General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 310xt/GSC 10 pairing accuracy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 9:22 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Garmin 310xt/GSC 10 pairing accuracy
I have set my bike up on the trainer and this is my first year having my 310xt and I got the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor to go with it. Tonight while doing a Sufferfest video, it seemed to be working and picking up the data, but the distance and speed seemed way too low for what I am usually riding at on open roads. I was in one of the intervals, HR in zone 5, and it only said I was doing 15 mph. Usually at that sprinting effort on open roads I would be well over 20 mph. Then at the end of a 45 minute video, it said I had only gone 8 miles. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Cadence wise it seems to be accurate, just not on the distance/speed. Help! I know I went faster and farther than that!

2014-09-23 10:38 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin 310xt/GSC 10 pairing accuracy
Trainer speed has nothing to do with outside speed. A 100 pound person going 20 mph (lets make up 150 watts) outside needs a lot less power than a 200 pound person going 20 mph (lets make up 250 watts). Now switch it around...

Lets say at 15 mph you need to hit 150 watts on your trainer. This is going to be a workout for a 100 pound person while the 200 pound person this may be an easy ride since they can ride at a much higher power outdoors. Basically, ignore the speed on the trainer. It's just an FYI thing unless you sort of know that x mph is normally your interval zone (based upon past experience using your HR). My battery in my GSC went out a while ago and I've been too lazy to change it since I train with power and my PM sends out cadence too. Speed means nothing if you're stationary and not going anywhere
2014-09-24 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by KatieLimb

I have set my bike up on the trainer and this is my first year having my 310xt and I got the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor to go with it. Tonight while doing a Sufferfest video, it seemed to be working and picking up the data, but the distance and speed seemed way too low for what I am usually riding at on open roads. I was in one of the intervals, HR in zone 5, and it only said I was doing 15 mph. Usually at that sprinting effort on open roads I would be well over 20 mph. Then at the end of a 45 minute video, it said I had only gone 8 miles. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Cadence wise it seems to be accurate, just not on the distance/speed. Help! I know I went faster and farther than that!

What kind of trainer ?
2014-09-24 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Pay zero attention to speed and distance on the trainer.  Pay attention to power, HR, and RPE.

2014-09-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Utah
Originally posted by marcag

What kind of trainer ?

I think it is a Trac one? It is the Performance Bike brand, orange and white, a fluid trainer.
2014-09-24 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think it is a Trac one? It is the Performance Bike brand, orange and white, a fluid trainer.

I don't know about that one.

I agree with the comment that distance and speed are not good metrics on the trainer. HR and Power are better

However, there are some trainers, like the Kurt Kinetic that do have a pretty good power to speed correlation. It's in line with a very flat, no wind, road bike position, but it was made to mimick real world power vs speed.

As a matter of fact people that don't have power can use speed as a proxy on these trainers.

They simply require proper setup of the wheel size in the 310xt and a correct setting of the tension

It's not perfect but speed on these units is somewhat comparable to flat, no wind riding.

2014-09-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by marcag

I don't know about that one.

I agree with the comment that distance and speed are not good metrics on the trainer. HR and Power are better

However, there are some trainers, like the Kurt Kinetic that do have a pretty good power to speed correlation. It's in line with a very flat, no wind, road bike position, but it was made to mimick real world power vs speed.

As a matter of fact people that don't have power can use speed as a proxy on these trainers.

They simply require proper setup of the wheel size in the 310xt and a correct setting of the tension

It's not perfect but speed on these units is somewhat comparable to flat, no wind riding.

Sure, speed is a great substitute for power on a trainer with the right precautions (same tire pressure, trainer resistance), but that is not really the issue.

As mentioned above, the same effort (power) on the road may not produce the same speed on the trainer, and that is fine. Just normalize those variables mentioned above, and then you can (somewhat) compare trainer sessions by the speed and distance.

If it really bothers you, you can tweak the trainer resistance until it your bike computer matches your perceived speed. Just be aware that there needs to be enough (and not too much) tension of the roller on the tire!
2014-09-24 8:07 PM
in reply to: #5053336

Have you tried using traineroad and sufferfest? Traineroad calculates your power based on your bike trainer and the speed sensor. I just got the cyclops fluid 2 trainer and garmin speed sensor
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 310xt/GSC 10 pairing accuracy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suunto/Garmin GSC-10 calibration issues

Started by FlyinTiger
Views: 3166 Posts: 5

2014-07-09 6:28 PM FlyinTiger

Garmin+ GSC 10 auto-pause

Started by Panda_Jack
Views: 763 Posts: 3

2013-04-06 5:00 PM wolfador

Accuracy of Garmin 500 and 310XT

Started by Izlude
Views: 1260 Posts: 14

2010-10-07 7:20 AM tri-dg

Accuracy of the Garmin 500 and Garmin 310XT

Started by Izlude
Views: 2874 Posts: 16

2010-08-25 6:44 AM cbire880

Garmin 305 and Cadence Sensor GSC 10

Started by raveon
Views: 1298 Posts: 11

2009-12-11 8:49 PM CraigT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.