General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's running 6 days a week while training for 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-28 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: Who's running 6 days a week while training for 70.3?
So who's running 6 days a week while training for a long course event? It's been a scheduling nightmare for me to try and fit this in. I just finished my last race of the year and I'm looking at changing things up for next years plan. The reason I'm looking at changing things up for next year is I was riddled with injuries all summer. The main 2 changes I'm looking at implementing is going from 5 days of running to 6 and separating my long run and long bike days which have normally been back to back days. After a few tries this is the schedule that seems to look the best. Any thoughts?

Monday - am short run pm swim
Tuesday - am medium run pm swim
Wednesday - am short run pm Interval bike
Thursday - am long run
Friday - swim
Saturday - am Z2 bike pm medium run
Sunday - am short run pm Long bike

2014-09-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Who's running 6 days a week while training for 70.3?
if you were plague with injury, why do you want to run 6 times a week?

what injury exactly?

double run day instead of a long run...that could help you greatly get back on the healthy path
2014-09-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by jonnyo

if you were plague with injury, why do you want to run 6 times a week?

what injury exactly?

double run day instead of a long run...that could help you greatly get back on the healthy path

I was planning on running the same mileage I ran ran in 5 days and spreading it out in 6 days.

The injuries I dealt with was tendonitis in my foot and hamstring strain.

Edited by EKH 2014-09-28 9:04 AM
2014-09-28 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I actually maintained a running streak through 70.3 training, to manage this I had a lot of Bricks built into my schedule as that was the only way I could run daily. Also the majority of the runs were easy pace with just a few focused at higher effort. My goals were similar to yours in wanting to maintain the distance over a longer period. Looking back though I'm still not sure if it helped or not, I had some nutrition mistakes on the bike that turned the run into a challenge.

I do know that coming out the other end I am a much stronger runner now, but I still cannot swim very well
2014-09-28 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by EKH  After a few tries this is the schedule that seems to look the best. Any thoughts? Monday - am short run pm swim Tuesday - am medium run pm swim Wednesday - am short run pm Interval bike Thursday - am long run Friday - swim Saturday - am Z2 bike pm medium run Sunday - am short run pm Long bike

I'd drop one of the runs and add a bike.

If I was coming up with your schedule given this limited information and what you'd like your sched to look like it would be something like this:

M - Recovery Run/Swim

T - Bike/Swim

W - Bike/Run

Th - AM Run/PM Run

F - Swim

Sat - Bike/Run

Sun - Bike

5 runs, 4 bikes, 3 swims

2014-09-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by EKH  After a few tries this is the schedule that seems to look the best. Any thoughts? Monday - am short run pm swim Tuesday - am medium run pm swim Wednesday - am short run pm Interval bike Thursday - am long run Friday - swim Saturday - am Z2 bike pm medium run Sunday - am short run pm Long bike

I'd drop one of the runs and add a bike.

If I was coming up with your schedule given this limited information and what you'd like your sched to look like it would be something like this:

M - Recovery Run/Swim

T - Bike/Swim

W - Bike/Run

Th - AM Run/PM Run

F - Swim

Sat - Bike/Run

Sun - Bike

5 runs, 4 bikes, 3 swims

So are you suggesting splitting my long run up? So if I was planning on running 10 miles running two 5 milers? If so have you tried this? How would this effect my performance come race day when facing a hm?

2014-09-28 10:00 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Here is what my schedule has looked like in the past - and works very well for me:

Mon - am medium run, pm swim
Tues - am bike, short run immediately after, pm swim or yoga
Wed - am medium run, pm swim or bike
Thurs - am bike, short run immediately after, pm swim or yoga
Friday - am long run, pm swim
Saturday - am long bike, short run immediately after
Sunday - off

This was the basic plan - medium runs on Mon/Wed, short runs on Tues/Thurs/Sat as brick workouts - they are short - around 2-3 miles but you can fit them in without having to schedule an extra ton of time and you are already sweaty. My pm workouts are usually during lunch.

I teach spin on bikes with power meters so the biking during the week is interval/threshold based and pretty intense. I will usually sub an extra class every week so can get 4x bike. My long ride is always outside on Saturday.

With some variables and adding in some strength training 2x/week it equals

6 runs
3-4 bikes
3-4 swims
1 yoga
1 full day off - I ALWAYS take 1 day completely off - found this to be crucial for injury prevention and maintaining my sanity and keeping my family happy!

This has worked well for me training for 2 HIM races, and now am trying to figure out how it will play out for a full IM next year :-)!
2014-09-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

I know a lot of people here are proponents of the BarryP plan, so I assume that's partly where the six days/week running comes from.

