General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of a swimming coach (on a budget) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-28 10:05 PM

Subject: In need of a swimming coach (on a budget)
Hey guys!

I know my thread has nothing to do with triathlete but my goal is to do one in 2016.

BUT to do that I need to brake my fear of water (or submerging my face in water). I caught this fear as a child when I almost drowned in a pool. It's NOT a phobia, just fear.
I'm am now 31 years of age and want to conquer my fear of water!! Specially in open waters.

And who not better than triathlon athletes that have to be avid swimmers and can show me the correct way of swimming so I can conquer my fear and be able to do a triathlete in 2016.

So I don't know how to swim and need a swimming experienced coach that has done a triathlete to show me how to swim.

Thanks in advance guy! Your suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Ed

2014-09-28 11:05 PM
in reply to: Mrrookie

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: In need of a swimming coach (on a budget)

Good for you, Ed!!  Glad you survived your scary water experience and are now ready to kiss that residual fear goodbye.  I've found that the local rec centers in my area have private and group swimming lessons for pretty reasonable prices. 

I don't know that you'd necessarily need to work with someone who does triathlons, at least to begin with.  Just because somebody knows how to do it doesn't mean that they know how to teach it.  I'd suggest that you talk with swim instructors about their experience with first-time adult swimmers so you can find somebody you can trust you to help overcome your fear of putting your face in the water.  Once you feel confident doing that and swimming in a pool, then maybe consider finding a triathlete or triathlon coach who can help you with the open water swimming part.  A local tri club would be a good place to go to find that kind of help.

2014-09-28 11:10 PM
in reply to: #5054781

Thank you Mary! You're right...I just wanted to get the best there is out there. I appreciate your sincere response and will take that in consideration.
2014-09-29 7:00 AM

I would contact you local YMCA / community rec center and and ask about adult swim lessons. I would probably pay for the private or semi private. Those lessons are going to focus on helping you get comfortable in the water and getting over you fear of the water. I think there are differences between swim lessons and coaching, I think you need lessons. You mention that you want to get the "best there is" what is the best for you are our current stage is not the same as someone that has been swimming for a long period of time.
2014-09-29 7:39 AM

, Wisconsin
Ed, I agree with what has already been said. My own Mom went through this when she was in her late 40s if I remember right. She went to the local Y and enrolled in classes. I don't know the specifics. But, I do know that she went from non-swimmer, fear of water, to regularly swimming 1/2 mile or more within maybe a year or so. You can do it for sure! I'd just call the Aquatics director at your local Y and tell them what you're trying to do.
2014-09-29 11:25 AM

All of the above are good suggestions, I'll just throw one more into the mix. My local college swim team hosts group swim lessons on Sunday mornings for a small donation. These swim lessons are their fundraising activity and are usually run by at least one assistant swim coach and a couple of athletes who help out and act as demonstrators. The suggested donation is $10 (I usually give more b/c I think $10 is too cheap) and for that I get an hour long swim lesson from a DIII college assistant coach. I don't know whether this is a common practice, but if you have any colleges or universities with a swim team near you, worth checking out.

2014-09-29 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I go to the Y, several of the lifeguards give lessons. $20 for a one hour session. I usually go 3 times, then he gives me things to work on for a while, then I can come back a month or so later.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In need of a swimming coach (on a budget) Rss Feed