General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sell me on trainerroad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-24 8:53 PM

User image

Subject: Sell me on trainerroad
Ok, I see a lot of people using this. It looks somewhat interesting but $100 for me to follow a graph (plus I'd need to get a laptop....) seems a bit boring. I made up some of my own workouts and follow some from training with a powermeter and then just watch Netflix on my tiny 7 inch tablet.. Does it actually give you a full plan or just random workouts you pick and chose. Thoughts? Worth $100/year for this? I do have a PM, so virtual power is a moot point.

2014-09-24 9:06 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Subject: RE: Sell me on trainerroad

It's great -has lots of plans so it's like a coach set to your FTP level.

If you want something free, Veloreality has a free download that allows you to easily train with either power or virtualpower provided you make your own workouts (it's super easy and obvious how to do it.)

2014-09-24 10:04 PM

User image

Pro

if you've never trained with power before, and you plan on spending a lot of hours on the trainer this winter... I'd say it's easily worth the investment.  As I recall, you don't need to commit to $100.  You can try it out for $10.  

I think it's a great experience to enter the world of power for a low low investment.  it's a well vetted tool at this point.  Enjoy your journey.

2014-09-25 2:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Try golden cheetah...it's free.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-25 2:13 AM
2014-09-25 7:39 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Memphis, TN
I like it. It has workouts ready to go for you based on your FTP and even has some training plans that are based on where you are in the season like base, build and some sport specific training plans like half distance tri, 40k time trial, MTB and even a century.

Riding on the trainer is painfully boring but I think this makes it better. I don't have a PM so I need the virtual power, which isn't perfect but it's a great alternative to just HR training, IMO.

I've had it a year and don't use it enough but I will with winter.

You can use Trainerroad on tablet as well I think. I know they are coming out with a iPad/iPhone app very soon. I think Windows Based Tablets work with it.

2014-09-25 9:08 AM

I've been using it for almost a month now. Best $10 I've spent on the activity so far. The workouts are great and the plans are extensive. Something for everyone. And staring at the little graph is what make sit beneficial for me. Since I watch netflix/hulu/etc I have it along the bottome and I can see what I'm doing with just a glance. It's hard to miss. What I had found was doing it traditional way I would slowly let the effort decline, look down at my cycle computer see this, and then pick it back up. Or to keep effort up and not let myself cheat I was constantly looking down at computer.

I also like that I don't have to think about the workout. I don't have to do calculations, etc. not that those were hard, this is just easier. They have a trial period. I would try it and if you don't like it not a big deal. Or do month to month for a few months and see rather than dropping a Benjamin.

2014-09-25 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
If you just want to watch videos, get Sufferfest vids. They're great. You can take it a step further and watch the sufferfest vids THROUGH TrainerRoad. That's what I'm doing. Just watching netflix shows for me, i'd be 30 minutes in and my HR would be nothing. Following the vids is more entertaining to me. Good luck
2014-09-25 9:47 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by Jason NTry golden cheetah...it's free.

This^^^ I've used and like both TR and GC. I do not have a power meter but do use virtual power. TR is a really good system and offers training plans/workouts. It's turnkey and easy to use. You can purchase month to month. It took me a bit more effort to learn how to use GC but that was due to my limited tech/computer skills. GC's straight forward once you get set up and offers more in terms of reports/data. And it's free. If you are following your own plan and/or like creating your own workouts, I'd definitely use GC.

2014-09-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Whats to sell

Its a great product very reasonably priced and when paired up with available training videos, gives the rider an excellent structured workout and offers the benefit of being able to track your progress.

One of the best additions to your training routine that you can add.
2014-09-25 10:35 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I do workouts on my trainer with a PM and usually watch SportsCenter on ESPN.  I can't watch movies or other shows while doing heavy intervals (pretty much all I use the trainer for)--too hard to focus.  I would not spend $ on TR, but I don't seem to need help from getting 'bored' on the trainer (don't use Sufferfest or other vids either) and can tell when I'm falling off the power without looking at a graph on a screen.  Creating workouts or a training plan is not that difficult for me.  So there is not enough value in it for me but, obviously, many others feel very differently and get great value from it.

2014-09-25 10:55 AM

When I look back on my first year using TR, these were the two biggest benefits for me:

1. Morning workouts. For me, it had always been a struggle to wake up, jump on the bike, and get in a quality workout. Given that much of my bike training is done in the AM, getting in quality sessions was a major goal for me. Quantity had never been an issue, but when left to my own, I wouldn't push the effort. With TR, I was able to have a session picked out and ready to go in the AM. Then all I had to do was hit the numbers.

2. Quality long rides. Prior to TR, I would jump on the bike, turn on NetFlix, and spin for a few hours. Using sessions such as Sufferfest ISLAGIATT, I think I added a lot of quality I wasn't getting before. And it was more enjoyable.

Going forward to my second year using TR, I'm really excited to look at the year over year numbers. All of the data is stored for you for each session you've done, so going back and looking at annual gains should be very easy to do.

A random thought, I pay monthly. My triathlon training is done by August, so no need to pay for TR for Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. I turned it off and they seem to be cool with that. All my data is stored, I can even go look at all of it whenever I want. Then it's just a matter of turning it back on in January.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sell me on trainerroad Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TrainerRoad work out group Pages: 1 2

Started by powerman
Views: 2821 Posts: 35

2012-03-28 6:15 AM Rudedog55

I love TrainerRoad!

Started by tenninstr
Views: 2769 Posts: 21

2012-02-18 2:12 PM TriPatrick

UPLOADING TRAINERROAD

Started by roytyson
Views: 1595 Posts: 7

2012-01-06 1:44 PM marmadaddy

TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 4220 Posts: 6

2011-11-19 1:53 PM npearson99

TrainerRoad Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by trigal38
Views: 31973 Posts: 305

2012-07-16 9:15 AM dodgersmom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.