General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Keen cyclist looking to turn triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 5:59 AM

Subject: Keen cyclist looking to turn triathlete
Morning all,

I am so pleased I found this forum as I have been reading so much over the past few days.

I'm Mark, almost 30yo keen cyclist of all disciplines who is looking to enter my first triathlon early next year. Most probably Sprint distance to start and go from there.

I am terrible with my swimming, I can obviously swim, but front crawl is my weakest and currently I can't do the distance especially in open water! This is my main focus point over the winter is to keep getting in the pool and training as much as possible.

As a cyclist my distance on the bike is already up to scratch and the running should be pretty comfortable for me as I run currently and have run previously.

Here's to gathering more and more information from you all and hope my winter training goes well.

Mark

2014-10-01 10:45 PM
in reply to: markjtimms

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Keen cyclist looking to turn triathlete
Hi Mark,

Welcome to this great site and this great sport. Cycling is my favorite, but I think the multi sport lifestyle is really cool and good for one's overall fitness. You'll hit every muscle group for sure.

Good luck with your swimming. That is the challenging thing for lots of new triathletes. Hire a coach or join a Master's swim club if you need more help with swim form. Also checkout youtube videos for proper form and swim drills to help improve your stroke. Lots of good stuff there!

Happy training!
2014-10-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: markjtimms

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Keen cyclist looking to turn triathlete
You'll find that lots of folks come from the same thread as you. One good thing is that you will have a solid aerobic base to build off of. But, the problem is that swimming is a very technique driven activity.

I'll recommend total immersion because it did a good job of getting me where I need to be swimming wise.

If you can do many days of short work outs then that would be better than fewer longer work outs. You'll be fresher and have more body awareness in the beginning of the workouts.

Ask lots of questions and read lots of threads. Don't be scared to post up.

Welcome
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Keen cyclist looking to turn triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cyclists turned Triathletes

Started by eproffer
Views: 528 Posts: 2

2013-02-13 8:23 AM RedCorvette

SoR watcher turns into triathlete in training

Started by RaytownPete
Views: 1189 Posts: 4

2007-08-12 11:42 AM stupidnickname

Cyclist turning to Tri

Started by Redline1
Views: 441 Posts: 5

2007-01-31 9:52 AM michlmead

Ballet Dancer turned triathlete?

Started by astrodancer
Views: 943 Posts: 9

2005-08-08 3:34 PM triman50

NON-ATHLETE turned TRIATHLETE

Started by triSPAZ
Views: 1037 Posts: 8

2004-06-16 1:35 AM dhyte
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2014
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
There are many bicyclists out there who struggle through turns - slowing unnecessarily and being uncomfortable. Learn how to turn properly when riding your bicycle.

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.