General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you carry fluids? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-24 8:50 AM

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: When do you carry fluids?
Just wondering when people feel the need to carry fluid in their exercise and events?

Each discipline separately to begin with. Also with a note towards the weather, as the hotter it is, the earlier I'm guessing people need fluid.

Then how short would the tri need to be to forego a bottle? If you did that, would you take a good sip in transitions?

And then, just to satisfy my curiosity, what would you do for my tri this weekend? It's a 400m pool swim, 28km pretty flat bike, 6.25km flat run. And the weather is meant to be about 20 degrees (about 70 in old money) and overcast.

2014-09-24 9:01 AM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: When do you carry fluids?
On every bike ride I take at bottle of water, even if it is a short one. I carry water on runs if it is really hot, or anything over an hour long.
2014-09-24 9:06 AM

Veteran
I too would put a water bottle on the bike regardless of the distance just to have it should I want a drink, but I don't ever carry water with me on the run - and even when running on my own, anything under 13 miles I can go without water. but I also drink at least 6 liters of water during the day so I am well hydrated come run time. everyone is different, and your lifestyle outside of sports also makes a different.
2014-09-24 9:23 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

For me, it totally depends on the heat/humidity.
I seldom have to carry water, since there's an abundance of water fountains along the lake here in Chicago. Anything over 15 miles, I'll bring Infinit mix.

As an example, I regularly run home from work, about 6.2 miles, last night, it was 65 and dry, I didn't stop once to drink. Over the summer, when it's 80's and humid, I'll stop 3, maybe 4 times.

I tend to be overprecautious regarding hydration.
For your upcomng race, I would have some water at the pool (or in T1) for when I exit, since I get a LOT hotter pool swimming versus OWS.
For the bike, assuming there are no aid stations, I would have a 20oz water, and 20oz sports drink mix in my cage.
For the run, I'd probably carry a bottle of sports mix.

2014-09-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Always carry a bottle on the bike

Anything over an hour on the run

And always take in water on the swim (unintentionally)

2014-09-24 9:51 AM
in reply to: jford2309

Well, since I might be the reason for the question I'll chime in. . .

Training wise,

Swim, nothing.

Bike, under an hour, nothing unless it's super hot. If over an hour, a bottle. Over two hours, two bottles.

Run, never carry water, I find it annoying. I'll plan a long run around water fountains or a gas station. Unless it's hot, I'll run up to two hours without water.

Race wise,

Standard sprint, nothing. I'll take the cages off too even though I know it's hardly saving a gram or two of drag. Everything gram counts right?

Olympic, a bottle if it's cooler, two if it's warmer. If one, sports drink. If two, one water, one sports drink.

Longer, two, both with sports drink.

For your race this weekend, I'd take one bottle since the bike and run are a bit longer, I'll want to drink something, but not a lot.

2014-09-24 9:53 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Denver, CO

Always H2O with somewhat dilute Skratch Labs) on the bike and plain H2O on the run.  My mouth gets really dry so I have a small hand-held bottle I use on runs.  About 1/2 of each gulp gets spit out, the other half goes down the hatch.  I overheat pretty easily so I use the H2O at the race aid stations to dump on myself to help with cooling.  I also keep a bottle of Skratch at my transition area so I can take a few sips of that during transitions. 

2014-09-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Hereford, England
Originally posted by ziggie204

Well, since I might be the reason for the question I'll chime in. . .

Yes you are! But thanks for the advice!

I just can't decided, I'll probably end up with one bottle though.
2014-09-24 10:09 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by KatieLimb On every bike ride I take at bottle of water, even if it is a short one. I carry water on runs if it is really hot, or anything over an hour long.

x2, and I will add calories (either sports drink or gel, etc) if it's over 90 min.  For a sprint tri, I usually have a sports drink bottle on the bike and just water from aid station on the run.

2014-09-24 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Training:

Bike: one bottle per hour.

Run:  I've tried a carry bottle or hydration belt for runs > 1 hour, but found they were too much of a hassle.  I now plan long run routes around public water fountains, and carry a few buck so I can stop at a convenience store to get something if need be.

Swim:  I normally have a water bottle at the end of my lane for drinks between long sets.

Racing: 

One bottle on the bike through Oly distance.  On the run I rely on the course water stations.

