General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's My N+1? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-29 4:59 PM

Subject: What's My N+1?
In the next couple of months, it's going to be time for my next bike. I have my Tri bike as my primary, and I'm not upgrading it anytime soon. The second bike right now is my commuter bike, and it's ready to get switched out. The main purpose will be for commuting (short but hilly ride), but I'd like to replace it with something that I can use for some training, especially rides around the city where I'm still not really comfortable riding aero on the bars on my Tri bike.

Winter commuting weather in Seattle can suck, so I'm wondering if I should look at a Cyclocross bike rather than a traditional road bike? I also like the idea of being able to do some kind of bike racing with this 2nd bike, be it CX or spring crits, as a way to increase my training and experience on the bike (far and away weakest discipline).

Order of priorities:
1) Commute, including bad winter weather
2) In-city/midweek training rides
Distant 3rd) Beef up sad-sack bike skills by entering local races (CX for off-season cross training, or crit races for spring speed?).

What do you think-- Will a road bike be a poor winter commuter? Would a roadie or CX be a better cross-training tool?
Thanks all!

2014-09-29 5:14 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: What's My N+1?
Sounds to me like a CX is your best bet. I don't commute much here in the winter, because it does suck, but there are a ton of people in my office that do. As I understand it many CX bikes can be fitted with removable fenders for rain and I believe a CX with disk brakes has better stopping power in wet weather.

2014-09-29 5:52 PM

User image

A CX bike would probably work well since most have fender and rack mounts.  You could also use a CX bike as a road bike simply by swapping to road tires.  Your position will be somewhat relaxed due to the nature of CX bike geometry, but it seems low on your priority list.

2014-09-29 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
My commuter is an early 80s Peugeot road bike with fenders, a rack and fixed gear because I got tired of replacing drivetrains on my bikes due to the amount of salt through the winter. Although I've not done it, the clearance is such that I could run cyclo-cross tires (28mm road tires on it right now) or touring tires depending on conditions. This is the bike that by far sees the most riding but if I didn't have it, my cyclo-cross would be setup with fenders and rack for commuting.

I've not ended up riding cross as much as I anticipated so my cross bike is mainly just a fun option these days but if I had to choose between it and my road bike, I would go with it. Very versatile and with a quick tire swap, good for road riding.

Shane
2014-09-29 6:11 PM

User image

Being in Seattle I'm surprised you're not in line for a Denny...

I would agree with the sentiment of getting a Cyclocross though. Aluminum framed, a bit heavier than your primary, to build muscles up hills.
2014-09-30 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

My personal opinion (as some one who has 8 in his stable right now, and is currently building the frame for #9) is that if you plan to do much of either xc or crits/road races, you're really looking at N+2, not N+1. Yes, you can do road races and crits on a 'cross bike, but it's a "can" and certainly not ideal. Yes, I can point out several people who do just fine in the roadie scene on a cross bike, but there's a reason that the two bikes have differing geometries. But I'd also not enjoy an 'cross race on a road bike, even with 28mm tires (regs limit tire width for true 'cross to 33mm, I think, but there are few road-race oriented bikes that allow that kind of width -- Volagi being one of the standout exceptions).

If you're really stuck with it being +1, then I'd go with a 'cross bike that allows for the addition of fenders, throw some beefy road tires on it for the commute, and rock it all winter. The Kona Jake is a great choice for something like this, though there are several other similar models in the same price range. Then I suspect you'll be looking for a road racer in a year or so...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's My N+1? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's the word for...

Started by madkat
Views: 670 Posts: 6

2004-07-08 8:51 AM CindyK

What's your training like?

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 1349 Posts: 24

2004-07-01 6:22 PM lilbear7

Energy bars-- what's your favorite? Pages: 1 2