Other Resources The Political Joe » "The Barbarians Within Our Gates" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-25 10:18 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: "The Barbarians Within Our Gates"

I found this to be an excellent read regarding the collapse of the Arab state: 

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/09/the-barbarians-within-our-gates-111116.html?hp=r4#.VCQvBvldV-6

I make particular note that the United States involvement in the region has not be particularly helpful over the past several decades, but cannot be seen as a root cause of the problems either.  It's pretty easy to predict that the current bombings in Syria and Iraq will have unintended consequences well into the future.  Whether it is a civil war within a country (Syria/Libya), conflicts between Sunni and Shia, or broader tensions between the Arab nationalists and Islamic fundamentalists, intervention by Western nations cannot fix the problem.   

2014-09-25 10:30 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: "The Barbarians Within Our Gates"

Originally posted by Hook'em

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/09/the-barbarians-within-our-gates-111116.html?hp=r4#.VCQvBvldV-6

I make particular note that the United States involvement in the region has not be particularly helpful over the past several decades, but cannot be seen as a root cause of the problems either.  It's pretty easy to predict that the current bombings in Syria and Iraq will have unintended consequences well into the future.  Whether it is a civil war within a country (Syria/Libya), conflicts between Sunni and Shia, or broader tensions between the Arab nationalists and Islamic fundamentalists, intervention by Western nations cannot fix the problem.   

How does that matter when they attack you as in 9/11?  We could fix the problem......but nobody has the stomach for killing that many people.

2014-09-25 10:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

How does that matter when they attack you as in 9/11?  We could fix the problem......but nobody has the stomach for killing that many people.

Doesn't matter one bit.  I have no issue with US force to protect and defend our people and national security interests or punish those who have brought harm against us.  My point was that choosing sides or trying to bring Western democracy to the region will just lead to a shift from one problem to another.

2014-09-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Doesn't matter one bit.  I have no issue with US force to protect and defend our people and national security interests or punish those who have brought harm against us.  My point was that choosing sides or trying to bring Western democracy to the region will just lead to a shift from one problem to another.

Yeah, I figured as much.  The answer will likely be A LOT of dead people.

2014-09-25 12:47 PM

User image

I'm not sure why but it seems the lessons of history have been lost in the last 70 years. The two countries that we inflicted the most damage, casualties and loss of human life are now our very good friends. 

IMO, we should not go into a war unless we are prepared to take similar actions as to what we did to end WWII.

2014-09-25 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crusevegas

I'm not sure why but it seems the lessons of history have been lost in the last 70 years. The two countries that we inflicted the most damage, casualties and loss of human life are now our very good friends. 

IMO, we should not go into a war unless we are prepared to take similar actions as to what we did to end WWII.

I was trying to figure out a nice way to say what you just said, thanks......I think you have it right.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-25 12:51 PM

2014-09-26 6:49 PM

User image

I read this article a few days ago. The Barbarism that has arisen in the middle east will not be quelled. The rest of the world needs to back off, let them have at each other and focus on preventing the spread of extremism to Europe where the Muslim population is rapidly growing.

Unfortunately there is oil involved...
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » "The Barbarians Within Our Gates" Rss Feed