General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Safety - Would You Use This? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Cycling Safety - Would You Use This?
OptionResults
YES5 Votes - [10.2%]
NO44 Votes - [89.8%]

2014-10-02 2:33 PM
in reply to: slowspoke

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Cycling Safety - Would You Use This?
Originally posted by slowspoke

In my 300 odd mile ride across Ohio, I had not one single solitary encounter with another driver. On solo rides, I have at least some small encounter with a driver EVERY time. It is my opinion that when they see these sag vehicles around, it makes them aware and gives the impression that its not just some spandex-laden fitness freak out for a sunday stroll that is slowing them down. It seems more official, and they seem more careful to lower their rate of speed and pass safely.

In groups you rarely have issues with drivers, it is usually on a solo ride. People are more cautious with groups because there are witnesses!

Most here have done organized rides with Sag vehicles, that does not mean that we needed them. Only once did I ever get help from Sag, and if they were not there I would have handled it on my own.

If they did this in my area and everyone arranged for a sag vehicle you would have and extra 1000 cars on the road on any given Sunday morning.

2014-10-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: mike761

Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by slowspoke

In my 300 odd mile ride across Ohio, I had not one single solitary encounter with another driver. On solo rides, I have at least some small encounter with a driver EVERY time. It is my opinion that when they see these sag vehicles around, it makes them aware and gives the impression that its not just some spandex-laden fitness freak out for a sunday stroll that is slowing them down. It seems more official, and they seem more careful to lower their rate of speed and pass safely.

In groups you rarely have issues with drivers, it is usually on a solo ride. People are more cautious with groups because there are witnesses!

Most here have done organized rides with Sag vehicles, that does not mean that we needed them. Only once did I ever get help from Sag, and if they were not there I would have handled it on my own.

If they did this in my area and everyone arranged for a sag vehicle you would have and extra 1000 cars on the road on any given Sunday morning.

I agree that you are more vulnerable solo, but as you can imagine, there was a significant portion of the 328 miles that I was in fact alone after having ridden ahead, dropped back, met back up at the next aid station, etc. Sorry that I didn't spell that out.

I didn't need the sag vehicle for the entire trip either; until I did. Do you carry a spare tire around? I don't. Could I have arranged something with my cell phone to acquire one? Yes, and at a great time and money expense.

If your last statement were true, that wouldn't last beyond the first weekend it was launched because similar to any other metro area, there are a half dozen routes that the majority of riders congregate on, and once half the riders realized that they were being set up, you wouldn't bother because you could flag another one down. Or maybe we just stumbled on a different perspective. Perhaps a certain amount of these guys patrol those heavy riding days and routes for everyone that's out?.....It would give it that group ride feel for the motorists that are out and about, but in reality its just many different small groups of riders.
2014-10-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: Guest

I think that most people here have probably cycled many thousands of miles with few incidents that they weren't prepared for. You get a flat, you carry tubes and you fix it. You need water or food, carry it, if that runs out you buy more. That doesn't mean there isn't a need for something like this. The next time you are 40 miles from the city and something happens that you are not prepared for, that sounds like $100 cab ride and a few hours to me....In those cases, why wouldn't you want a sag driver in the area?
2014-10-02 3:48 PM
in reply to: slowspoke

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by slowspoke I get the impression from a lot of the replies that most here have not participated in a ride that had motorized support. I particularly get that impression from the replies that say these sag vehicles would enrage drivers further. I participated in a 3 day group ride across OH that had several sag vehicles patrolling the course. I envision this service being useful in much the same way. I wouldn't think I would need to have the car behind me (or my small group) at all times. But their presence patrolling the route would definitely help, especially during the more congested sections. Having a flashing yellow light on the top seems to assure drivers that this car is there for a reason and they seem more accepting of it. The website said that the drivers would be cyclists themselves, and based on the way the business is set up, that would mean the drivers would be familiar with the routes you are taking. They would know when to get behind you and alert other cars by just being there. They would know when they've slowed cars enough on a fast rural road, to where they can pull ahead, pull off the road, and wait for you. This shows the other cars behind you how to safely pass you as demonstrated by the sag vehicle. They would know when they can pull ahead and stop at the next stop sign at a rural section of road and motion you through while looking for crossing traffic. I agree that I would not want the car to be behind me at literally all times. It would be more of a leap frog pattern, being present enough to warn motorists of your being there without breathing down your neck at all times. In my 300 odd mile ride across Ohio, I had not one single solitary encounter with another driver. On solo rides, I have at least some small encounter with a driver EVERY time. It is my opinion that when they see these sag vehicles around, it makes them aware and gives the impression that its not just some spandex-laden fitness freak out for a sunday stroll that is slowing them down. It seems more official, and they seem more careful to lower their rate of speed and pass safely. And guess what, the sag drivers were all soccer-mom type volunteer drivers or local do-gooder types that supported the cause. It does not take a trained professional car driver to perform the type of driving that will be happening. I really don't see it being such an issue that its a stranger from a driving ability and cycling knowledge perspective, but having some connection to the cycling community would be a huge plus. Having said all of that, I think this service would be most useful for small groups, or large groups that have dispersed into small groups very quickly. There is nothing worse than a very large group that is difficult if not impossible to get around. On solo missions, it would seem useful, but I probably wouldn't bother someone to just sag for myself only....

