General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » First Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-29 1:43 PM

Subject: First Tri Bike
Hi would love a bit of feed back on any advice on picking my first tt bike. Im cycling about 6 months and competed in one triathlon this summer. Im doing roughly 200 miles a week on my road bike since then and i know im hooked so ill be taking them a lot more serious next year but i havent got thousands to spend on a tri bike could anyone recommend a good bike for 1500 or there abouts. Cheers

2014-09-29 7:38 PM
in reply to: seanmcl

User image

lockport
Subject: RE: First Tri Bike
How tall are you? I am selling my bike currently. I am 5'11" and this one fits great, just not using it.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h365/Steven_Gentz/4C4F3BEA-AB9A...

Selling frameset with aerobars and all risers.
shimano 105 group-brand new-maybe 15 miles

$2000 obo
2014-09-30 3:25 AM
in reply to: #5055001

Im 6 ft 3 pal it would be a bit small for me
2014-09-30 8:45 AM

User image

Welcome to the obsession.

There are a lot of good bike companies out there (Cervelo, Felt, QR, Specialized, Trek, etc), all with bikes in your price range.

My suggestion to you is to go to a local bike shop (LBS) and have them fit you for your size on handful of different bikes, from different manufacturers. Each manufacturer has different geometry of their frames, so a 58cm on a Cervelo may not be the same dimensions for another manufacturer.

More than likely you will be on a 58cm - 61cm frame depending on your torso and your inseam, or L - XL frame for companies who size that way.

I will 100% guarantee you that they will try to sell you a new bike (2014) or a prior years' model (2013) that they couldn't move...don't get roped in. Buy your first tri bike used and save yourself a crap load of money.

I bought my first bike on this site and have since upgraded to a higher-end bike this year. Serious triathletes are obsessive with new gear and will upgrade at the drop of the hat, leaving a great opportunity for you to pick up a good used bike for a fraction of the cost.

The main thing you want to concern yourself with is the bike works for your dimensions and you get a comfortable fit to be in aero position for 2+ hours.

Another good site to go to is Slowtwitch.com Go to the Forums, then Classifieds.

Lastly, I recently upgraded my bike with Brian Richards from www.mybikeshop.com. Great guy to work with and he is reasonable, especially on an entry level bike.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jeff
2014-09-30 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

Thanks Jeff! Much appreciated!

We would be happy to help if we can. You can see most of our bikes here at www.mybikeshop.com. Our inventory is very fluid and changes daily, so often times we have more bikes that what you will see listed. 

Please let me know if you would like to chat all things bikes.

Thanks again!

brian

2014-09-30 4:39 PM
in reply to: mybikeshop

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
It really is a good idea to get a fitting done, and a good fitter can/will give you a list of bikes that will work for you. As mentioned, you might ride a 58 from one company, and a 61 from another, and there may be some bikes whose geometries won't work at all for you.

Being 6'3" is good news and bad news. On that one hand bike shops can have a tough time moving bikes at the upper end of the size range, so you may be able to get a good deal on some end-of-season inventory clearout. On the other hand, when you start looking at the used market (a better option) you'll find 54s and 56s for days, the occasional 58, but not much beyond that.

As an example, I'm just a shade under 6'3" and did a Retul fitting. I gave the dude a list of the bikes I was looking at. The best fit for me was a 61cm Cervelo P2. Other options were an Argon18 E-112 in 58 and a Trek Speed concept in 58 as well. I was also interested in the Felt B-series, but there was no way any of those bikes' geometry was going to work for me.

But there are dudes this tall who ride 56s, so go figure. It's not nearly as much about height as it is inseam, torso length, and flexibility.

Sell Gear
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » First Tri Bike Rss Feed