Madison, Wisconsin
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 12h 16m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

wake up, eat granola bar and banana, grab gear and bottle of gatorade and bottle of water and drive over to venue
Event warmup:

walking to drop of kids at the pool, drop off special needs bike bag, special needs run bag, put bottles on bike, check tires, find friends, drink one 5 hour energy, put on wetsuit head to water, get in and swim to chosen starting spot just as cannon fired!
Swim
  • 1h 27m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

started just to the right of the ramp and angled to first turn buouy. worked great. was physical out there. back stretch was literally right on the buouy line as one time i hit the buouy and another actually had to swim under it. took final turn with a group and got pushed out way right and just for some reason couldnt get back in.
What would you do differently?:

dunno. thought i did ok. wouldve like about 7-10 mins faster but oh well
Transition 1
  • 07m 33s
Comments:

lots of people in there so no assistance from volunteers, found an open chair tho so that was good. ate a granola bar and downed some gatorade and some salt tabs. helmet on, shoes on, glasses on and out i went.

nadda
Bike
  • 6h 16m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

plan was to stay in teh 18-19 mph range when on flats and then on the downhills just stop pedaling once i hit 23 MPH and not begin again until i was down in the 19 MPH range again. for the uphills plan was just to keep a high cadence and not over push it. nutrition was sips of water and gatorade every 10 mins and after every hill. also had half of a meal bar every two hours and salt tabs every 90 mins. Special needs was PACKED so blew past that and just refilled my water at the water only aid station and then refilled the gatorade with the perform at the mt. horeb aid station. Also had another 5 hr energy somewhere on the second loop.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 06m 37s
Comments:

into the room i go and once again volunteers are all taken, no biggie at all tho as off comes the helmet and glasses, on goes the hat and socks and shoes and race belt and away i go (after downing some gatorade and water)
Run
  • 4h 18m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

tale of two loops. came out of T2 ok but that only lasted until inbetween camp randall and the big hill. for some reason i had basically stopped sweating and could feel the pace slowing down, adjusted some and just kept moving and was still feeling ok but still not sweating. as i came back past the kohl center aid station i realized i had to go to the bathroom, tried but couldnt. kept on moving and once i got onto the capitol square was finally able to relieve the tension! did the turn around, stopped at special needs and downed a redbull and two salt tabs and within about 5 mins felt much better and was able to push a comfy pace the rest of the way.

salt tabs in T2, not sure why i didn't have any in there................
Post race
Warm down:

get thru chute and get all the stuff, grab a plate of food, find family for some chit chat and some fun. then once they left back out on the square to cheer in friends and all the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nadda. can't complain with a near 5 min PR.

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:27:56 | 4224 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:16:26 | 112 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:18:20 | 26.2 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-09-26 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2014-09-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #5054290

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

Nice PR mister on that beast!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin (Steve-) Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve-
Views: 8754 Posts: 35

2005-10-02 7:47 AM jsargevt

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by aluminum1
Views: 4937 Posts: 23

2005-09-20 12:40 PM cpjohnson

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by weds19
Views: 2397 Posts: 21

2005-09-15 10:54 AM Writebrained

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by hdhtri
Views: 6894 Posts: 28

2005-09-21 11:16 AM mullinsm

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by moondance
Views: 3896 Posts: 31

2005-09-19 12:18 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.