General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for show run for dough? Winter focus? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-24 10:39 PM

Subject: Bike for show run for dough? Winter focus?

Hate to talk about winter coming.  Sorry everyone. For me, base season is back. 

I have lots of input of local athletes suggesting things to do for the offseason. 

Bike indoors/trainer came up every time, no surprise. Anyone working on the run? Workout ideas or should bike really be the heavyweight? 

2014-09-24 10:45 PM
in reply to: TreadandButter

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Bike for show run for dough? Winter focus?

Any reason why you aren't swimming more?  Just curious.

2014-09-24 11:18 PM

User image

here in phx i cant wait for winter to make a showing
2014-09-25 5:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

I'm feeling pretty good in the water. The local master's group has really helped with that, and the coach gives me helpful tips too. Thanks for asking! (of course improvements can be made anywhere

2014-09-25 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Work more on your limiters, not your strengths. Improve overall fitness with things like circuit training. Do something new to avoid burnout. Enjoy the holidays but mot too much. Don't get lazy and dig a hole you need to fill in come spring.

That's my winter plan. Of course it is not yet winter. I still have IMAZ in November.

2014-09-25 11:52 AM

User image

I run outside year round, but it rarely gets below 0F here (I do have special shoes for running in snow and slush). For the last two years, I have been using the winter to swim 3x/ week. I also do that strength training that I always say I am going to do, but can't bring myself to do when the weather is nice. I do use the trainer or ride outside when I can.

2014-09-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Core strength training for me.. I don't mind running in the cold either..
2014-09-25 5:16 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Whatever you do decide to do over the off season; think about making it FUN.

We did not get into this sport (At least I did not) to be monks living in our basements training at all hours of the darkness of winter to emerge like Punxsutawney Phil out of our burrows in spring to start tearing up the race circuit.

If the weather is such that biking/swimming is not an option, XC Skiing, Snow Shoeing and running/hiking are great alternatives to maintaining a good base. Sure trainer rides, pool swims and treadmill runs, indoor track workouts are going to be part of the plan, but not the ONLY think keeping you in shape.

2014-09-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: The Dude14

What's your go-to for core strength? I'm always looking for more input on this too.

For me, full body movement and balance is key. Hanging leg raises and planks are the current focus. 

2014-09-26 7:53 AM
in reply to: WaterDog66

Great reminder! 

2014-09-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

My winter focus is SLOPE TIME!! SHRED THE GNAR GNAR!! That being said, this is going to be my first winter of training and I've definitely already started to plan my goals...

1. Total Body Fitness - TRX classes, Core strength, Cardio strength Classes... At least 1 per week.
2. SWIMMING - A minimum of 2x per week, hopefully 3 or 4, especially once February rolls around
3. Cross-Country Skiing. Did you know that Cross Country skiers have the HIGHEST VO2 MAX!! Altitude + Exertion = GAINS
4. Indoor/outdoor running - The dogs still like to run.
5. Bike - Weather dependent... Spin Class 1 or 2 times a week.

2014-09-26 1:33 PM

First and foremost, you have to make your off-season fun. If you keep your winters as intense as your summers you'll end up hating the sport.

As for bike vs. run goes... I say put your main focus on the run. I watched a really great live video chat with Bobby McGee, Gwen Jorgensen and Kevin Collington about how the run transformed their races. They were talking about how triathlon has become a sport dominated by runners. Bobby gave some really great tips about how to become a better runner. I even used some of them during my run yesterday and already noticed a difference. I felt more efficient. Here is the link to the video: http://goo.gl/25boE0

Of course, you should always keep up with the swim and bike but it is easier to lose your run fitness than anything else. Go out, have some fun, enjoy the trails and look forward to a great next season!

Hope this helps!
2014-09-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

I also just found this video too! It is perfect because it is discussing off-season training and how to best prepare for the summer! This is more bike focused but it hits on some great topics.

Here is the link: http://goo.gl/SeYxW0

Have fun!

Edited by max-bennett 2014-09-26 1:46 PM
2014-09-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: max-bennett

Thanks!

I watched the link, Bobby made the point also of distance, training between sprint/olympic and longer. The run is more important in the shorter distances, especially with paces under 7min/mile, to train the neuromuscular system and power. But even in iron-distance, the age-grouper is on the run course longer than the bike.

So, probably run focus for me this winter…. first….Mechanics! I'm liking the transcript of the interview. From bobby- 

"So I look for connection, in other words a balance between the chest, if you consider the chest and upside down bucket on top of the pelvis as a bucket, that should be as little tilted forward or backwards, you don’t want to be bending forward at the hips, that will create over rotation. You don’t want to be bending forward so much that your feet coming from behind you and if you’re running on gravel, you will kick stones forward, you want your foot coming straight down but if you stop applying power you would continue going forward. It’s very simple analogy to look at somebody doing acceleration or stride or a run through that when they want to slow down, what they do is they lift their shoulders up to slow down, that’s not what you want to be doing when you’re running along in a constant pace. Lastly the faster you run, the more of these so called forward lean you are able to sustain the centrifugal force and so when you’re running a lot slower, you’ll obviously be a lot more upright"

Maybe I should get my run video recorded….  Yikes! 

2014-09-27 6:59 AM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

#3 is pretty convincing to try this winter...

Good strategy. Sounds awesome! 

2014-09-27 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TreadandButter

What's your go-to for core strength? I'm always looking for more input on this too.

For me, full body movement and balance is key. Hanging leg raises and planks are the current focus. 

This is my go to core workout http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486, I also add in up to 8 different pushup related exercises.

I'm in warm weather state and winter is a my time to enjoy bike & run training without sweating to near death!

X

2014-09-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by S_Franklin99
3. Cross-Country Skiing. Did you know that Cross Country skiers have the HIGHEST VO2 MAX!! Altitude + Exertion = GAINS

Originally posted by TreadandButter
#3 is pretty convincing to try this winter...

Good strategy. Sounds awesome! 

There is a local guy named Pierre Lavoie. He won his AG in Kona and wins his AG in many/most IMs. He came 2nd at 70.3 worlds two weeks ago

He is a bit of a star in Quebec because he is dedicated to raising awareness of physical activity and his target audience is kids !!! The man is brilliant

Anyways, here's a blog entry of his (in French but you can use Google Translate)
https://www.legdpl.com/le-blogue-de-pierre/lentrainement-dhiver-debu...

In the winter he switches to Cross Country skiing. Rides the trainer 3x, runs 2x, no swim, lots and lots of cross country skiing. He has often talked about the role of X Country skiing in his overall fitness.

FYI, this guy used to be a couch potato, overweight, smoker. He also lost 2 children to a rare disease. He turned his life around and focused on awareness of health. There probably isn't a school kid in Quebec that doesn't know who Pierre Lavoie is.

Edited by marcag 2014-09-27 9:09 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for show run for dough? Winter focus? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike/Swim Focus Winter Plan while injured

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 439 Posts: 1

2011-11-22 7:15 AM MRDAVIDALEXANDER

winter maintenance bike focused

Started by trigal38
Views: 680 Posts: 6

2010-11-24 9:20 PM trigal38

Sidelined from Run/Bike - Focus on Swimming

Started by trimore
Views: 880 Posts: 10

2008-11-03 1:41 PM supa-powa

Run Focused Winter Tri Training?

Started by boneyBP
Views: 1393 Posts: 13

2008-09-25 4:23 PM kenj

Bike for Show...Run for Dough!

Started by nuorder
Views: 2876 Posts: 23

2006-08-30 6:37 AM nuorder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : November 23, 2010
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.