United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 15m 17s
Overall Rank = 977/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 169/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at about 4:20. I already had everything set out, so the main priorities were a cup of coffee and my bagel. Once I got breakfast taken care of, it was time to head down to Transition. I got my bags dropped off, hopped on the bus to head to the swim start, and that was that! We got into line around 5:30 or, I think, and we had a great place in line. We could hear the National Anthem, and then the cannon went off for the pro's to start. After that, it was no time at all before we were moving to the dock to jump in the water.
Event warmup:

There wasn't any time for a warm up, so it was just jump in and go!
Swim
  • 59m 14s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, this will be my all-time PR, no question! All week long, we were wondering two things: what will the current be, and will we get to wear wetsuits? Well, no wetsuits, which was a good decision because the water felt perfect, and there was definitely a current. I felt good during the swim, but I didn't wear my watch, so I wasn't sure of my time until I finished the whole race. I never thought in a million years that I would break an hour. Crazy...
What would you do differently?:

haha, nothing!
Transition 1
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

I was quick, but not frantic. This time counts running up the ramp, etc. I made sure to be thorough in getting ready for the bike; I wanted to be comfortable. I'm glad I did.

I could hurry up a little, but I'm happy with the time it took me.
Bike
  • 6h 01m 50s
  • 116 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a great ride, and I'm really happy with it. My main goals were to start easy for the first 15-20 miles, stay consistent for the middle 75, and then turn on the speed a little bit for the last 30 miles, or so. For the most part, I nailed that.
Starting out, there was a yard sale at the first set of railroad tracks. There were bottles everywhere, so a lot of people started out without their nutrition. After that, it was a rolling ride out of town.
Between town and the sharp left on Hog Jowl, I rode steady and not too hard, which was great because I was between 19 and 20 mph, which is faster than I thought I could hold. My effort was steady and my legs felt good. I paced Hog Jowl hill, turned left and saw all people with flats, probably 10-15 people; I knew something must have gone wrong. After the race, we learned that someone dumped oil on part of the road, and threw out tacks in another part. It really makes me sick.
From Hog Jowl to Chickamauga, it's fast, mostly downhill. I saw my parents and Sarah's parents before town, which was awesome. There's a steep hill out of Chickamauga, but it's not terrible if you pace it. There's a really great downhill after it, as well; I think I hit 41 mph on it.
I turned left for the 2nd lap, paced Hog Jowl again, turned left for the speedy part and saw Sarah on the side of the road with a flat. It was an easy choice to stop and change it for her; I knew she could change it, but I'm much faster and more confident. I lost about 8-10 minutes there, but it was worth it. She was really appreciative, and I'm glad I was there to help!
I got the tire on, then put the hammer down. My average had gone down to 18.9, and I had every intention of getting it back up above 19 before the end.
I saw the parents again, told them about Sarah's tire so they wouldn't worry, and kept pushing. I rode the Chickamauga hill steady, then flew down the other side and then it was a fast ride back into town. I probably passed 200 people who had gotten past me while I changed the tire.
Riding into town, I heard a cop and volunteer say, "that guy was cookin'". I liked hearing that.
As far as nutrition goes, I did well. I took Gu/Bonk Breakers at the top of the hour, or more often if I felt hungry, salt at the bottom of the hour, and drank Perform throughout, based on thirst. I felt hydrated getting off the bike, which was good.