Mark 

2014-09-24 11:47 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Swim - if doing a hard workout that will take over an hour, never in a race

Bike - always, unless very short race

Run - depends on conditions, can go without for 2hrs+ when cool & dry, but never carry in a race (use aid stations)

To forgo drinking in a tri, the race can't take me much over an hour and temps have to be favorable (ie, cool).  Would not drink in transition (better to drink on bike or run).

For your tri, I would probably put a bottle of water or sports drink (probably the latter) on the bike.  Maybe I would consider not carrying any and getting something from an aid station (if they have them) early on the run, if it seemed cool enough.  If there are no run aid stations, definitely carry the bottle on the bike and drink from it.  Then you won't need to carry anything when you run.

2014-09-24 12:05 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
For informational porpoises, I'm in Clyde range and I drink between 3-5 liters of water/day.

Training-
Swim: Never. Even when I've been in the pool over an hour, I've never felt thirsty.
Bike: If I'm on the bike, I have a bottle of water, period. Even if it's a short, relaxing ride with my wife simply because one or both of us may get thirsty.
Run: Since I don't run over 5K yet, I don't really see the need. I'm also mostly within 1mi walking distance to the house should the need arise.

Race-
Swim: Still no. I run sprints which has me in the water for less than 15mins.
Bike: I have only 1 rack. I'll either take straight water or 50/50 water/sports drink depending on both temps and any GI issues. Will get a double rack for the seat (working towards Oly distances in '16) and next year will have a water bottle and a 50/50 bottle.
T2: Will generally take an extra swig from the bottle on my bike juse before heading out for the run.
Run: I rely on the aid stations.
2014-09-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Minnesota
I can go for 2 hours on either a run or ride without water, but carry do carry water on anything over a half hour when training. I believe one performs and makes the most gains when well hydrated.

Edited by TriJedi 2014-09-24 12:18 PM
2014-09-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

I always take water on the bike, racing or training. I don't notice the difference in weight, and it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For runs, if it is hot, I will take water for anything over an hour, otherwise, I run for up to 2 hours without water. It is a hassle to carry.

I never swim for much more than an hour, but sometimes I like to have water waiting for me when I get done.
2014-09-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

On the bike i will always have at least one bottle, if short distance then it will be water.  for training runs it depends on the distance and pace.  typically over 1 hr 30 mins i will wear my fuel belt or if im doing a harder longer tempo of an hour i will wear the fuel belt then as well.

for a race:  again on the bike same as above but for the run it depends on where the aid stations are and how far apart they are.  There is a marathon for example, up north of where i live that has an aid station every mile starting at the 1.5 mile mark.  For that event i don't wear the fuel belt and take sips of water or gatorade from the aid stations.  There i another marathon in my town (about 10 days away now!) that only has 13 aid stations and are not evenly spaced apart so i might be wearing my fuelt belt.  For ultras i always wear the fuel belt or camel back because those aid stations are a lot farther apart!

2014-09-24 2:58 PM

User image

I always carry at least one bottle with me on the bike in training.  I've done rides of around an hour where I didn't drink if it wasn't hot, but it's nice to have it there since it doesn't make any difference (in training) if there was no bottle at all.

For shorter sprint like races, I'll usually have a small bottle that is half full with sports drink.  I'd say about half the time I don't even touch it, but sometimes it's nice to have just to wet your mouth.  Also, some say that the sugar taste in your mouth sends some type of signal to your brain that allows you to push just a tad bit harder.  I'm no scientist to know whether it's true or not, but having a small bottle between my aerobars shouldn't hurt me aerodynamically (and may actually help), so I don't see what the downside is.

For the run, I would just sip off water or sports drink at the aid station(s).

2014-09-24 9:47 PM

User image

New user
I'm cool with being a little sparse with fluids in training but really like to be prepared at races and not tied to aide stations.

Swim:
Training - almost never. Sometimes I'll put a water bottle at the end of my lane if I remember, but I rarely use it. Of course, never open water.
Racing - unless I swallow lake, never.

Bike:
Training - camelback for most rides (I usually only ride long outside, short rides are on the trainer with all the bottles I want at hand). Generally half to full strength gatorade depending on the intensity/heat. If I do ride short outside, I'll just throw a bottle on.
Racing - aero bottle only for sprint. For everything else, aero bottle + downtube bottle full of gatorade, full strength.