I've participated in lots of rides with motorized support. Every race I do, okay every road race I do has motorized support. I've also done training camps with motorized support. In that case, we had communication with the vehicle.

Anyway, my answer is still the same. I would not use this. Don says it more eloquently than I do. I'm not being negative, just offering my opinion, which is negative to the question.

2014-10-05 1:07 PM

User image

Great discussions here. Thanks for your input on why you think this would/ would not benefit you and the cycling community. There is over 1 reported bicycle accident per day (and rising) here in San Antonio, and probably many more unreported, so the situation needs to change in my area.

If you like Swagon, then join the Kickstarter team by backing us.

Keep adding your constructive criticisms!
2014-10-06 5:57 AM

Because I ride 99% of the time without anyone else, I would not. If I had a group to ride with, then maybe but it all depends upon... I don't believe something like this can survive long-term outside of heavily populated cycling areas.,.

2014-10-06 6:05 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Stuartap

Originally posted by bcagle25

Never and here is why.

1. I always bring my phone, and ID with me
2. I never ride in such a rural area that a car does not pass for more then 10-15 minutes
3. 30% of my rides are with other cyclists
4. I ride to escape the city, this includes CARS and NOISE
5. I am plenty visible and ride only where there are good shoulders
6. I always have supplies I need, or am very close to getting them
7. There are only so many steps you can follow to keep safe before you go overboard, this is overboard

Ben if I had your options I would agree. But the two most important on your list fail for me.

#2 - I don't have options of rural roads where traffic is that light. Such things don't exist in the Silicon Valley. Packing my bike in the car and driving some significant distances to find such a place is a very poor alternative.

#5 - The closest thing I have to lightly travelled roads generally have no shoulders whatsoever. While some would advocate not riding those roads that decision would have two consequences. First that would mean I only ride on busy streets. Second I would never be able to ride the route that the local tris here in town uses on races.

So with all due respect, I understand that your situation allows for #7 to be true, but that is simply not the case for everyone. Maybe that is the direction this company needs to take. I think most riders do as you do on items 1, 3, & 6. Likewise most would love to do #4 although that is not always possible. So maybe this service is limited to areas where rural, lightly traveled roads are not in abundance and wide safe shoulders are not the norm.

I don't really like being put in the position of defending the idea of a company I don't even know but I feel much of the negativity is based on the individuals personal situation. As a business man I see the value in the correct circumstances. Clearly it is not for everyone. Whether the economics work or the interest is sufficient to sustain it without so much demand that it swamps the system are questions the company needs to figure out. But the question posed to me as a rider was far more simple than that. To that at least a few have said yes.

I accept that this seems 'overboard' for you. Would you feel the same way if your only options to ride were heavily travelled roads with small or no shoulders?

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, let me remind you that I have a very particular bias here when it come to safety having been hit by a car while riding. That required two surgeries, 8 months on crutches and 14 months of lost activity of any meaningful kind, let alone training. So I readily admit I start from a place quite different that most.

Fair points. I live in an area (Madison, Wisconsin) where we tend to have the best of all situations. I don't have to travel with my bike in my car to ride outside the city, deal with zero shoulders, etc. And for this company to succeed and thrive maybe they should focus all their efforts in the areas opposite of where I live. I am still skeptical but I digress.
2014-10-06 9:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
No I would not use this. The best part about riding is that it's ME & my BIKE. I ride to escape others, definitely would not like someone following me.

Flat tires, getting lost, running out of food/water. These things are all part of the experience and ones that can avoided/handled as your riding skills improve.
2014-10-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Since nearly 90% of the respondents have voted "no" in the survey, I would think the OP should have an answer to his original question.

I see no need for this thread to continue just to allow the OP to continue to shill his kickstarter project.

IMHO, it's not fair to all the other legitimate advertisers here who support BT.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-10-07 8:51 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling Safety - Would You Use This? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Cycling Safety Study

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 874 Posts: 3

2012-11-05 8:47 PM DabelDoes

Cycling safety question...

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 1422 Posts: 16

2011-03-03 7:55 AM btompkins0112

Funny but important PSA about cycling safety and drivers

Started by Mirg
Views: 639 Posts: 4

2008-03-20 6:24 PM Aikidoman

Building cycling base using Turbo trainer

Started by DenisB
Views: 2421 Posts: 2

2007-09-18 9:01 AM Machiavelo

Anyone used/using the "Be Ironfit" plan for 05/06

Started by LSD
Views: 1309 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 2:20 PM LSD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!