General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good All-Around Tri Bike Wheels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-27 8:49 AM

Subject: Good All-Around Tri Bike Wheels
I have a "new/used" tri bike that did not come with wheels so now i have the option to pick my own out for the first time. Bike is a Specialized Shiv Expert. I would like to get something upgraded from regular stock wheels, but not get something so fancy i have to swap them out on race day. Looking for a good all-round wheel that i can train and race in, that won't break the bank. For reference, I am a MOP age-grouper, 140 lbs max, who lives in New England so lots of hills and pot-holes. Any input/advice is much appreciated!

2014-09-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Good All-Around Tri Bike Wheels
There are certainly people who train on their carbon "race" wheels. I think the big factor in determining whether or not you want to do that is the type of roads you're training on. If there's lots of bumps/potholes etc. that you're liable to hit, I think that would steer you away from using your nice carbons for training - you could end up cracking the carbon and then you've got to replace an expensive wheel. Training on alloy wheels is like an insurance policy - yes you are spending more to have a second set of wheels, but it protects you from having to replace a carbon one, so in the long run may be more economical anyways.

If your training roads are smooth though, then you could chance it on some carbon ones (like Flo). Or split the difference and get alloy aero wheels (American Classic 420 for example) which oughtta be more durable than carbon, but won't break the bank if you have to replace them. Throw a disc cover on the back and you're pretty aero.

Edited by SenatorClayDavis 2014-09-27 12:12 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good All-Around Tri Bike Wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recs for custom road bike builder (build around 650c wheels)

Started by shellabree
Views: 2291 Posts: 5

2010-08-02 8:11 PM Liquidsilver

tri bike vs. tt wheels

Started by rewoodho
Views: 1191 Posts: 6

2008-09-05 7:02 AM dalessit

Why did older tri bikes use 650 wheels?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 1397 Posts: 12

2008-08-28 8:16 AM sty

Good crank for around $200

Started by tri freak
Views: 939 Posts: 8

2008-05-14 12:16 PM run4yrlif

Tri Bike vs Road Bike, which is better?

Started by LonghornBuckeye
Views: 1041 Posts: 5

2008-03-13 11:35 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : August 7, 2009
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.