General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phone calls while riding? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-25 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Phone calls while riding?
This is not a question about listening to music!

I was wondering if anyone has a bluetooth headset for their phone that actually enables them to take phone calls while cycling? Most of the time the ambient noise of the wind will drown out the caller's voice and most likely overpower my voice to the other person.
I haven't used a bluetooth headset for many years now. Every once in a while I get a call while my phone is on the handlebars running strava and I have put it on speaker, but it wasn't very effective.

I know there are many headsets designed for noisy environments.

I'm wondering if anyone has found one that actually makes phone calls work well when they are moving down the road at 20mph?

Thanks.

2014-09-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Phone calls while riding?

Even though it's illegal to ride with headphones in Florida, there's a loophole in the law that allows you to wear one earbud if it's connected to a phone. 

I've known a couple of guys who have tried it that way, but they still had similar problems hearing and being heard, so they normally just pull over to stop if they get a call.  Always thought it was a bit funny (& dangerous) seeing someone shouting into their phone while trying to ride with one hand.

I don't get many calls when I'm riding.  I just set my phone on vibrate and carry it in the center pocket of my bike jersey where I can feel it.  Sometimes I'll stop and answer, but most of the time just wait until I get home to check messages.

Mark

2014-09-25 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
My personal view is when someone is training, he needs to concentrate on what they are doing without distractions. One needs to feel the bike surge, ground, the feet strike the ground, and the glide through the water. You are training your brain for the most efficient muscle firing patterns. Multitasking will weaken the feedback of this process, resulting in bad technique. Take the phone for an emergency call you may need to make, or use a GPS app. NEVER answer any calls during your workout.
2014-09-26 5:14 PM

User image

New user
On my way back to work after lunch one day this week, on the narrow section of the road, there was a guy riding a road bike, in the middle of the lane, riding with no hands, while talking on the phone, and traffic backed up behind him..completely oblivious...
2014-10-04 11:36 AM
in reply to: #5053896

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-08 3:05 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Originally posted by brickbd Life doesn't wait for your workout to end. I'm listening to music in the water, in the bike and on a run with Bluetooth headphones. Answering. Phone call won't keep me from hiting goals. Besides, last time I checked less than 1% of professional triathletes made seven figures last year. Less than 1% of BT athletes will ever become pros. A phone call won't prevent that. Answer away!!!

Personally one of the things I love about triathlon training is getting away from it all.  Everyone knows my phone rule; ‘it’s for my convenience, not yours’ – I’ll take the call when I want to.  I have a different ring tone for the wife and children and if that rings, they know I’m out training, so I can assume it’s an emergency.  Other than that, it can wait.

I sometimes like chatting to my brother or parents while I’m running and that’s worked out fine.  Most of the time they don’t even know that’s what I’m doing.  But work can do one.  I realise we’re not all lucky enough to be able to do that but for me being able to is important.

2014-10-13 4:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have a phone with me when I ride, in my seat bag. I am lucky if I even hear it. I think in all of this year it rang once on a ride. A telemarketer using an autodial program.

It is a dedicated cycling phone, cheap with a very cheap calling plan. I probably have used 20 minutes total all of 2014, maybe not that much. Only my family and riding buddies have the phone number. If it's work related they call my regular phone and I will return the call later.

For me, no thanks. Not interested in talking and riding at the same time. Short of a family emergency it can wait.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phone calls while riding? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

wireless head/ear phones for ipod??

Started by Spanner
Views: 1334 Posts: 4

2011-01-13 10:19 PM Spanner

Head phones

Started by monroeduck
Views: 956 Posts: 12

2008-01-09 1:40 PM Big Sexy

A sport bra...that holds your cell phone!

Started by Miko
Views: 1757 Posts: 8

2007-06-07 12:28 AM Miss_Bethy

Cell phone service w/ mileage tracker!

Started by marcusgrimm
Views: 735 Posts: 2

2006-11-05 10:11 PM TH3_FRB

GPS Phone

Started by thozf
Views: 507 Posts: 1

2006-07-07 11:46 AM thozf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
I read an article that this type of pain comes from straining the neck, especially from riding a road bike. What can you tell me about this type of injury?