Georgia MultiSports Productions
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 58s
Overall Rank = 118/822
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/70
Pre-race routine:

about 60 minute drive....easy setup, then went to the swim start. I sat around and talked with people until the sun rose.
Event warmup:

I swam out to the first buoy a few times to loosen up the shoulders.
Swim
  • 06m 18s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim. I got really lucky as the guy that had the fastest time in our wave started beside me. We were beside each other for the up leg until the first turn. He got the better turn, but I got on him for an excellent draft to the next buoy. I lost him when we started to run over the next wave. The swim went by fast. It was weird. I really felt bad for the wave in front of us. There were some guys really struggling. I passed half of thee wave in front which made for some tricky swimming as a really did not want to run anyone over.
What would you do differently?:

How about swim more? I will take the result given the lack of pool time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

This was a hard transition. very long run from the lake to the transition area that included a big steep hill from the lake up to the transition area. The HR was jacked as I got to my bike. I was too slow with the speed suite off and helmet on effort. Worth a few seconds. Otherwise, it looks like everyone in the top 20 was about the same.
Bike
  • 38m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

fairly easy course. little lumpy in places, but otherwise, it was hammer city. I passed a ton of people, but did get passed by about 4 people. The ride was weird mentally because it went so fast. it did not feel like a 38 minute effort.

The only thing I did wrong was the final approach to the transition. The distance from the front of the park to transition area was far. It was a little up and down. I scrubbed too much speed in the park. There was a big short steep hill no more than 50 yards to the transition area. I hit it in the completely wrong gear and had to really dig to keep some speed up. I did not want to shift for fear of losing the chain.

Not sure, but I would have like to do abut 21 or 22 MPH.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

What an F'in mess! I did not get out of my shoes while still on the bike, so I had to run with them through transition. I have not done this in a long time. Time makes you stupid. I lost 15-20 seconds there. Next, I sat down to take the bike shoes off and get my running shoes on. I lost another 5 second here. So, 20-25 seconds lost in transition. Ugh.

take my feet out of the bike shoes to improve the run in transition. Speed laces on running shoes!
Run
  • 27m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 35s  min/km
Comments:

Better than other races this year. Ran the first mile well. Slowed down some on mile 2. I took a different approach on the last mile. I encouraged people and as they started running faster, I ran harder.

Ran up on a guy walking and tapped him on the shoulder and said "come on run"...he picked it up and ran with me some. He dropped off, but I could tell he was doing better. Shortly after, I got passed by a guy in the 40-44. I jumped on and pushed to stay with him. About 300 yards later, we pasted another guy in the 40-44 AG. I tapped him on the shoulder and said "come on run, you can't end the day with him passing you" (pointing the guy I was following). He jumped on and we ran progressively harder towards the finish line. As we approached the final 1/4 mile to the finish, there was small steep hill and they surged to drop me. As I got the top of the hill, another guy was shuffling the last 150 yards to the line. I said, "come on, finish with me"..he said, "dude, I can't"...I said "F that, come on and run now"...he smiled and picked it up and ran with me to the line. As we finished, the guy that I got motivated to not allow someone to pass him stopped me. He thanked me and had a big grin on his face as he pipped the guy at the line.

I have run very little over the last two months or so. This was my typical finish. So, I can't expect more. It was nice to finish in a positive state of mind.
Post race
Warm down:

walked all over the place gathering up stuff. I did not hang out long at the race due to no Dynamo people and no friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of working out. I could feel the stronger bike condition helped out on the run. I need to get in the gym and lift this winter. It will make a big difference come spring.

Event comments:

GMS generally does a good job. There was no major issue and everything ran as expected. I hate the day before bike check in as I am not sure why it is a requirement. The only thing I can come up with is the park wanted the revenue from the parking and did not want to man the front gate on an early Sunday morning.

Last updated: 2014-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:18 | 400 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 0/822
Performance: Good
Suit: speed suite
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:23 | 13 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:54 | 05 kms | 05m 35s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-28 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon (Emerald Pointe Triathlon)

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 2042 Posts: 5

2009-10-05 10:06 AM nealphelps

Started by skigator93
Views: 1649 Posts: 2

2009-10-05 6:07 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Started by FALLS-RUNNER
Views: 2325 Posts: 4

2009-10-06 3:34 PM autigers_1998

Started by zaichikmiller
Views: 2053 Posts: 6

2009-10-06 2:10 PM nealphelps

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1329 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.