General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm in need of advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-26 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Subject: I'm in need of advice!!
I'm registered for the Outer Banks Marathon. It happens in 44 days. Since May, I've been focused on this marathon, which will be my first.

I'm at the point in my training regimen where I'm doing 17+ miles on my long days. I feel like I'm progressing nicely. I'll admit that I do walk, and I certainly won't run the entire 26.2 miles, but I'm consistently turning sub-11min mile times, even with walking mixed in, and have been running over 80% of my long runs.
I have managed to reduce my half-mary time by 12 minutes, which shows I am certainly getting stronger.

This week, at work, I found out that my expertise and work ethic have turned against me. I've been assigned a spot doing some steam plant testing on a new Virginia Class Submarine. This position requires 10 to 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, for at least 2 weeks. For me, any work day is automatically 2 hours longer, as I live an hour away from work.
I'm certain that, given the nature of the work I'll be doing, and driving for 2 hours per day, I'm not going to have the time or energy to fit in 3 hour runs. I'm going to find it taxing enough to get in my usual 6 to 9 milers during the week.

Any pointers on how I can keep my present fitness level up without 3 hour long runs? Is my value at work sabotaging my marathon training?

2014-09-26 7:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: I'm in need of advice!!
These are my thoughts:

1) Given your current long run, you can get by without a long run for two weeks. Switch to a few shorter, more intense runs if your workouts are going to be limited. It also sounds like your work will have you on your feet quite a bit, which means you'll still be getting some experience with endurance.
2) On the days that you decide to run, take your running gear to work and get your running in after your shift and before your commute back home. In fact, take the stuff everyday as you never know when an opportunity to get a quick run in might present itself.
3) Don't sweat it too much. Most of us amateurs tend to do way more volume training than we really need to do. You've done the majority of the work already and while your lead up isn't ideal, it's far from a disaster.

Best of luck, let us know how it pans out!

Edited by tedjohn 2014-09-26 7:36 PM
2014-09-26 7:50 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Oh, believe me, I'm going to be taking my gear in with me. It's going to be a radical change running on city streets (meaning sidewalks) versus my usual country roads. Maybe I'll find a park with some good trails to run near work.

And you're absolutely correct. I'll be on my feet and flitting hither and to all over the sub. Up and down ladders, climbing over piping, squeezing past other people. It's going to feel like training for an obstacle course race, without having to lug around any weighted objects... that I know about, anyway.

Thanks for the advice!
2014-09-26 10:58 PM
in reply to: SpeedKnight

User image

You definitely don't need a 3-hour run every week, so you'll be fine for two weeks with lower volume. Because your 2-week assignment will be pretty intense, I would just advise doing whatever running you can but don't stress over it or worry about a schedule. Just ramp back up the week you get back. You won't lose that fitness in two weeks.
2014-09-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Thanks!

I'm not sure why I'm really sweating it.

I'm just gonna chill. I'll do my job the best way I can, take away whatever physical benefits I get from doing it, and get in some runs whenever I'm not feeling beat up. The last thing I want to do is force a run and jeopardize the race.
2014-09-29 1:41 PM

User image

Don't sweat it too much, it sounds like you base is already there. Run when you can just to keep things moving. Don't try to throw volume on the added stress of the extra shifts.

Best of luck. I hope you get the wind in the right direction this year. That race can be brutal with a strong SW wind.

2014-09-29 1:58 PM

Frequency is just as importance as distance. As long as your still getting in runs, you shouldn't have any troubles. If you're following a schedule that has recovery weeks, perhaps you can have one of the week's your tied up be a recovery week?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm in need of advice!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help / Advice Cause I'm RPE 4 Confused

Started by DV 1
Views: 536 Posts: 1

2011-04-18 6:51 PM DV 1

I'm painfully slow on the bike - advice please!

Started by gofishtlp
Views: 957 Posts: 7

2010-05-26 2:22 PM KSH

I'm converting clipless. Need feedback/advice pls

Started by Drewhistle
Views: 898 Posts: 4

2008-09-28 8:26 PM cndce

Need HR help... I'm lost

Started by twolives1
Views: 628 Posts: 3

2007-02-18 10:18 AM Carl Carlson

Thanks for the "I'm Fat" advice

Started by Dukey
Views: 1014 Posts: 2

2003-12-30 3:30 PM 45tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2014
author : sahm3k
comments : 4
As I entered the transition area, I got body marked. It was, for me, pretty intense. It made it so real...I was doing this! A triathlon!

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.