Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: People on Tri Teams.
People who are on Tri teams.
I was wondering.
Outside of your coach(s) who get all the sponsorship ?
What kind of sponsorship do you have ?
What kind of sponsorship do you want ?
Does your team have people who regularly podium ?
Do members of your team do other events ? Swim or bike .. We all run.

Do you like your team kit ?
Do you travel as team to "big" races ? What I mean is do a majority choose a race and all sign up ?
If so, how do you place in the "team" time overall. Or what I mean is at IM Syracuse, our team came in second overall behind Bahrain who had 10 guys at the race.

Who manages the website ?
Do you have a team wrench ?
How do you recruit new members ?
How much is your membership ?
What do you get with your membership ?

I appreciate your time and all answers. Also, if there is anything I'm missing.

I'm asking to see how we can better our team.

2014-09-30 8:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: People on Tri Teams.

In my neck of the woods there is a difference between a "club" and a "team."

The local team is a pay-to-play where it's structured around coaching and group training. The cost is in-line with what you would pay for a one-on-one coach for the duration of a season ($500-$600). They typically pick a 70.3 and a 140.6 race to train for and travel to together. I throw this in because they are recognized by USAT as a club and typically win the regional club championship points races - even though they have a nontraditional high entry pay-to-play structure. I do love their kits.

The local club is very minimal membership ($25/year) and they provide very little value in my opinion. A few clinics from sponsors per year but no group training and no group racing to speak of. They do put on one of the more popular races in the area, though. I hate their race kits.

I used to be a member of the club but didn't renew a number of years ago as I just wasn't getting anything out of it. It seemed the clinics were just masked as sponsors trying to sell me chiropractic services or something and with no group training opportunities I wasn't sure what I was paying for.

The team is run by one of my good friends and if I won the lottery and my target race was theirs for the year I would absolutely be on board with them.

Edited by lisac957 2014-09-30 8:24 AM
2014-09-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Lisa is right about clubs. I know a lot of it is they want to have speakers and getting speakers for free tend to make there money other ways like have a book to sell or a product always helps. Even still does not mean they can not be useful.

Otherwise you get people like me was a speaker at a running club once. I ended up promoting a site called Beginner triathlete for like 20 mins. I was using this site as an example of different tools out there for logging and such.

2014-09-30 11:50 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I'll just say that clubs are definitely a regional/individual experience, because my experience with the Cleveland Tri Club is that it is an excellent group.  Tons of group training events all over town, organized training and racing events (indoor tri's, regular OWS's, usually followed by a group ride, track days, hill repeat days, ad nauseum), cookouts & other social functions, race-specific training days (like a course preview ride for Rev3 Cedar Point), etc..  AND they offer a pretty groovy looking team race kit.    I am a member, and I don't use their kit (I race for Team RWB) - and I attend very few of the group activities (somehow, they always conflict with my scheduled workout or other life event), but I have met quite a lot of incredible people that I enjoy seeing at events.  

That alone, to me, makes it worthwhile.  It makes a race feel like a reunion.

2014-09-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The team/club I am on is more than a triathlon team. We are a cancer awareness team that uses endurance sports to bring awareness. The founder of our team was a stage 4 survivor for many years until she passed last spring. We do group rides together and stuff like that and we meet up for races. We don't not really get anything out of being on the team per se, but one of the requirements for the Warriors is that you do 2 pay it forward projects a year. Those projects include doing things for people battling cancer, whether it is bringing them meals, doing yard work, cleaning their house or the team even simply brings baskets to patients with goodies in it for when they are getting their chemo treatments. A lot of the races we support and race are tied into St Jude Children's Hospital.

Not every member of the Warriors is a competitive racer. We do have some awesome race kits though. It is perfect for what I am looking for, and it has some of the best people around. And if you ever met the founder (Jessica or her husband James), you simply would just want to be around them, they are great people.

2014-10-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I am on a triathlon team, and I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can.  I'm not sure what a team wrench is?

- Over the years there have been various logos on our team kits, so I assume they have sponsored us in some form over the years, but what is more obvious is that we get discounts at local shops, the same way local clubs do.

- There are members who do regularly podium, and probably an equal number who are pushing course cutoff times.

- During winter, the races the team trains for are marathons / half marathons / 10K.  There are a few swims on our schedule as "B" or "C" races.  Plenty of people do races other than what's on the team schedule, including stand-alone run, bike and swim events.

