General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of my first full Oly tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-28 3:59 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of my first full Oly tri
The Good: I came in 41 out of 879 finishers on the swim. That included seeded athletes and four collegiate teams. So I at least have the chops I thought I did in the water.

The Bad: I totally underestimated the Miami heat and humidity. The heat index reached close to 100 degrees during the run in which the entire 6.2 miles was on a bridge with no shade. I bonked hard finishing in 52 minutes.

The Ugly: I came in 416 on the bike. My cheap aluminum bike not only was heavy and extremely awkward in the huge translation area, but the front tire started to go south after one mile. I'm not sure yet, but I believe the bearings went. The point is; it may be the engine, but on top of being non-aero and extremely heavy, cheap aluminum bikes are also made...cheap. I've had nothing but problems. I can't blame the bike for everything, but having equipment problems makes a bad thing (my biking ability) much worse.

But I'm going to add three more goods (call it the afterglow):

Bonus Good #1: I learned a very much needed respect for the sport of triathlon and the heat.

Bonus Good #2: after seeing me come out of the water with the college kids and seeded (I beat the fourth place OA winner out of the water) guys, then struggle through transition with a clunky awkward, falling apart bike, my wife is actually demanding I get a good bike (and put the work in to get fast on it). Or switch to swimming only.

Bonus Good #3: the first picture below was from my first triathlon 3 months ago. I hadn't been in the pool for almost 20 years and never so much as touched a road or TT bike. I was getting bored with running and starting to let myself go. The other picture is from today. 14 pounds lighter and feeling so much better. What a difference 3 months and triathlon makes.

Overall I came in 136 out of 879, so not too bad for a noob.

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-28 4:01 PM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (170KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (192KB - 3 downloads)

2014-09-28 4:39 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of my first full Oly tri
Good job out there! You could have been 15 pounds lighter if you shaved the facial hair Doing a tri in the heat sucks, that's for sure. You'll learn a lot from this tri I'm sure and your mental toughness will be that much better for your next race.

Getting a good bike will help for sure. I got first non $100 bike three years ago. It was my first road bike (used cheap aluminum bike that came with previous owner upgraded ultegra components...if you can believe that) and it felt like I was cheating. I couldn't believe how effortless it was to ride on a road bike compared to the cheap hybrid I had. If you're looking for a new bike, spend some money and get a decent one. No need to go top of the line but stay away from Walmart and Amazon. Seriously...I was about to buy a $300 road bike kit from Amazon when I was looking for bikes :P. Reading the reviews now show it was nothing but pure junk.
2014-09-28 5:35 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Blastman

Good job out there! You could have been 15 pounds lighter if you shaved the facial hair Doing a tri in the heat sucks, that's for sure. You'll learn a lot from this tri I'm sure and your mental toughness will be that much better for your next race.

Getting a good bike will help for sure. I got first non $100 bike three years ago. It was my first road bike (used cheap aluminum bike that came with previous owner upgraded ultegra components...if you can believe that) and it felt like I was cheating. I couldn't believe how effortless it was to ride on a road bike compared to the cheap hybrid I had. If you're looking for a new bike, spend some money and get a decent one. No need to go top of the line but stay away from Walmart and Amazon. Seriously...I was about to buy a $300 road bike kit from Amazon when I was looking for bikes :P. Reading the reviews now show it was nothing but pure junk.

Thanks. It was definitely trying at the end. Some random guy ran with me the last mile and pushed me through. He was in my age group and everything but stuck with me to keep me going (I was hurting bad). He actually was going to cross the line at the same time, but I felt he deserved the spot so I stopped right before the pads and forced him to take it.

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but the bike I have is the $300 road bike from Amazon...it's a hunk of junk. I've actually put probably $600 into it at the LBS just to keep it running and it still pulled this on my race.

And shaving is out of the question....I wouldn't be a pirate otherwise...

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (42KB - 3 downloads)
2014-09-28 6:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Congrats!!  What a fantastic job on the swim--you're clearly doing something right!!  You're going to be a force to be reckoned with once you get a decent bike.

And about the bike, better get that "demand" from your wife in writing.   She may live to rue the day that she told you to get a better bike.  Pretty soon you'll have a whole stable full and she'll be telling you that if you get one more, dire things will happen!    Seriously, that's really cool that you have her support.  She can clearly see how much potential you have and it's neat that she's on board with you pursuing your new passion.

2014-09-29 1:47 PM

User image

Congrats on your first finish, and great swim.

A good bike will go a long way. If you could score a decent used tri bike with some aero bars, you would be straight. Maybe give a couple LBS a call and see if anyone is looking to sell.

That heat and humidity is a killer. I just melt in the heat.

Congrats again.
2014-09-29 4:09 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Congrats on your race. 

Heat will suck it out of you.  Your run is going to suffer unless you are tiny....that's why it's harder for the bigger guys/gals at Kona to podium.  That being said, dialing in the right bike effort for a given distance is the key to setting up a successful run...I haven't quite figured that out yet myself.   You, like me (btw, you're much faster), probably hit the bike hard in the heat of competition, then suffer the consequences because it's hot and your legs are a little fried.  Racing with a power meter or by heart rate might help you in managing the effort on the bike.

With regard to the bike, getting a better bike will help a lot but getting properly fitted on your bike will help more.  If your serious about getting better in this sport, make sure your bike budget includes $200ish for a professional bike fit (not the eyeball fit that you get when you buy a bike).