When I was only running, I found that running six days/week (or sometimes seven) really helped with my running progress. I had some really good seasons training for 10ks, half-marathons, and marathons, so I fully support the idea of frequent running.

However, since I've take up triathlon, I find it pretty hard to run more than four days/week. I can do four pretty consistently, and will occasionally do five, but then I find I'm cutting some other bike or swim workout. I'm not very strong in cycling and swimming so I know I need to put the time in there. I am relatively new to tri, but looking ahead to an olympic distance and possible 70.3 next year-- how important do most people thin it is it to try to run almost every day?
2014-09-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

I guess I am in the minority, but I run 7 days/week year round. One day is just an easy 2 mile recovery jog though.

Lately I've been doing a heavy run focus with 3 quality runs per week. Long run, threshold/tempo, and intervals, and I spread them out across the week based on level of effort with easier efforts in between and one day as a very easy 2 mile recovery run just to keep things loose.

During long course training, I keep the long run and the tempo run, but drop the intervals. I make up for the intensity on the bike.

I think it comes down to CONSISTENT volume. I've been (knock on wood) pretty injury resistant. I get aches and tweaks, but no real issues. I generally don't really need to build up my run for long course training since my mileage is pretty much where I need it to be.

There were times where I couldn't get every session in, but ideally my training for long course (IM) looked like this:

M- bike (sweet spot)/run (1 hour) usually as a brick
Tue- swim, run (progression or tempo usu. 60 to 90 min)
Wed- long ride, short easy run (20 - 30 min)
Thu- swim, run (1 hour)
Fri- swim, hard (threshold effort) bike, short easy run (20 - 30 min)
Sat - Long run (2 to 3 hour)
Sun- Recovery day, 2 mi easy jog

I will concede that I put a somewhat disproportionate amount of work into the run, but so far I've stayed pretty healthy and I run well and within my abilities when I race.
2014-09-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: #5054634

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Early this summer (May) I came across a grade a1ligament injury and it's been taking a while to fully get back. I am trying to fit 4 days of running but find it difficult to keep up with the other two sports (what I consider my weakness). I am new to tris but the injury set me back. As a result I'm interested in focusing my effort to get my running back where it was pre-injury but it's been difficult to get in more then 3-4 runs per week due to time and scheduling. Here's to playing catch up!
2014-09-29 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by EKH
So who's running 6 days a week while training for a long course event?

I have tried several things and by far my best running has come as a result of frequency.
I think I have zeroed in on where/when/why I get hurt and now plan to go back to what works.

I am not sure when your race is, but consider breaking up between now and then into blocks of time and adjust the frequency and intensity in those blocks

For example my best running seasons were when I ran 7 days a week from Mid Dec to Mid March. Then I reduced frequency slowly down to 5x per week, allowing time for more bike or swim. That block of high frequency running carried over for a while.

It's almost as if I do a 3 month block of high frequency it will carry over for 3months, if I do some quality work in that 2nd 3 month block.

The thing I would not do is pick a plan and do it for 6 consecutive months. You need to change it up over time. Even a Barry P type of plan will suggest you change the composition in blocks. I avoid the word periodization because it means different things to different people

FYI, my achilles tendonosis is usually at it's lowest with high frequency running, as strange as that may sound. You mention tendinitis, but I am not sure where you have it or how well diagnose it is.

2014-09-29 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I'll go against the grain here a bit and say that if injury is a concern, I'd look at reducing the amount of running that you are doing each week as opposed to increasing. Between S,B,R, it is the most difficult from which to recover, and the one most likely to produce an injury from overdoing it. While it depends on your own personal limiters, I've found that I lose very little in terms of performance by running less and working more on cycling. I haven't seen a decrease in my speed in running, and I have in fact gotten faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's running 6 days a week while training for 70.3? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run question -- ramping up from 0 to 5 days a week running

Started by ligersandtions
Views: 1964 Posts: 21

2013-01-22 2:41 PM AdventureBear

Who's Training On Xmas Day? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by supa-powa
Views: 3292 Posts: 93

2008-12-26 1:35 PM BobbyD

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2245 Posts: 7

2008-05-12 5:15 PM Aikidoman

Marathon Training with Run 3 days/week

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1524 Posts: 18

2007-04-25 5:04 PM runnergirl

Who's Running Friday - National Run @ Work Day

Started by jcjsc00
Views: 546 Posts: 12

2006-09-21 12:27 PM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.