General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » collegiate runner to triathlete! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-27 10:48 PM

User image

Subject: collegiate runner to triathlete!
hey there!

I am currently a collegiate distance runner at a D1 school and in my last year. I am looking to implement more tri training into my regimen so I can slowly transition post collegiately!

any advice for a long distance runner? or just beginner advice in general? I have tons of bike and running experience but swimming is fairly limited!

2014-09-28 12:21 AM
in reply to: laura_o

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: collegiate runner to triathlete!
Hi Laura,

Also a former D1 runner though that was a long, long time ago (like two decades!). Assuming you're a distance runner, you'll have a great base for tri already and if you're a strong biker, even better. I'd start by looking into getting some guidance on the swim--maybe getting some lessons and/or joining a master's group that takes less experienced swimmers. Some coaches work with swimmers on form during the workout; in other cases, sometimes you can pay the coach for extra one on one or small group sessions to work on your technique. Swimming's heavily technique dependent and many beginners have issues with confidence ( it's not just swimming but long distance and in open water with the possibility of physical contact). It's definitely worth the investment of time and money to work on the swim--while it's hard ro win a tri on the swim, a bad swm can easily ruin your race. Don't worry if you have that typical distance runner's physique--swimming's heavily dependent on technique and conditioning, and for the distances swum in tri, you don't have to be "built" like a swimmer to do well.

In my case I came to tri from a run and swim background so my big struggle has been the bike, I simply haven't found that my run fitness really translated to being even mediocre on the bike. While I'm generally in the top 3-6 on the swim and run in all my races (and that at age 45), I've had to work hard just to crack the top 20-25% for women on the bike. So count yourself lucky if you have a strong bike background. For the longer distance races in particular, a lot of tri is actually about the bike. You can have a great run and swim, but unless you have a solid bike it's difficult to get on the podium.

Enjoy the transition. I personally find tri to be a lot more fun than pure running--easier on the body and there are so many people and events you will be exposed to as you develop in the three different sports.

Karen
2014-09-29 7:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

If you're a collegiate runner, then you'll have a great setup to build off of! Even better with the bike experience. With that background, there is a wide range of how you could take this, as in how competitive you might want to be. I would get in contact with the school coaches to see what they know. Cross country/track coaches may have dealt with this before and may be able to refer to someone locally. Even though you didn't swim, the same goes for the swim coaches as that's another area triathletes can come from. They might even help themselves too. Especially in here will be how competitive you want to try being with this. As in just getting through a few races by swimming a few times a week or really jumping in and going after it and learning how to really move in the water.

2014-10-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks so much for the input. I feel my swim technique needs to be monitored. Once I get more time to dedicate to swim, I feel I will work on my technique and have someone watch me. For now, I think I will try and use swimming more as cross training with running so I can build a familiarity in the water. I primarily use the bike and elliptical to cross train so I think I should firstly get used to at least swimming more than I do now!

I am excited to start to think about this transition. I LOVE running but I am ready for a new physical challenge. It definitely is nice to hear from some like yourself who made the transition and are clearly having great success! Good luck in your endeavors and thanks again for the advice!
2014-10-10 10:52 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Swimming is also GREAT as recovery after a long/hard run. I swim a lot more than most triathletes--not just because it's convenient since I'm literally a minute's walk from a free pool at my workplace, but it's "free" cardio without any impact, and my legs always feel better after a swim. Even in college when I was training for Olympic Trials (marathon) I swam 2 X a week for the recovery benefits.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » collegiate runner to triathlete! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmer...cyclist...runner...triathlete?

Started by karch
Views: 734 Posts: 2

2010-08-25 11:12 AM Tynan19

Ultra runner to newbie triathlete

Started by otcrunner
Views: 810 Posts: 2

2010-08-19 9:18 PM dogteacher

long time runner, first time triathlete (come this sunday) in Chicago S.burbs

Started by dogteacher
Views: 1034 Posts: 6

2010-08-16 3:05 PM tbcoffee

runner turned triathlete?

Started by smartstrongsexy
Views: 904 Posts: 4

2010-04-06 4:04 PM PennState

From Runner to Triathlete

Started by lvmijp
Views: 766 Posts: 5

2009-04-14 12:19 AM lvmijp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.

date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
date : December 27, 2010
author : mikericci
comments : 0
My question is how do I train for the second Ironman race and continue to improve without "peaking" way too early, becoming stagnant or any of the other training bad words?

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
"What are the current ideas on supplements for the triathlete?" This article will give you some real food options for many of the important nutrients.

date : July 9, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Trixie speaks of how she made her way into endurance sports and also gives some interesting insight on common runner's mistakes.