2014-09-29 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everyone for your comments. I called around and found a place that had Felt B16s (which is the bike I've been coveting for a while) on sale for $1,450 and jumped on it. That's what I've seen used B16s going for. Got it fit and brought it home. I can't wait to take it out for a spin in the morning. Just from being on the trainer and walking it around it is like night and day. Balanced, solid, smooth, light and comfortable. I'm a very happy man.

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-29 6:33 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1774KB - 3 downloads)
2014-09-29 6:59 PM

User image

There are so many things wrong with that picture...I don't even know where to start.

Congrats on your race and the new bike.

2014-09-29 7:06 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

There are so many things wrong with that picture...I don't even know where to start.

I know, I know; the pirate hat isn't very aero, and it's not even carbon.
2014-09-29 8:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar

He's thinking more like how it's the wrong side of the bike and completely not squared up with the camera. It's in the wrong gear. Pedals are not at 3 & 9. Skewers at odd angles. Price tag is still on. Pressure valves are not at the bottom. Etc. At least the bike looks clean! 

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-29 8:18 PM
2014-09-29 9:50 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for your comments. I called around and found a place that had Felt B16s (which is the bike I've been coveting for a while) on sale for $1,450 and jumped on it. That's what I've seen used B16s going for. Got it fit and brought it home. I can't wait to take it out for a spin in the morning. Just from being on the trainer and walking it around it is like night and day. Balanced, solid, smooth, light and comfortable. I'm a very happy man.

Can't go wrong with a Felt B16! (What I ride ) You got a much better deal than me but I can't complain. Well I could....

2014-09-30 5:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

He's thinking more like how it's the wrong side of the bike and completely not squared up with the camera. It's in the wrong gear. Pedals are not at 3 & 9. Skewers at odd angles. Price tag is still on. Pressure valves are not at the bottom. Etc. At least the bike looks clean! 

I didn't realize there was a specific technique to taking bike pictures. Does it make you faster?
2014-09-30 10:03 AM

User image

Congratulations on getting it done. Sounds like the swim went very well!

What was your overall time, splits and AG placing? I'm all about the data.
2014-09-30 10:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

I didn't realize there was a specific technique to taking bike pictures. Does it make you faster?

Show this to cyclists around your area and escaping the ensuing lynch mob would encourage you to be faster.

2014-09-30 10:42 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Now you did it, no more excuses!!!!
2014-09-30 10:43 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Show this to cyclists around your area and escaping the ensuing lynch mob would encourage you to be faster.

I guess you learn something new every day. It certainly isn't my first triathlon faux pas. I believe I asked if you should bring a small stool or bucket to sit on to change your shoes at transition on one of my first posts. That started a string of sarcasm that may have been a record of some sort.

2014-09-30 10:49 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I too am all about the data. Come to think of it, that would make a pretty cool shirt; "All About the Data" I'm nerdy enough to pull that one off (I think the Chemical Engineering degree gives me the right to revel in my Dork Side)

Anyway, to your question, here is a screen shot of my results. One BIG note; I stink at biking, but not this bad. The speed calculated here was based upon 40k, however the course was actually closer to 26 miles. My average speed was around 19.7 mph.

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-30 10:51 AM

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (136KB - 3 downloads)
2014-09-30 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Pirate bikes don't need to follow the same rules. He's good.
2014-09-30 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I too am all about the data. Come to think of it, that would make a pretty cool shirt; "All About the Data" I'm nerdy enough to pull that one off (I think the Chemical Engineering degree gives me the right to revel in my Dork Side)

Anyway, to your question, here is a screen shot of my results. One BIG note; I stink at biking, but not this bad. The speed calculated here was based upon 40k, however the course was actually closer to 26 miles. My average speed was around 19.7 mph.

And your run is probably below your potential given the fact you "bonked", although probably not in the formal definition.....but you know what I mean.

You will see that HIM is a completely different beast (IMO) as you only swim a bit further but bike 2.25x.
2.25x more opportunity to wipe yourself out before running 2x the distance.
2014-09-30 11:19 AM

User image

Nice times. I can only aspire to be so fast on my first Olympic tri.

I also have to say I'm completely jealous of you living in Key Largo. It's an awesome place.
2014-09-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

And your run is probably below your potential given the fact you "bonked", although probably not in the formal definition.....but you know what I mean.

You will see that HIM is a completely different beast (IMO) as you only swim a bit further but bike 2.25x.
2.25x more opportunity to wipe yourself out before running 2x the distance.

My PR for a 10K is 42 and change, so I was WAY off of that. Not that I would expect to have a PR 10k at the end of a tri, but my pace during brick workouts is 7:30 to 7:45 without much effort, so being in the mid to high 8's was bonk-zone. I actually ran the first three miles just under an 8:00 MM, then ran the last three high 9's. I stopped and walked three times in the last two miles. It was a classic crash and burn.

2014-09-30 11:28 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Congrats on your race and the new bike! Great week for you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of my first full Oly tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ebay - good bad ugly? Pages: 1 2

Started by MLPFS
Views: 2942 Posts: 33

2013-09-29 9:58 PM mmrocker13

Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly

Started by TTom
Views: 1355 Posts: 9

2013-09-16 7:33 PM Jason N

First Tri This Weekend - The good, bad, and ugly

Started by MarkL2
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2010-09-20 9:36 AM ToeKnail

Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea Pages: 1 2

Started by IrishLadinTexas
Views: 3161 Posts: 41

2014-09-28 8:11 PM ejshowers

Bike manufacture, good, bad or ugly?

Started by tdebeers
Views: 850 Posts: 5

2006-09-24 8:33 AM tdebeers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.