I paced it pretty perfectly. If the ride was 112, instead of 116, and I hadn't lost time changing a tire, I would have averaged 20mph, I think. I'm happy with that.
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

I moved through quickly, and my legs felt good. I got into the changing tent, and did a full change, making sure to warn the volunteer helping me out before I went all nudist on him! I felt good coming out of the tent, and the volunteers were great.

not much!
Run
  • 5h 00m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I knew that everything would come down to this: the run. For the first 8 miles, or so, I felt good. I kept my pace steady and kept moving. I took in Coke and Perform at each aid station. I slowed a little once I hit the hills, as I was well below my goal pace of 12"/mile. I saw the parents on Veterean's bridge and then headed up Barton hill. I ran the first hill, but saw that I was barely any faster, so I walked the next, but still at a good pace. I paced the hills, crossed back over the river, and moved on to my 2nd lap. I was slowing some, but was still below my goal pace, and just kept moving steadily. Around mile 20, I started feeling a little fuzzy-headed, and knew exactly what that meant! So, I slowed down, walked for a bit, and just stayed calm. I was still moving, making good time, and I was close to the end.
I crossed the bridge, and my way up Barton again. I saw Sarah at the bottom of the hill and she said that she was doing well, which was good to hear. We walked together for a bit, and then I picked up the pace. I really wanted to get 5 hours for the marathon. I picked up the pace pretty good, and managed around 10" mile for the last couple miles of the race. I heard the finish line, started with the high-fives, and ran through to the sound of Mike Reilly saying, "Jamie Roszel, you are an Ironman!"

As I'll explain later, I definitely didn't hydrate adequately ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Sooooooo....my head was buzzing, and my hands were fuzzy. I knew exactly what was up, so I said I needed the med tent. I went in, explained how I was feeling, got my two bags of IV fluid and felt like a new man. At this point, I've improved my nutrition and hydration, but I still have a ways to go! However, I am happy with my progress. I got in the med tent, got back to the room, showered, changed, and then got back to the race in time to see the last 1 1/2 hours, which was a blast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hydration, hydration, hydration. I think I could have held a better pace if I'd hydrated better.

Event comments:

This is a great race. Chattanooga is a great town, perfect for a race like this. The swim is fast and calm, the bike is challenging, but fast, and the run is tough, but runners get tons of support. I can't recommend this race enough!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:59:14 | 4224 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 187/
Overall: 1237/
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: It's a point-to-point swim from upstream on the River Walk to the steps they installed at Ross's Landing.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:01:50 | 116 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 158/
Overall: 917/
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills throughout
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:00:59 | 26.2 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 169/
Overall: 977/
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat before crossing the river, very hilly on the other side.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-30 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2014-09-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: #5055330

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga
Well done! Especially on the bike despite the 4 extra miles!
2014-09-30 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
great job out there!
2014-09-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Great job and great report!

2014-09-30 1:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Awesome job on Sunday. Nice pacing. It had been great to see you bounce back after a tough day at Louisville in 2013. So glad everything went well and you had a good day. Congrats!

2014-09-30 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Great job, great report !

2014-10-01 6:00 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Camden, NC
Nice 144.6!!!!!!
2014-10-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: HercDriver

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Really well done.

Also, congratulations on the tire change bonus points you earned. Those are worth every minute
2014-10-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Sylvania, Ga
We had to be near each other all day, I did 12:08, but you bike and swim were faster than mine. That run got me too.
2014-10-05 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Great race and I totally agree on your assessment of the race and city, wish I'd signed up for 15 at the check in.

2014-10-10 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats to you and Sarah!! Nice write up.

I'm paranoid about hydration so my guess is I'll overdo it and have to stop at every rest stop - "no really, I'm just peeing, I'm fine!"

LMAO!!

oh and nice job changing the flat! I would have been appreciative too!! Well worth the time it cost you - it'll come back to you in karma!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-10-10 12:11 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous

Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Started by ADollar79
Views: 2620 Posts: 8

2006-07-17 5:04 PM brilliantjoy

chattanooga chase

Started by cornelius300
Views: 784 Posts: 1

2006-05-29 7:02 AM cornelius300

Chattanooga Waterfront

Started by bagordonjr
Views: 726 Posts: 1

2005-09-14 9:11 PM bagordonjr

Chattanooga Waterfront

Started by KSMITH
Views: 1379 Posts: 9

2005-07-18 8:46 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.