General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does A (raw) vegan Triathlete exist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 7:53 AM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: Does A (raw) vegan Triathlete exist?
Hi guys and girls,

My last beginners question for today.

Do you think it's possible to finish an Ironman with a raw vegan diet? (High Carb, Low Protein)

Do people even manage to work out on Paleo Diets? (Low carb)

I was just wondering cause I'm all into raw vegan.

2014-09-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

Subject: RE: Does A (raw) vegan Triathlete exist?
2014-09-30 8:09 AM

User image

New user
KY
My husband and I are both vegan and have seen improvements in performances in the three years since we changed over. You'd be surprised at the number of triathletes and runners we've met who are also vegan. It seems to be even more common in the ultra-running world. In fact, Scott Jurek has a great book about the subject called "Eat to Run."

Although we are not raw, we do go through phases where we do a week or two at a time and you do feel even more energetic and clean. However, I'm too big a fan of home-cooked, comfort food (yes, it does exist in the vegan world) and doubt I will ever go completely raw.

The big surprise for me when I changed over was the taste and incredibly delicious meals. "Oh She Glows," is my favorite website for recipes... check her out.
2014-09-30 8:25 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Paleo is not necessarily low carb

Vegan is not necessarily low protein.

Plenty of triathletes following both of these dietary principles.
2014-09-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You can do it and succeed. I was raw for a very short time, now just try to stick to high carb vegan (about 99%). I have found that I feel heaps better eating Vegan and my performance agrees.

2014-09-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5055251

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Thanks A lot for the answers and also for the recipe site. I suddenly find vegan and even raw vegan stuff a lot nicer to eat. Was wondering what it does with the combination of sports.

I have found a LOT of nice recipes from Yuri Elkaim and Markus Rothkranz.

I don't like complex haute cuisine recipes with the dehydrator. Just a simple salad and smoothy will do. Plenty of variation with that.

Are nuts and seeds the only high protein sources BTW?

2014-09-30 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

broccoli is about 33% protein, seeds and nuts are also very high in fat. a handful now and then is ok but I wouldn't make them a staple. Remember with a high carb vegan diet the trick is tons of fruit, and tons of calories. If you try to just eat a green salad for a meal you will end up starving. I try to take in around 3000-3500 calories a day and I'm about 155 lbs.

2014-09-30 12:03 PM

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by Martine1975

Thanks A lot for the answers and also for the recipe site. I suddenly find vegan and even raw vegan stuff a lot nicer to eat. Was wondering what it does with the combination of sports.

I have found a LOT of nice recipes from Yuri Elkaim and Markus Rothkranz.

I don't like complex haute cuisine recipes with the dehydrator. Just a simple salad and smoothy will do. Plenty of variation with that.

Are nuts and seeds the only high protein sources BTW?

There are plenty of vegan protein options. Our go-to's are tempeh, legumes, quinoa, whole wheat grains and breads, brown rice and nut butters. It is a myth that you need meat to get your protein recommendations, and the average vegetarian diet is well over the RDA.
2014-09-30 12:10 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by mike761

Paleo is not necessarily low carb

Vegan is not necessarily low protein.

Plenty of triathletes following both of these dietary principles.

^^^ This!
2014-09-30 12:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
calorie for calorie, brocolli has more protein than steak.

You Do have to eat higher volumes of veggies to get adequate protein, but that's the point, right?

Someone mentioned being hungry after eating a green salad. Using a variety and balanced sources of nutrients at each sitting (ie greens with nuts, fruit, & other colorful cut veggies) helps satiate for a number of reasons, and if you're still hungry after eating it...have another.

The nutrient density of foods takes higher precedence than the caloric density
2014-09-30 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5055293

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
This is really awesome.

A long time ago I found out that I'm not responding well to diary products. They cause me gas (farting a LOT) lol.

I went Paleo, but suddenly all that meat eating was so gross. I saw blood drying up in the frying pan......yuk..... I saw pieces of veins in ground meat. I saw body parts in chicken.

So now I have made a shopping list for upcoming week with vegan recipes.

This website I found amazing full with FREE recipes!

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/blueberry-pina-colada-smoothie-recipe/...

Thanks for the tip to eat broccoli a lot for protein. I will buy it tomorrow, but for now I'll also just go vegan with an egg here or there.

I like a lot of raw food too and in Florida the climate is good for raw. But I like beans sometimes too.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

2014-09-30 1:55 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

This is really awesome.

A long time ago I found out that I'm not responding well to diary products. They cause me gas (farting a LOT) lol.

I went Paleo, but suddenly all that meat eating was so gross. I saw blood drying up in the frying pan......yuk..... I saw pieces of veins in ground meat. I saw body parts in chicken.

Thanks for the tip to eat broccoli a lot for protein. I will buy it tomorrow, but for now I'll also just go vegan with an egg here or there.

I like a lot of raw food too and in Florida the climate is good for raw. But I like beans sometimes too.

Broccoli makes some people fart too.

Check out Rich Roll's website & podcast, check out resources by Brendan Brazier, check out Eat to Live by physician Joel Furhman, as well as 2 other physicians high on my list Neil Barnard and Garth Davis.

No Meat athlete has a lot of great resources as well.

I feel BEST, weigh the least and have the most energy when I avoid dairy & processed wheat. it does take planning and preparation however.
2014-09-30 2:54 PM

User image

Exton, PA

This is really awesome.

There are different thoughts of paleo.

Some will say no dairy products, ground beef would also not be on the list for many.

Many who truly follow paleo or primal do not eat a lot of meat. Your primary food source would be vegetable's.

I think the one thing that paleo and vegans absolutely agree on is cutting out processed foods.
2014-09-30 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

a paleo diet is one of the worst things you can do to your body in the long term. (next to the standard american mcdonalds diet)

2014-09-30 8:23 PM

User image

Hi! it definitely can and does exist! i am not raw but I am a lifelong vegan and I have been an elite athlete my entire life...only mop in trio's tho! If you are on Facebook search for the groups, "vegan & raw vegan athletes united" "Vegan cyclists" and "VEGAN TRIATHLETES and those supporting plant-strong eating" Lots of like-minded ppl and great flow of info!

Hi guys and girls,

My last beginners question for today.

Do you think it's possible to finish an Ironman with a raw vegan diet? (High Carb, Low Protein)

Do people even manage to work out on Paleo Diets? (Low carb)

I was just wondering cause I'm all into raw vegan.
2014-09-30 8:28 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AdventureBear calorie for calorie, brocolli has more protein than steak. 

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA....I can't hear you

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does A (raw) vegan Triathlete exist? Rss Feed