Run:
Training - under 5 miles, nothing. Over 5 miles - handheld with gatorade. Over 10 miles or less but hot - handheld with gatorade with backup bottles prepared at the house to change out. I went through 3 frozen bottles one summer 13 mile run. Long run when I won't be near the house - camelback with gatorade. I really really hate running with it but sometimes it's the only option.
Racing - handheld w/gatorade, unless it's a cold short race. I like having my own drink to sip and while I can tolerate on course aide - I like mine better.

Good luck with the race!
2014-09-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: Quix

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I train and race in very hot, humid conditions pretty much year round, so my needs might be different than most.

Training

Swim: I generally try to have a bottle poolside, and drink every 15 minutes or so. Mainly because I always swim in the afternoon when I have pool,access, so I may well be running low on fluids after a morning workout and teaching all day. Usually plain water.

Biking: Lately I have been doing it all on the trainer since I don't have any actual tris until next spring, so of course have a bottle on board. Normally one 750 ml bottle with 1/2 or a whole Nuun tablet. (Warm plastic water tastes really gross; I use the Nuun tablets not just for electrolytes but for flavor.) About one of those bottles per hour. For two hours, one bottle has the more concentrated Nuun and one less. I don't know why but it works better for me to have them in that order. For really hot conditions or long rides outaide, I can also put on the aerobottle.

Running: anything over 45-50 minutes (60-70 minutes in Oregon on. a cool day), also for a brick of any length because I assume I'm already dehydrated from the bike part. Usually 500 ml of water with 1/2 a diluted Nuun tablet in a bottle; two bottles for 90 minutes and up. No fuel unless the run exceeds 90 minutes, then a gu.

Racing: Really depends on the location (tropics or Northwest US), length, and setup for the race.

Swim: Of course nothing. If they offer water before T1 I take it because I really can't stand the taste of salt water (most of my tri swims are in the ocean, and it's not always pristine water, either.)

Bike: I always have a bottle on the bike. In a sprint, just the aerobottle. Might just take a few sips, but I would still make sure to drink. In an Oly, I the aerobottle and one 750 ml bottle. My last Oly I got paranoid about dropping a bottle (it's in extremely hot conditions) and I think I actually had both 750 ml bottles AND the aerobottle. Same diluted Nuun setup as in training, just water in the aerobottle.

Run: Depends. Nothing for 5K run or sprint tri. I might take some water on a tri run if offered. For an Oly, sometimes I take my own bottle if I don't like the drinks served or the positioning of the aid stations, otherwise just take what's offered on the course. For HM or HIM, I like having my own drink bottle (same as in training) so I know I have some of a drink I like when I want it. Some Asian races serve weird drinks or only bottled water, so this is nice to have. I'd also consider it for an Oly with a really crowded run. I felt like I wasted a lot of time in one tropical race last year trying to get what I needed at aid stations with many people walking through them or even standing at them.

2014-09-25 5:43 PM

I tend to get dehydrated pretty easily, so I always have a bottle on the bike (usually water with a bit of gatorade mixed in). For the run, regardless of the distance I tend to carry a bottle as well. It can definitely be an inconvenience, but for me it's been invaluable when I need it to not have to rely on water stations/ fountains during races and finding a store/ water fountain when I'm out around my house.
2014-09-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: #5053437

User image

Bike alway... even a half bottle in a sprint so I can keep my mouth wet and rinse out the salt. All pool workouts.... its not like I have to carry it. Running depends on how hot and humid it is. I dont do well in the heatand will carry a handheld on any run if its hot enouh. Ive never carried water on the run in a tri (longest tri is oly), but I did for my HM. Gatorade bothers my stomach so I wanted my own mix.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you carry fluids? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Carrying Nutrition/Fluids HIM/IM

Started by JoshuaBlackburn
Views: 764 Posts: 6

2014-06-26 10:28 PM JoshuaBlackburn

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Blackburn fluid trainer - what am I doing wrong?

Started by trishie
Views: 637 Posts: 2

2009-06-15 10:10 PM Experior

Chain tool - do you carry it? Should I carry one?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1332 Posts: 21

2009-04-27 9:56 PM graceful_dave
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 12, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For athletes, the saying “Drink responsibly” holds true for all fluids. Don’t let dehydration—or overhydration—hurt your ability to enjoy exercise and perform at your best.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 1
Without doubt, the single most glaring error I have noticed is the scarce amount of fluids athletes ingest during a race!
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.