile to go he started walking. I said "C'mon we're almost there, you've got this" so he started up again and stayed off my shoulder for a bit. Then I heard him walk again. He managed to rally some strength and passed me in the chute.

Still working on getting my run back but after doing this one in just over 30 I'm feeling pretty good about RnR Denver.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish where DH was waiting, with my chocolate milk. Love that man! We stood and waited because we knew Mary would be through soon. Sure enough there she was!

We chatted for a bit then went in search of COFFEE (and she food). I talked with the people at SwimLabs, checked the results and gathered my stuff from transition. As we walked out we stopped to chat with Mary and DH a bit. Then she gave me CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!! *swoon* (haven't tapped in to it yet) We had to get back to the hotel so I could shower before checkout. We made it by 1 minute!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, fitness, injury. I'm getting there though.

Event comments:

For a local race this one is well done. The transition was well done and the post race had good stuff.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 880 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/20
Overall: 207/301
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless DeSoto
Course: Square, 250m per side
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:14 | 12.4 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 97/301
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Big square around the reservoir
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:47 | 05 kms | 06m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 189/301
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on a dirt/paved road along the reservoir
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-23 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

2014-09-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5053285

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Awesome race TJ!! Great AG rank, solidly MOP>

2014-09-23 10:37 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Denver, CO

I'm so glad you decided to do this race with me.  It was SO fun to have somebody to give me some in-the-moment coaching, plus it was great to see you out on the run even if my high-5ing technique sucks!  I knew you'd enjoy the ride too--it seemed like you'd be able to kick some booty just like you did!!  Let's do more races together, 'kay?

2014-09-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on a great race!  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has those types of conversations with themselves   

2014-09-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5053285

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice race, TJ, especially the bike and the run!  So cool you got to race with Mary again AND she gave you chocolate, not to mention the awesomeness of DH + chocolate milk = pure win!  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Started by mobottri
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 7:54 PM mobottri

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 3:12 PM SrhJarvis

Started by velocomp
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 6:54 AM velocomp

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1667 Posts: 3

2008-09-09 1:32 PM skarl

Started by Max_O
Views: 1636 Posts: 2

2008-09-08 7:38 AM FF Stock
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.