General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLP - Lodging Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-26 8:39 AM

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Subject: IMLP - Lodging Issues
So, I got into Ironman Lake Placid a couple months ago and after searching for places to stay I'm kind of wondering if this location is even suitable for a race of this size. The race is 10 months out as of today. All the hotels are sold out, including those in nearby Saranac Lake. So I started looking for house rentals. The rental managers all know there aren't enough rooms to sleep the amount of visitors for the event so they have all jacked their prices up to almost double and are demanding 7 night minimum stays for a 4-day event. Some are even demanding Sat-Sat stays. How does that work for someone that needs to be there Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun? They are trying to get you to sign up for 2-wks. Anyway, I think I've finally found a place at a fair rate and just for the nights I need it, but it is 30 minutes outside of Lake Placid.

I've completed two Ironman triathlons (Louisville and St. George) and had no problems booking for either event. Anyone who doesn't have a place for IMLP a year in advance is going to be scrambling to find a place to stay. And forget about family trying to get there unless they can commit at least a year in advance as well. I got family that want to go and probably would go, but can't commit this far out.

This is probably old news to anyone who has done IMLP, but I needed to vent after an extensive weeklong search for lodging. They need to state when you are registering for this event that you better book your hotel at the same time or you aren't getting a room.

2014-09-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: JRF1980

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: IMLP - Lodging Issues

Housing is always a daunting issue to overcome to do LP.

I can drive to LP but it can cost more than a fly to IM due to the extra cost of housing compared to other venues.  Nothing like paying $200+ a night for a room that in 1950 was looking fresh but now is very tired.

Calling the realtors who find rentals is expensive and for me unrewarding.

You can find rooms the last 2 weeks before the race with cancellations and also at the time when folks have to cancel to get refund or transfer from the race. As an athlete having that hanging over your head is challenging to take the wait and see approach.

Yep the process sucks but it is a great venue.

2014-09-26 12:48 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yup, it's a small town in a region of small towns.  Normal LP population is around 3000, Saranac Lake is around 5000.  Not all house renters are schiesters - we've been renting the same house at a reasonable price for the past 5 years.  I'd encourage you to keep looking for a house rental (maybe use a different search site? we used www dot vrbo dot com), and the more people you can comfortably put in it, the lower the cost will be per person, obviously.  Good luck to you, it's a 'historic' race in a gorgeous place.

2014-09-26 7:46 PM

Check with the state park for cabin rentals. Could be cheap. Camping is another option. Good Luck.
2014-09-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by ImSore 2014-09-26 10:06 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMLP - Lodging Issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lodging at Musselman

Started by rstocks3
Views: 494 Posts: 1

2008-03-10 8:35 PM rstocks3

MCM Lodging

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1119 Posts: 5

2007-07-26 12:34 PM rollinbones

Wetsuit issues v. temp issues

Started by blondnik
Views: 1430 Posts: 11

2007-05-14 11:43 PM Joe M

timberman lodging

Started by triwor
Views: 1022 Posts: 8

2006-11-21 9:43 AM rollinbones

MCM Lodging Booked (and free!)

Started by rollinbones
Views: 603 Posts: 3

2006-06-21 3:01 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Fast forward to now after many triathlons and marathons, my back is worse than ever. What helps lumbar back issues? Shots, physical therapy, surgery?

date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?
date : November 12, 2008
comments : 0
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : June 16, 2008
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : January 16, 2007
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.
date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.