General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Saddle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-29 9:09 PM

User image

Subject: New Saddle?
Just did Augusta 70.3 and the bike leg was really tough on my crotch. I could hardly stay in aero for half the race. Been riding with a Fizik Arione saddle that has been giving me pain on longer rides and this race was the last straw. Looking for a new saddle. Know there are many good choices out there. Is this something you just need to test out yourself and see what works best? I know proper fit is critical as well.

Looking for a more tri-specific saddle, where you are in aero for long periods of time, and wearing a pretty thin chamois. It seems like the "Junk off the Front" concept would be a good solution, in theory. Looking at Cobb vs Adamo. Anyone have experience with them? I did some searching and it seems you have people speaking well about both, but it would seem that the Cobb JOF series is slightly more updated version of the Adamo saddle. At least from reading the descriptions about narrower noses, less inner thigh chaffing, and the like.

I want to kick it up to a full Ironman next year and this is one of my top priorities. I've got to get comfortable on these longer rides.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

2014-09-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: NewDiz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: New Saddle?
You're going to hear a ton of different opinions on this. Best bet is to find a shop that will let you demo different kinds until you find one that works. Me personally, I love my Cobbs (I have one on my tri and same model on my roadie) hated my Adamo.

The next person below me will probably have had the opposite experience
2014-09-29 9:59 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

I rode Cobb comfortably for two years, then it all went wrong and I found myself in the same position as you. ....on fire for more of the race than not despite bike refits. I switched over to adamo attack (after trying couple other versions of adamo and cobb) and that has been the best for me ... after I bent the front end of the seat in with a zip tie to eliminate the chaffing. I did two long course races on the cobb and was miserable, two on the adamo and while not singing, my privates were at least not screaming. ...but everyone sits differently, tilts differently, rides differently, and is built differently. find a shop that will let you try a few out.
2014-09-30 4:41 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
90 days to try out a Cobb saddle for yourself, send it back if it's not for you.

I will say a LOT of guys in the Cobb Mobb have swapped over to the new Randee saddle and have all praised it very highly.

2014-09-30 6:18 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If you have a bike shop in your area that carries several different tri saddles then that's where I would start. The bike shop I use kept letting me exchange saddles until I found one that worked for me. I took several saddles home to try out before I finally settled on an Adamo TT. Saddles I tried that didn't work for me was the Cobb V-Flow and the Bontrager Hilo.
2014-09-30 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Agree with others....try to find a shop that will let you demo different saddles.

I tried the new Fizik Tritone, and it was the worst saddle I've ever ridden....but some people love it.

I put a Cobb Plus2 on the bike about a month ago. I've done a couple of sprints on it and a handful of training rides in the 40 to 50 mile range, and I've found it to be very comfortable.

2014-09-30 7:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I have a Cobb and love it. I put 187 miles on it this weekend, was I slightly sore Sunday evening- yea just a little but it was a lot of miles. With my old saddle I would have been sore for days afterwards.
2014-09-30 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I have used the Specialized Sitero the last two seasons.  Used a Cobb V-Flow Max prior to that and an Adamo ISM Race prior to the Cobb.  All excellent saddles.  The Sitero is by far my favorite tri saddle.

But everyone is different.

2014-09-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: #5055157

I love my adamo road saddle...Even in tri shorts I'm comfortable.
2014-09-30 2:40 PM

I had an Adamo and while it was comfortable my feet went to sleep after a while. It seemed a little too wide. Then I won a Cobb JOF saddle, it's perfect for me, comfortable and no numbness. Cobb is a great company, Mr. Cobb was actually the announcer at the triathlon where I won the saddle, I visited with his wife and we went over my saddle issues. I would recommend calling them if you don't mind discussing your issues with them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Saddle? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new saddle, new position

Started by sharkbait!
Views: 619 Posts: 3

2014-03-12 8:34 AM jonnyo

New Saddle, (Adamo Road) New Knee problems??

Started by JasenGuy
Views: 843 Posts: 9

2012-08-07 11:25 PM JasenGuy

New Saddle or New Camera?

Started by ubersteiny
Views: 1152 Posts: 21

2011-12-29 11:55 AM popsracer

new bike, new saddle, OUCH

Started by TheSchwamm
Views: 683 Posts: 3

2010-03-05 7:47 AM rjp7204

How to pick a new saddle

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 597 Posts: 7

2006-04-11 5:29 PM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : October 8, 2008
Is it more important to be as steep as you can go and uncomfortable, or be in a more comfortable position and sacrifice some aerodynamics?
date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.