General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run on Friday? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-26 9:09 PM

User image

Subject: Long run on Friday?
I'm thinking about my training plan for next year. I toyed with the idea of doing my long run on Friday (assuming I could get off work early on that day), but I'm wondering if I did that, what would I do Saturday if I had my long bike on Sunday? I could take the day off but having a weekend day off of training seems like a little bit of a waste since it's a day with the most free time. Another thing that gets me is that it would need to be an easy workout(Z2). I'd then take Monday "off" (weight train like I normally do). Here's a little mini schedule I thought of:

M: Weights
T: Run Speed work(hard). Maybe swim + run (hard) if I have to work late and miss tri club's workout session
W: Swim (swim lesson...can't change day/time) + ??? <-- Bike or run here? Sometimes I did all three but made for a late night. Unknown if easy or hard workout.
T: Swim + Bike (hard)
F: Long Run + Z1 bike afterwards
Sat: Swim + Z2 Bike or Bike+Run brick (Z2) <--- little undecided here too. Master's swim started on Saturdays and I may join up.
Sun: Long bike + brick run

I keep hearing that two long days back to back is a bad thing, so I think I may want to try a few weeks where I switch it up to see how it goes for me. Thoughts? Any schedule suggestions?

Edited by Blastman 2014-09-26 9:28 PM

2014-09-27 5:54 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Long run on Friday?
Way too many hard workouts in there - you don't want hard workouts every day but rather alternate hard and easy days. The main reason to separate long rides and runs is that for IM, those are both going to be key workouts in the week and both are going to harder workouts due to the length.

Right now you're looking at a hard workout on Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Also, I would sat that for anyone with some experience, unless they are for time savings, you have too many bricks in there as well.

Shane
2014-09-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Way too many hard workouts in there - you don't want hard workouts every day but rather alternate hard and easy days. The main reason to separate long rides and runs is that for IM, those are both going to be key workouts in the week and both are going to harder workouts due to the length.

Right now you're looking at a hard workout on Monday, Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Also, I would sat that for anyone with some experience, unless they are for time savings, you have too many bricks in there as well.

Shane

Monday - I tend to do upper and lower body weights (and core). I'm there for less than an hour. I consider this my off day and it's mainly to help keep my muscles going to help with cramps. I don't consider this a hard day. Weds would be my easy day as well. Although I may be 2-3 things that day, they will all be easy, except for the swim.

As for the bricks....that's just the way I train. I try to have at least 3 swims and 3-4 runs and bikes a week. Although I'm not the fastest guy, I do recover pretty quickly, except at the end where I'm nearing 20 hours/week and the fatigue has added up before my taper. I should also note this is for an IM plan and thus I'm expecting to put in lots of hours again.
2014-09-27 2:57 PM

User image

Since you have done IM before, you know what your body can handle.

So I'm not really sure what the question is-- are you wondering if the plan works, or specifically about the Friday long run? There's nothing inherently wrong with a Friday long run and it looks like it's well positioned in your week, so the question really is, how is this different from how you've trained before?
2014-09-27 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Blastman

Monday - I tend to do upper and lower body weights (and core). I'm there for less than an hour. I consider this my off day and it's mainly to help keep my muscles going to help with cramps. I don't consider this a hard day. Weds would be my easy day as well. Although I may be 2-3 things that day, they will all be easy, except for the swim.

As for the bricks....that's just the way I train. I try to have at least 3 swims and 3-4 runs and bikes a week. Although I'm not the fastest guy, I do recover pretty quickly, except at the end where I'm nearing 20 hours/week and the fatigue has added up before my taper. I should also note this is for an IM plan and thus I'm expecting to put in lots of hours again.

Assuming the weights are easy and Wednesday isn't actually a possibly hard day as you had stated, things look at bit better.

Is it possible to move the long run to Thursday? Then you would have Tuesday as a harder day, Wednesday easy, Thursday hard with the long run, Friday easy and the weekend to ride hard one day and long the other with Monday to recover (again, assuming weights are actually easy). This also gives a bit more freedom with the long ride if the weather is supposed to be poor on Sunday and you want to get out on Saturday. Plus, that gives you the chance on the other day to have a solid ride with (presumably) the extra time you have on the weekend.

As to bricks, two a days are great but you will see better results in almost every case if you can separate the two workouts.

Shane
2014-09-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Thanks for advice. You and I was thinking a lot of like. I originally planned to do Thursday but ultimately I knew I wouldn't be able to get off work in time to get 90-180 minute runs in before sun down (more so during winter/spring months). I've done 90 minutes on the treadmill before but that is my limit... My work is pretty open to where, normally, if I work extra hours in the week, I can get off a little early on Friday and thus I thought about switching it up next year.

I'd love to separate the workouts more for the bricks but I can't see spending an extra hour to head to the gym in the morning, unless I can get my butt out of bed at 4am and join a master's swim class. When I swim I run about 20-25 minutes afterwards (lake close by) and bike about 30 minutes later (at home on trainer). That at least gives me some sort of break.

I'm thinking this schedule may work. I still need to finalize Wednesday and Saturday but it's something I can play with next month to test it out before my "real" training starts and test it out. I know my long bike workout this year were pretty poor after a long run day. Good to get used to the fatigue but I had issues just staying in upper Z2 after 3-4 hours sometimes and I always wondered if it was better to get in a harder workout or to get used to biking/running on tired legs.

2014-09-27 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Why before sundown? I understand if you need to get to bed early but if you don't like the dark I cant help there. I ran up to 2 hours on Friday nights sometimes finishing after midnight in winter conditions. It was uber quiet on the pathways and the cold air was refreshing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run on Friday? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

running: more short runs or less long runs?

Started by zionvier
Views: 7621 Posts: 13

2009-09-18 8:03 PM monkeyboy64

Who's Running Friday - National Run @ Work Day

Started by jcjsc00
Views: 546 Posts: 12

2006-09-21 12:27 PM desertsix

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1631 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine

How much longer is a long run?

Started by Schlag611
Views: 1085 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 7:41 PM webguy

LONG BIKE / LONG RUN

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 1412 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 5:54 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.