- I love our team kits.

- Yep, we travel to big races that the team votes on. I believe we had 60 athletes at IMMT this summer.

- With so many people, we do often come in at the top of team competitions a lot.

- I'm not sure who manages the website.  We have 2 head coaches, but a pretty large support staff, including swim coaches, ride leaders, etc.. I'm guessing there's somebody on staff that does this, possibly in exchange for discounted membership fees.

- We have booths at a lot of local race expos, and large tents at any race the team travels to.

- Pricing is ~$70-80/month depending on if you pay month-to-month, semi-annually or annually.  Swim fees are extra though.

- Membership includes training plans, a coach/leader at each workout, ride sags, team atmosphere.  The local clubs in the area also have a ton of group workouts and kits, so I guess the difference is mainly the training plans and atmosphere at races.

2014-10-13 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
-- No coach-self coach.
-- umm vague here but let's go with Shop discounts and priority in service for guidelines on racing in kit and being approachable and attitude.
-- Reimbursement for races, via podium
-- Regularly?, yeah I guess so-depends on the event/discipline.
-- shop has multiple teams-Cross/Road/Mountain/Tri and CLUB

-- Ive got better but yeah (theyve gotten better over the years- LG)
Do you travel as team to "big" races ? What I mean is do a majority choose a race and all sign up ?
--I personally travel to bigger races because I do the sport for me not for the company. We do have larger team turnouts at certaim local races though. We may meet there as a team and share a tent, rom, RV, but as a whole-no.
If so, how do you place in the "team" time overall. Or what I mean is at IM Syracuse, our team came in second overall behind Bahrain who had 10 guys at the race.
--We usually don't place in the overall team aspect in TRI-I can't speak for other disciplines.

--Shop hires out
--Shop service department
--Through WOM, CLUB riders, FB, and walk in interest.
--Pay for team kit and end of season comp, along with mentioned above.
2014-10-14 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I'm on a club/team of sorts.  Actually has caused a bit of an issue since my coach has a kit and considers everyone coached as part of their "team"... but i'll get into what my club team does/has below:

All members of the team benefits from the sponsorships; next year and elite team with race reimbursement may happen

We get funding from some local businesses and discounts from local cycling/running stores 

I'll take what I can get.  Some local cycling teams have nutrition sponsors like Gu, that would be nice.  There are of course some local ones I don't want... but I digress.

Yes, but that is not a requirement for the team and while it is nice, is not a concern of the sponsors so much as being a source of good publicity and representing them with a positive image to the community.

I think I'm the only one, and I had to work in that I wear my cycling team kit during bike races instead of the tri team kit. 

Yes, it's awesome.

We mostly choose local races for large turnout purposes to be "team events".  I believe next year a select few  events will be laid out as "mandatory" and might have some sort of reimbursement attached to them. 

We currently only have a group facebook page, the club organizer manages it. 

One of our three title sponsors is a bike shop and we get service from them

Social media and through group workouts in the area

Can't really disclose that, probably could, but don't feel like throwing it out there.  it's just enough to make sure that people signing up are doing it to be a part of the team and not just for the perks.  

I received 2 cycling kits, 1 winter cycling kit, 1 tri kit, 1 running tech shirt, 1 running singlet.  In addition to the apparel we get discounts both a local bike shop and running store as well as a coaching business and computrainer studio.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » People on Tri Teams. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dream Team vs 2012 Oly Team Pages: 1 2

Started by jford2309
Views: 3385 Posts: 45

2012-07-17 10:50 PM So Fresh So Clean

People with no talent, people who can't dance...

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 1078 Posts: 13

2010-06-04 11:54 AM MikeTheBear

Jobs for people that aren't people persons? Pages: 1 2

Started by faded_memories
Views: 2170 Posts: 27

2010-05-15 12:49 AM in2deep

Team Edward or Team Jacob?? Pages: 1 2

Started by famelec
Views: 1811 Posts: 29

2009-11-24 4:24 PM KSH

Does anyone know anything about "People to People"?

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 846 Posts: 4

2006-02-08 8:27 AM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : May 2, 2011
author : Comet
Beginner Triathlete is proud to announce and feature Team Red, White and Blue as our official charity!
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.